Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Question regarding mounting hitch to camper

Got a 2005 Forest River Flagstaff ultralite. We are going to Disney World in about 2 1/2 weeks. We live in NE Georgia (so about 500 miles each way).

In the past several months I have talked to a BUNCH of people that have double towed through both GA and FL with no problems or looks. I've talked to 2 GA troopers who didn't have a clue about double towing laws.

My MAIN concern is attaching the hitch to the back of the 5th. The frame rails are around 1/8th thick (thin). It has a receviver box already attached to the tube bumper from previous owner.

I would like to run some bracing/ tubing/ plate from frame rails, gusset them to the tube bumper, and attach the receiver hitch to that with bolts. OR, get a wide span receiver hitch.

Trailer is a 6X12 weighing around 900-1000lbs and the cart is a gas EZGO. I guesstimate the tongue weight would be 400-500lbs max.

What say ye???

Firescooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Head Rambler
I have a cousin and a BIL that both double tow in Alabama and have never been given a second look. They both tow boats and I'm sure that's heavier than your cart. If you're not confident in your ability to add the proper bracing you should hire a welding shop to do it for you.

Double towing is more of a challenge than normal and that's something you'll have to learn.

One word of caution. Both RV's that I'm familiar with are NOT ultralite's so their frames are heavier. Just take this into consideration before adding anything to yours.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Firescooby, you might want to check out with both Georgia and Florida DMV......and get the name of the person you talk to, just in case.

I found this:

According to the chart, Georgia or Florida do not allow "Triple Tow". I don't know if that means that you can't have 3 units with wheels on the ground (TV + 2 trailers), or if that means 3 trailers......I presume the 1st scenario would be the most likely.

Also, you have to consider the overall lengths.....60' in GA., and 65' in FL. I know that I am right at 50' with my TV and trailer, so adding anything would be out of the question.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote