Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Site Team

Question Questions about hitching up

Someone else will be helping me hitch up tomorrow and I am having trouble remembering how to connect the ball to the hitch (The piece that covers the ball is the hitch?). Can anyone refresh my memory?

After backing the Yukon up to the trailer do I move that sliding thing up and raise the tongue jack? And then what? How can I tell that its connected besides not seeing a big gap? The last couple of times we been having trouble connecting and also disconnecting the trailer from the TV. Now I'm all confused

I do remember how to attach the spring bars and anti-swag bar so I'm good with those.

Thanks,
T.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi T. Here's the process.

Have your helper direct you so the ball is still a few inches away from the coupler.

Slide the coupler latch back as far as it goes. This moves the coupler lock clear of the ball.

Raise the tongue to a level slightly higher than the top of the ball.

Back the truck so ball is under coupler.

Lower tongue so coupler rests completely on ball and jack is off ground.

Move coupler latch forward and put pin or a lock on it. The latch pin will only go in if latch is down as far as it goes. That is how you know coupler is latched securely.

If latch won't move forward because ball is blocking it, than try moving the truck very slightly forward. Just putting the truck in neutral should release the pressure.

You know the rest about how to set up your wdh.

Good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Don't forget that the safety chains are X'ed ONCE under the hitch to the frame mount. The idea is that if the hitch uncouples, the hitch coupler and trailer tongue will be "cradled" by the safety chains and kept from hitting the ground and digging in. Don't make the safety chains so long that they drag on the ground as it will defeat their purpose or so short that they bind in turns.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi T. Here's the process.

Have your helper direct you so the ball is still a few inches away from the coupler.

Slide the coupler latch back as far as it goes. This moves the coupler lock clear of the ball.

Raise the tongue to a level slightly higher than the top of the ball.

Back the truck so ball is under coupler.

Lower tongue so coupler rests completely on ball and jack is off ground.

Move coupler latch forward and put pin or a lock on it. The latch pin will only go in if latch is down as far as it goes. That is how you know coupler is latched securely.

If latch won't move forward because ball is blocking it, than try moving the truck very slightly forward. Just putting the truck in neutral should release the pressure.

You know the rest about how to set up your wdh.

Good luck.
Thanks for the directions! It will be kept on my phone for future trips. Your directions hit upon a couple of problem area but now I have the steps to follow.

Today nothing went as planned from the start. I got 3 hours behind schedule due to a flat tire on my car. (I ran over a very large screw in a construction area.) I couldn't make the limited time frame my helper was available so my b-i-l (headache and all) came to my rescue (he has hitched me up before).

I hope to practice hitching and disconnecting at the campground or when I drop the tt off at the storage place. Until I master this I will dread hitching up. The best way to learn it is to follow directions and practice.

To disconnect the couple from the ball is it exactly the same but in reverse? The last two times it's been a bear to seperate.

Thanks again,
Terie

Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Don't forget that the safety chains are X'ed ONCE under the hitch to the frame mount. The idea is that if the hitch uncouples, the hitch coupler and trailer tongue will be "cradled" by the safety chains and kept from hitting the ground and digging in. Don't make the safety chains so long that they drag on the ground as it will defeat their purpose or so short that they bind in turns.
Do you mean an X by criss Crossing them? Left hook to right side, right hook to left side?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Do you mean an X by criss Crossing them? Left hook to right side, right hook to left side?
Yes, exactly. The chains should form a cradle under the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equal-I-Zer Hitch installation.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6649  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Thanks Herk for the picture. Sometimes seeing something is easier to understand.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #8

I have never usually had a helper for hitching up. Trial and error, in and out of the truck. I could usually do it within 3 tries.
Now I have a rear camera, night vision and all with a tv screen view of the hitch. Usually get it on the first try now. Mine is connected to my 10" overhead screen, but they sell portable battery versions for well under a hundred bucks now that are much more versatile than mine.
Might try one and then you can practice hitching up to your hearts content without needing help and with less frustration.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

T-
To disconnect is the same but in reverse as you say.

Try this if the coupler can't clear the ball when you lift it off. The ball is probably causing presure within the coupler.

Make sure truck and trailer are in line with eachother. There can be some angle, but its easier if they line up.

Chock your wheels.

Place coupler latch all the way back.

Extend the jack a little.

Go back to your truck and put the truck into neutral. This should relieve the presure. Put in park and set emergency brake.

Extend jack again and see if it slides off hitch. Repeat placing truck in neutral if the ball is still stuck in coupler.

Your plan to practice is a good one. I have to practice with any new trailer or boat as each one is different.

The backup cameras work great if you find yourself hitching up solo often.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
T-
To disconnect is the same but in reverse as you say.

Try this if the coupler can't clear the ball when you lift it off. The ball is probably causing presure within the coupler.

Make sure truck and trailer are in line with eachother. There can be some angle, but its easier if they line up.

Chock your wheels.

Place coupler latch all the way back.

Extend the jack a little.

Go back to your truck and put the truck into neutral. This should relieve the presure. Put in park and set emergency brake.

Extend jack again and see if it slides off hitch. Repeat placing truck in neutral if the ball is still stuck in coupler.

Your plan to practice is a good one. I have to practice with any new trailer or boat as each one is different.

The backup cameras work great if you find yourself hitching up solo often.
I usually am in park with the brake on, might not be in a straight line since I have to back into my space as well. I will follow your directions and see how things goes. I forgot to say that I really like that you did not give me the unhitching directions when I asked about hitching up. I'm the type of person when havng trouble needs to master step one before moving onto step two.

Sister's Yukon don't have a backup camera but when I am able to get my own truck it will have a backup camer & tow mirrors. My Rav4 has the backup camera which I really love using.

In the meantime I do have those hitching posts from CW which does an good enough job if I'm in a pitch. Having my TV would help too because I would be familiar with it more.

Since I should be line up pretty well at the CG in the pull-through site it should be a good time to practice especially with other RVers around. I am rested and will be heading out after lunch to the local campground. I am planning on unhitching and then hitching after I set up camp and get dinner started in the slow cooker.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Triguy-
No trouble today with unhitching thanks to your directions. I think the major problem was due to being in park with the brake on.

There's hope for me yet

Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Along with a couple of alignment rods, this helps me during the hook-up procedure:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-14496.html
Attached Images

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
(Kim)

It's been a bitch for me also, to get unhitched.

It seems the ball gets 'stuck' in the coupler and I actually have to jump on the bumper to get it to release.

Never tried putting it in neutral though......
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #14

Maybe cuz I come from a family of ranchers etc but never in my life have I found it difficult to hitch up or unhitch. If trailer doesn't unhitch just jump on truck bumper. Simple as that. It's also good to have your mechanical parts well lubricated.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
It's been a bitch for me also, to get unhitched.

It seems the ball gets 'stuck' in the coupler and I actually have to jump on the bumper to get it to release.

Never tried putting it in neutral though......
Try neutral (no brake) and let me know if it work for you or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
Maybe cuz I come from a family of ranchers etc but never in my life have I found it difficult to hitch up or unhitch. If trailer doesn't unhitch just jump on truck bumper. Simple as that. It's also good to have your mechanical parts well lubricated.
My helper(s) have bounced on the SUV bumper but it was still not an easy task to unhitch. With some 7 or 8 foot and/or ankles surgeries behind me this is not really an option for me to do myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Along with a couple of alignment rods, this helps me during the hook-up procedure:
I almost brought that hitching mirror but the lady at CW talked into the hitching rods instead. While the rods are a bit of hit or miss they do help if I am backing up by myself. I usually end up about a inch off the mark until I can determine my slightly off center alignment view.

Tell me about using the mirror. Can you see it in the rearview mirror and can you see how close you really are?

When I get a TV for my trailer it will have towing mirrors and a backup camera.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #16

To line up to the trailer ball, I don't use any gadgets and hit it center almost every time.

When pulling the trailer straight I have learned the width of the trailer verses the back of my truck and how it looks in my mirrors. When I back the up towards the trailer I first make sure that I am strait on, then I line up the spots as I am used to seeing them in the mirrors and I can usually put the trailer ball dead center in front of the hitch. I do use one of my kids to stop me when the trailer ball is directly under the hitch, but they never have to direct me left or right.

I think the key to all this is I always use ONLY the mirrors when backing towards the trailer, I never look over my shoulder, if I do, I will miss.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I almost brought that hitching mirror but the lady at CW talked into the hitching rods instead. While the rods are a bit of hit or miss they do help if I am backing up by myself. I usually end up about a inch off the mark until I can determine my slightly off center alignment view.
Tell me about using the mirror. Can you see it in the rearview mirror and can you see how close you really are?
The mirror works well. I will line up the mirror before pulling the truck into position......I try to figure out exactly where my inside review mirror will be. Usually I don't have to adjust the mirror up or down, as I have the tongue about the same height every time.

My unit is home made. I posted in a thread here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mods-6011.html

I started with a convex mirror, but image was too small. The problem with the flat mirror is that I have to have it pretty much on the mark beforehand, or I will still have to get out of the truck to adjust.

I still use 1 hitching rod on the hitch shank. I use the mirror as the alignment for the trailer, and "allow" for the slight offset. Once I see the hitch ball in the mirror, then I can make small side to side adjustments as needed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote