Old 04-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Out of Order

Question regarding 5th wheel pin weight

Does the entire pin weight of a fifth wheel count towards payload in the tow vehicle? I'm assuming so since it seems logical that the pin weight is carried in the bed of the truck. Just looking around for fun I see that my F 250 can tow most popular 5th wheels in terms of max towing and GCVWR but the pin weights are near or at my max payload. BTW, totally happy with our TT but always looking to get educated.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #2

I'm the dummy/novice on this...........but this is the VERY reason that I traded for a Dually in advance of ordering our 5er. I had towing capacity with the 3/4 ton, but it had payload of 2,286 and my pin weight unloaded will be 2,407, and more loaded. I was over the limit before I started. Luckily, I got a great deal on a Dually........but it is Payload that made my decision.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #3

I just went thru all the calculations on my truck to choose a 5th wheel. Yes, the entire pin wt. must be calculated, plus the wt. of the hitch and a percentage of any gear you might add to the coach. there is a sticker on your left door jamb giving you the rear gross axel weight rating. Have the rear axel weighed at a Cat scale or a recycling center. Subtract the actual wt. from the GAWR of the rear axel. The difference is what you can safely carry. I hope this helps , see you on the road!
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Yes, the entire pin weight factors towards payload.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Great job doing the math and dispelling the myth that is truck manufacturers marketing. As long as the trailer is properly loaded, TV payload will pretty much always be the limiting factor...at least with SRW trucks...I've never bothered with doing the math on a dually as personally, I would sooner get a smaller trailer.

Side note...Why don't they make a dually where the axle is narrower and all four tires fit in the standard width bed? I realize the space between the wheelhouses would be reduced, but I am pretty sure there would still be plenty of room for a 5th wheel hitch. I would consider this option long before buying one the way they build them now.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

Years ago Chevy made a one-off dually that way. Sure reduced bed space, but it would fit in a standard garage. Must not have generated enough interest they did not make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Great job doing the math and dispelling the myth that is truck manufacturers marketing. As long as the trailer is properly loaded, TV payload will pretty much always be the limiting factor...at least with SRW trucks...I've never bothered with doing the math on a dually as personally, I would sooner get a smaller trailer.

Side note...Why don't they make a dually where the axle is narrower and all four tires fit in the standard width bed? I realize the space between the wheelhouses would be reduced, but I am pretty sure there would still be plenty of room for a 5th wheel hitch. I would consider this option long before buying one the way they build them now.

Part of the added stability of a dually is the wider stance. Narrowing it to fit in the fenders would bring you back to the same functionality of a SRW 1 ton. The limit difference between the two is the total tire capacity of 4 versus 2 tires.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Old 04-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

There are many 5ers with pin weights from 1200# - 1700# just as there are some at twice that. Since you own the truck look around and you should be able to find what you want.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

As previously said, entire pin weight goes against payload. Another caution has to do with equipment adds. Your 3/4 ton will have a posted payload in the door jam of the truck but that will be reduced for the following: side steps added aftermarket, airbags, total hitch (if it's 2 parts, add both), bed cover, bed liner.

Best way to get the true Payload is to go to a CAT scale and weigh the truck with all your stuff in it. Look at the door jam GVWR (my 2500 is 10,000). Subtract your CAT score from the GVWR and that's your remaining Payload for the trailer.

Now when shopping for the 5er, remember the mfg published pin weight doesn't include the 60# battery and the dual 45# propane tanks.

Some experienced towers compare their payload numbers to whats available for the truck's published rear axle and tires. For instance, my truck's GVWR is 10,000 but the GWR for the front axle plus the rear axle is 11,200. My rig fully loaded is about 1,000 below the Rear rating but almost exactly on the GVWR rating.
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Best way to get the true Payload is to go to a CAT scale and weigh the truck with all your stuff in it. Look at the door jam GVWR (my 2500 is 10,000). Subtract your CAT score from the GVWR and that's your remaining Payload for the trailer.
Some experienced towers compare their payload numbers to whats available for the truck's published rear axle and tires. For instance, my truck's GVWR is 10,000 but the GWR for the front axle plus the rear axle is 11,200.
Adding all the axles is how ALL other highway trucks are calculated on any scales, or road checks. My straight 3 axle farm has a 12,000 + 2 - 20,000 axles = GVWR of 52,000 lbs. Therefore a 2500 is at 11,200, if weighed on the highway. And max towing , GCWR = 24,500, SAME as a 3500 SRW. Just stay under axles and all is legal.You need to be licensed for that GCWR also, check if those axle weights can be licensed.

Tags
5th wheel, weight, wheel