Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post

You mean if I went to the Ford dealer and had them install a towing package, it wouldn't be as good as if they had done it when the vehicle was brand new? I don't see what the difference would be. That was my only hope, because Ford's website says the towing package lets you tow 3500 pounds. Geez if I had known this, I would have never bought my Escape.
In most cases correct. The tow package is more then just putting a hitch on. When a car or truck comes from the factory with a tow packages it has a tranny cooler, the correct rear gears, the receiver for that vehicle, the correct tranny, a little beefer suspension, etc. I went through this 2 yrs ago with my Durango and found out a lot.

With that said, I'm not saying the escape can't tow, but keep in mind that in most cases the larger weight you see for towin means if the vehicle is properly equipped. Have the dealer run your vin, that'll tell you what your escape has and what it can safely tow as it sits today.

RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #12

not sure whats included in the "tow package" but if a transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler are not included then you may be able to add them as well to increase your capacity but again. I wouldn't do it myself and I may be forgetting about other variables. Besides, after all that cost, it's makes as much sense to buy another vehicle.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #13

I read that ALL Escapes come with a transmission oil cooler. I also read that it only costs $200 to have the tow package added on. I can't imagine it costing $30,000 to do all this, it would be way cheaper than buying a new vehicle. I don't want a new vehicle anyway. I love my Escape more than I want the Vibe. I'm just going to keep looking for a lighter RV or an entirely different option altogether. Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't do this.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

It could be a sign. Good luck with whatever you choose!

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #15

If your family is 2 or 3 people I would go with an Rpod, I had one for 3 years and loved it.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post
I don't want a new vehicle anyway. I love my Escape more than I want the Vibe. I'm just going to keep looking for a lighter RV or an entirely different option altogether. Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't do this.
For me, what you can tow all comes down to your available payload - i.e. what can the vehicle carry. This includes the weight of the vehicle, driver, passenger(s) (if any), stuff you carry in the vehicle, on the vehicle, etc. and finally what's left over can be used for tongue weight. The tongue weight is usually 10%-15% of the loaded camper's weight. Most people run out of payload for tongue weight long before any of their other ratings.

See if this helps:
What Can I Tow?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #17

If you have the proper engine, you can add a towing package. In our older escape, just by having the 4 wheel drive you had the cooler needed to tow. You can take it to a dealership or to a place that does trailer work.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #18

That TT is not designed for full time living and if they know that you are doing that you will have no warranty. I would look for a TV that is more capeable.

Tags
vibe