Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #31

Questions about 5th vs TT towing

I have the 2011 version of your TV. My TT is the V-Lite 30WTBSK, 7304+1587. I work at a GM dealership (I am not a tech). I have talked to the techs and service manager extensively about our TV power train vs towing. The 13,000lb tow rating is for our TV with the 4.10 gear, 9800= 3.73 gear. Everything else is identical. The 4.10 will boost your torque. The shop consensus is the 3.73 can tow anything the 4.10 can tow, until you get into trouble. You are going to be on the upper edge of your TV capability. We are thinking of stepping up to a 5er. My biggest hold back is my TV. Although my TV does a great job. I'll switch to a diesel if I go to a larger trailer. Its one thing to get the TT/5er rolling. It another thing to control them and get them stopped.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
^^^^^^What is the significance of this?^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The primary reason for setting a GCWR for any vehicle is safety. Overloading a tow vehicle or a trailer is dangerous enough. Overload both and you've really got a problem. Not only is a heavy load difficult to control on the road, but several other components could also be at risk. For example, the braking systems may overheat and fail, reducing or even eliminating the possibility of safely slowing or stopping your vehicle. The tires may not be able to handle the extra load, potentially causing a blow out situation. The engine and transmission in the tow vehicle may overheat due to the added strain, causing a mechanical failure. Components within the tow vehicle or trailer's suspension system could bend or even break, causing you to lose control on the road. The truth is that a variety of problems could result from overloading. Again, you should never surpass your vehicle's GCWR."

How Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) Works - HowStuffWorks

2009 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2014 33' SOB TT
TheDiGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #33

I wasn't asking what the significance was of a GCWR, I was asking what the significance was of sail2liv to state what the GCW would be. I know more than I want to about weights and weight ratings since I run a semi at 105k several thousand miles per year. At 16k, I don't know what sail2liv was getting at. Do they think that's too much? Just trying to understand, that's all.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #34

I don't miss the bed space at all. I have a Reese Elite 16k hitch with under truck bed mount. It removes easily enough if we want to use the whole truck bed with pucks to fill the holes. And when pulling the 5er there's still room in the bed to put some odds and ends. We found we have more storage in the 5er so only the dogs ramp gets put back there when we travel.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
I wasn't asking what the significance was of a GCWR, I was asking what the significance was of sail2liv to state what the GCW would be. I know more than I want to about weights and weight ratings since I run a semi at 105k several thousand miles per year. At 16k, I don't know what sail2liv was getting at. Do they think that's too much? Just trying to understand, that's all.

Sorry, I'm sure the 16k was to me, since that's the GCWR limit for my truck. I'll be hitting the scales as soon as I pick up the new TT this week to see where we stand on the GCWR.

2009 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2014 33' SOB TT
TheDiGs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing