Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Question for Andersen Ultimate 5th Connection Users

Friday we went to pick up our new 2019 Sandpiper. I had decided to use the Andersen ultimate fifth wheel connection. Our dealer doesn't sell them so it was up to me to install it. Putting the base in the truck is a breeze. Installing the coupler didn't go as planned. I had checked and double check that I had all the tools I needed. What I didn't notice is that my 1/4' hex head socket wasn't long enough to reach two of the Allen screws. Since it was getting dark and the dealer ship was closing I made the decision to come back on Saturday after finding a longer socket. I ended up finding a set at Home Depot and we went back in the cold and pouring rain to finish installation and bring the trailer home. I was on the last screw of the second sequence or torquing the screws to 40 ft-lbs. when I snapped the end of the socket off. After throwing a the sock and many 4 lettered works I was able to finish installation.

I ran in to one more snag that left me frustrated and the trailer at the dealer. I need to mount the handle for the locking mechanism and the supplied sheet metal screws won't really screw in to the pin box. I am going to have to return with a drill bit but I also need a good locations. For those using the same hitch where did you mount your handle?
cstreu1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #2

I had the original AU from early 2013, so your's may be a bit different. In the instructions that came with mine it said to snug up the 4 allen head screws on the adapter to the pinbox, I don't remember any specific torque setting. That must have been some tool that breaks at 40 ft/lbs, you did use a torque wrench?
I installed the cable mount to the underside of the trailer about 1' from the pinbox with self tapping screws where it was easy for me to reach but would never make contact with the side of the truck bed. I also drilled a small hole through the push rod and the sleeve near the pull handle and installed a small r-pin to prevent the cable from ever coming lose on it's own.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post
I ran in to one more snag that left me frustrated and the trailer at the dealer. I need to mount the handle for the locking mechanism and the supplied sheet metal screws won't really screw in to the pin box. I am going to have to return with a drill bit but I also need a good locations. For those using the same hitch where did you mount your handle?
I just twist-tied mine on until I was ready to pick it's final point:

You can see the heavy wrap and I just hung it from the cord. There's no stress on it and I'd use 2 hands to push/pull the handle in it.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #4

It did break while using it with the torque wrench. Nothing but the highest quality Chinese made tools from Home Depot. I did find set of impact sockets that should be long enough and not break at less that 40 ft'lbs.

Did you mount yours to the fiberglass? I considered that option but I didn't want to risk cracking the fiberglass nose.
cstreu1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Site Team

I mounted ours at the seam where the front cap meets the overhang sheeting. I can provide a picture of it if you'd like.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

We mounted ours under the front overhang about 1 ft back from the hitch about about a foot to the driver's side.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

We were advised not to install on underside or camper. Have pointing towards tailgate on camper hitch.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
It did break while using it with the torque wrench. Nothing but the highest quality Chinese made tools from Home Depot. I did find set of impact sockets that should be long enough and not break at less that 40 ft'lbs.

Did you mount yours to the fiberglass? I considered that option but I didn't want to risk cracking the fiberglass nose.

Yeah, you get what you pay for I guess.
I used self tapping screws and fastened the bracket right to the fiberglass without pre-drilling. Make sure you hand tighten the screws with a screwdriver not a power tool.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Site Team

I bought mine in June of 2014 so it may be different. My connector block is fixed in place by 4 quarter inch Allen head set screws. So I tightened mine with a .25” Allen wrench, not a socket. Here’s of pic of how I installed my latch handle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1312.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	192565

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #10

Go buy a 6mm T-handled Allen wrenches.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #11

We just brought our new 5er home last Thursday. The delivery did not go as planned, so I, too, didn't get my lock handle mounted. Also, I wasn't sure of the orientation of how I wanted the coupler, either facing fore or aft, so I just carefully laid it in the bed of the truck for the 125 mile ride home. I'm bringing it home tomorrow from storage to truly move into it, so I'll handle it then. If the self tappers don't bite, I'll pre-drill holes, or just drill straight through and bolt it to the pin box. I had issues with the 1/4'' hex screws too. As I approached 40 ft lbs, I felt I was either going to break my cheepazz bit, or strip the heads. I'm going to track down my Snap On dealer and get a bit from him. You're going to love that hitch! Due to space, we had to hook up at an extreme side angle, AND the truck and camper being nowhere near on the same plane. All went well in the end, but I don't know if I could have done it with a conventional hitch.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbutler View Post
Go buy a 6mm T-handled Allen wrenches.
He'll be hard pressed to know when he hits that 40 ft lb spec for tightening them that way.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Currently mine is mounted on the pinbox not far from the emergency release (but not in it's way). For awhile I just used a small screw and bolt and attached it using the holes that are on the front lip of the pin box. As for the allen head screws, I've put mine on and taken it off many times (mostly as changed to different pinboxes). A few times I didn't have the allen head socket and I just used an allen wrench out of the cheap set I have. I used a channel lock plier to grip the lower section and hand tightened. The adapter block has never moved.

By the way, I wouldn't be too permanent on your handle install just yet. You might decide you want to reverse the adapter block and that can impact where you mount the handle.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #14

I mounted my lock handle with two of these magnets: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Magnet...nd+base+magnet

I've been moving it around on the pin box, looking for just the right spot.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #15

I'd be taking that set back to Home Depot! I'd think 40 ft. lbs. should be easy for even China metals. If you drill a small pilot hole and put in the self tapping screws it will go right in.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Friday we went to pick up our new 2019 Sandpiper. I had decided to use the Andersen ultimate fifth wheel connection. Our dealer doesn't sell them so it was up to me to install it. Putting the base in the truck is a breeze. Installing the coupler didn't go as planned. I had checked and double check that I had all the tools I needed. What I didn't notice is that my 1/4' hex head socket wasn't long enough to reach two of the Allen screws. Since it was getting dark and the dealer ship was closing I made the decision to come back on Saturday after finding a longer socket. I ended up finding a set at Home Depot and we went back in the cold and pouring rain to finish installation and bring the trailer home. I was on the last screw of the second sequence or torquing the screws to 40 ft-lbs. when I snapped the end of the socket off. After throwing a the sock and many 4 lettered works I was able to finish installation.

I didn't have any problems with my install. I really don't like poking holes in my equipment if I don't have to! I bought two 1" diameter magnets with metal backing and a 3/16" hole in the center. Attached magnets to holes in bracket and placed on swing arm. Pull it off unlatch place it back, done! No issues in two years. Thanks.
Bill Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #17

Go to " help.andersonhitches.com ". Look at installation videos for gooseneck mount ultimate 5th wheel connection. Also don't forget to add safety chains to your hitch.
Ourtime0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
He'll be hard pressed to know when he hits that 40 ft lb spec for tightening them that way.
Then my a 6mm 1/2" socket and torque it.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #19

I had wondered about snapping the hex sockets with the torque wrench. In fact, when I took my rig in for its 1 yr warranty list I had to remove the coupler & reinstall it at pickup time.

The Stanley set of bits from Walmart twist quite a bit but they do withstand the torque click at 40lbs. (I do close my eyes and turn my head just in case the tool shatters). Can u post a link of the bit you are happy with?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	192567 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	192568Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	192569

I mounted my handle to the back of the pin box using the self-tapping screws provided.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbutler View Post
Then my a 6mm 1/2" socket and torque it.
Bingo!