Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #21

switched from a TT to 5er... difference in towing is day and night.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #22

Wow, tons of responses, thank you ALL. (I read some last night, then hubby and I discussed and debated and considered for literally hours what we wanted to do!)

We had almost talked ourselves into the 5th wheel (which would have been quite a bit more than we were planning to spend when I considered the cost of a good hitch installed) when I stumbled across THE TT at a local lot.

I'm thrilled to say we purchased a new TT today, but very very sad to say it isn't FR :-( Not sure if I'll still be welcome here, but even if not, 5 years ago you guys steered me into the right truck, and without it, I wouldn't have been able to buy the TT today (it's heavy too, gah)

We bought a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32FR (I believe the correct model number is M33FR, it shares the floorplan with the ST33FR, and NADA doesn't even show a 32FR lol. I'll be calling Crossroads RV on Monday to find out what's up with that!)

2009 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2014 33' SOB TT
TheDiGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #23
Always Learning

Congrats on the TT purchase! And, of course, you're still welcome here! We'll just call you a "Some Other Brand" (SOB).
Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Congrats on the TT purchase! And, of course, you're still welcome here! We'll just call you a "Some Other Brand" (SOB).
Awww thanks! I updated my signature just for you

2014 33' SOB TT
Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiGs View Post
Awww thanks! I updated my signature just for you

LOL, nicely done. If it helps, you're not the only SOB around here.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
GCWR should be around 16k.......keep that in mind

^^^^^^What is the significance of this?^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #27
fmc

Once you pull a 5er you will never go back to a TT. Your truck should pull it.
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 AM   #28

Bikes?
Although we have a TT, I wanted to use the PU bed to haul other stuff so I secure the bikes to quick release mounts added to new 5/8" ply sheets placed under the dinette cushions. Once the bikes are gone, we flip the mounts to the underside & drop the cushions back into place... You can do this in many 5ers if you can't mount them on the back bumper, etc...

Other Stuff?
Our family of 5 camps for 10-14 days at a time so I'm glad our TT has a payload of 2,700... In addition to having (5) bikes in the dinette area, (5) heavier comfy floating chairs fill the space below the master bed, our pantry, closets, & both fridges are totally full, plus we bring (10) gallons of drinking water & enough water in the FW & Black tanks to handle a few emergency stops along the way... We also added (2) MaxxAir fans & heavier/comfy mattresses so our TT payload is now around 1600 w/tongue weight around 1100...

Fiberglass Cap...
I added the fiberglass cap to our TV because we fly R/C planes... However, it's also great for hauling enough firewood for a 10 day stay along with scooters & other outdoor toys for the kids... When we leave our campsite for a day trip we can throw what we are taking under the cap & I don't have to worry about stuff getting wet, blown-away, or stolen. I am also considering mounting (2) tandem fishing kayaks on top when our kids get a little older...

Although 5ers tow better having a fiberglass cap & TT fit our lifestyle better. When its time to take longer trips out West, etc. we will probably upgrade directly to a MH & not a 5er...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #29
Retired Army MSG!

Bikes and such.

Bikes and kayaks are a real problem for me with the 5vr. I still prefer my 5vr over the TT we had. Last year on our ten day vacation I used a 4 bike rack inserted into the receiver mount on bumper of 5vr and did not like the bouncing and was so relieved once I arrived home safely with everything intact. I have re recently purchased a front mount receiver hitch to haul bikes on front of TV. As for my kayak it is 12 feet long so I wrapped in a shipping blanket last year and secured in the hallway of my 5vr. It was a pain to load and unload very carefully not to rub against walls and cabinets. I have since purchased a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak so,that solved that problem. It is amazing how much stuff we take to relax for a week or so. But man isn't it fun.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
X2. Nice little rig there! And as SOB's go.. you're in good company and always welcome.

Wow! That's a ton of bunk space. I think I lost count around 10. No... 11.. 12??

Congrats!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #31

Questions about 5th vs TT towing

I have the 2011 version of your TV. My TT is the V-Lite 30WTBSK, 7304+1587. I work at a GM dealership (I am not a tech). I have talked to the techs and service manager extensively about our TV power train vs towing. The 13,000lb tow rating is for our TV with the 4.10 gear, 9800= 3.73 gear. Everything else is identical. The 4.10 will boost your torque. The shop consensus is the 3.73 can tow anything the 4.10 can tow, until you get into trouble. You are going to be on the upper edge of your TV capability. We are thinking of stepping up to a 5er. My biggest hold back is my TV. Although my TV does a great job. I'll switch to a diesel if I go to a larger trailer. Its one thing to get the TT/5er rolling. It another thing to control them and get them stopped.
Damule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
^^^^^^What is the significance of this?^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The primary reason for setting a GCWR for any vehicle is safety. Overloading a tow vehicle or a trailer is dangerous enough. Overload both and you've really got a problem. Not only is a heavy load difficult to control on the road, but several other components could also be at risk. For example, the braking systems may overheat and fail, reducing or even eliminating the possibility of safely slowing or stopping your vehicle. The tires may not be able to handle the extra load, potentially causing a blow out situation. The engine and transmission in the tow vehicle may overheat due to the added strain, causing a mechanical failure. Components within the tow vehicle or trailer's suspension system could bend or even break, causing you to lose control on the road. The truth is that a variety of problems could result from overloading. Again, you should never surpass your vehicle's GCWR."

How Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) Works - HowStuffWorks

2014 33' SOB TT
Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #33

I wasn't asking what the significance was of a GCWR, I was asking what the significance was of sail2liv to state what the GCW would be. I know more than I want to about weights and weight ratings since I run a semi at 105k several thousand miles per year. At 16k, I don't know what sail2liv was getting at. Do they think that's too much? Just trying to understand, that's all.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #34

I don't miss the bed space at all. I have a Reese Elite 16k hitch with under truck bed mount. It removes easily enough if we want to use the whole truck bed with pucks to fill the holes. And when pulling the 5er there's still room in the bed to put some odds and ends. We found we have more storage in the 5er so only the dogs ramp gets put back there when we travel.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
I wasn't asking what the significance was of a GCWR, I was asking what the significance was of sail2liv to state what the GCW would be. I know more than I want to about weights and weight ratings since I run a semi at 105k several thousand miles per year. At 16k, I don't know what sail2liv was getting at. Do they think that's too much? Just trying to understand, that's all.

Sorry, I'm sure the 16k was to me, since that's the GCWR limit for my truck. I'll be hitting the scales as soon as I pick up the new TT this week to see where we stand on the GCWR.

2014 33' SOB TT

Tags
towing