Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #1

Questioning trailer size

This past weekend I made my first trip with our Wildwood 31QBSS that involved actual hills....typically I go to Florida, Al, MS, and east Texas where I never had a problem pulling. Once I encountered the hills I noticed some strain on the engine....I anticipated a little but....once I got home I started investigating weights more. I have a 2004 F250 6.0 diesel and the trailer weighs around 8K all loaded. Did I foolishly assume the F250 would have no issues pulling the trailer or did I over do it? I went to this link but soon got overwhelmed with all the numbers Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

Can someone tell me if I'm ok with what I'm running? We are anticipating a trip to the Grand Canyon shortly and I know there is some steep grades there.
Equalizer Hitch
OSCBRADLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #2

Sorry, should have included that the truck is a crew cab, shortbox. Thanks.
Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #3

I believe your max tow rating would be around 12.5K, so I don't see a problem with a loaded TT that weighs 8K. I'm guessing your just not use to towing in mountains. "Some strain", as you put it, I would think is normal. But what do I know? I live in eastern OK and we just have a few rolling hills here.

I'm sure that someone on this forum tows in the moutains with something similar to your set up and will have better info.

Relax and enjoy that trip. Sounds like fun.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #4

Thanks, I appreciate the info, your set up looks similar to mine....do you use the tow/haul button when you encounter hills?
Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #5

Mine is a gasser, 3:73 rear end and I use the tow/haul button from the time I hitch up til I get to where I'm going. So far no problems but like I said I just have a few hills to climb.

The most strain I have encountered is on a fairly steep grade (for eastern OK), about 3 or 4 miles long, the truck down shifted to 3rd and the rpm's topped out at a little under 4K, but it kept the speed up, 65 mph's. Oh yeah, I was using cruise control as well.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

That truck should be able pull that trailer with no problem. Now, grhodes50 may be right. Maybe if you could explain a little more about just what the issues are. I live just north of Houston, so have done pretty much the same thing as you. I had a 5.4L F-250 prior to this one, and a 5500 pound TT. I did one pull to Tennessee up some mountains, and had no issues. The 5.4L would scream a bit, but that's the way it was built. And since I'll be heading to Branson in a couple of weeks, I would be interested to see just what comes of this thread. I think though that you must may not be used to what mountain towing entails.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #7

Well I'm feeling better now.....I guess I was just concerned at how different the engine sounds when I have the tow/haul button on...just sounds like it strains more...not quite screaming as you mentioned but definitely sounds like its having a harder time. To compensate for this I tend to back off the gas a bit till it downshifts and sounds better but then I lose serious speed.....I'm guessing this is normal sound and transmission is compensating for weight? Obviously I'm no gearhead which could be my problem here, maybe I'm to concerned for how the engine "sounds"......
Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #8

I think you're fine. Truck is rated to tow 12500 according to Ford specs. I used to tow with a 7.3 manual, now have a 6.4 auto, so I'm not exactly familiar with your setup. Reading different forums, I do think the 6.0 motors wound up a little higher RPM than the others. Tow haul will change your shift points, so the truck doesn't lug. Higher RPM's won't necessarily hurt it, just decrease your fuel mileage a little. Don't think you have to worry about backing off, the truck knows what it wants. Like Grhodes50, I leave my tow haul on from start to finish.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #9

Your powerstroke was made to work . The strain your speaking of is actually good for it.All desiel s need to work to preform there best. Most people buy a desiel and bog it around town with no load. Now for the tow haul switch. It should be used any time you tow anything anywhere. Not just in the hills. It s not to save your engine but your trans. It changes the shift points and does not allow slip when shifting while towing. Thus making it shift a little harder than normal.
Iam not a pro by any means. I change my motor oil every 5 K use full sintec, trans oil every 50K full sintec, rear end lube evry 100K . And I trade in at 500K . 3 trucks all have made the 500 K without major issues.
Best of luck with your rig and many happy trails.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the input !!! I will sleep better tonight I guess I was just a little concerned at how hard it seemed the engine was working but like flirtypup said, the diesel was made to work....
Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #11

I think you are just spoiled from driving on flat land, your truck will pull your trailer with no problem, however you have just confused "no problem" with "like it's not even there"

Those of us who live in mountain terrain know that the saying "like it's not even there" doesn't exist, but even the big rigs tug and pull the long hills and they are built for towing from day one. Enjoy it and know that you have the right truck and it knows how to work for you
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #12

Thanks flyrotor, I will do just that....guess I am spoiled.....perhaps a trip to the Smokey Mountains is what I need to set me straight....or maybe the Grand Canyon
Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My 5.4 L gasser does just fine in them there hills. I won't win any races except maybe with a loaded big rig.

You should be fine with the 6.0 L diesel.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote