Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #1

Questions about the Vibe 6502

I do not currently own an RV but I really want the Vibe 6502 model, so i've been doing some research but still have unanswered questions...

I have a 2008 Ford Escape, automatic, 6-cylinder engine. The Ford towing guide says once I install a towing package, I can tow up to 3500 pounds. I have found a few Vibe 6502's for sale, but they have different weights. I am going by the dry weight only. One weighed about 2700 pounds and another of the SAME model weighed 3100! How can this much of a difference exist? If they're exactly the same, they should weigh the same, so which one is right? Also, I can't find anything on the Forest River site about older models so i'm not sure how many years they made the Vibe. Would the older ones be heavier? I read in another thread on this forum that someone ended up in the ditch towing the 6502 with an Escape but someone else said they knew someone with no problems. I don't know what to do now. I can't find any other models I like so my heart is set on this one, and I just bought my Escape for this reason so i'm not about to sell it, besides I'm very short and small and have a hard time driving larger vehicles so I don't want to get a different one when I just bought this.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? thanks!
AstraeaLunaAvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #2

I think the 6502 may be too much for the Escape. The 2013 and 14 models weigh 3,800lb's GVWR. You don't really want to go by the dry weight. I don't think there were made before 2012.

My friend has a 6502 and loves it. Tows it with a 6cyl Toyota 4-Runner without any issues but not sure the tow rating on that.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
I think the 6502 may be too much for the Escape. The 2013 and 14 models weigh 3,800lb's GVWR. You don't really want to go by the dry weight.
I thought the GVWR was the total weight the TRAILER can handle, not the tow vehicle? All this time i've only been looking at the base weight of the trailer! Well that really limits me. I'm bummed.

Quote:
My friend has a 6502 and loves it. Tows it with a 6cyl Toyota 4-Runner without any issues but not sure the tow rating on that.
I just looked up the Toyota 4 runner and it looks almost exactly like an Escape, looks about the same size, too! I see ads all the time saying Escapes can tow a lot of small trailers, I didn't think the Vibe was that big, it's even designed to be easier to tow.

I don't know what to do now.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #4

yea, dry weight is before they put things like propane tanks, batteries, and dealer installed accessories in the unit and also before you add things like water and gear. Also, I've ready a few places that you really don't want to go over 80% of your max wieght unless you are really ok with abusing the heck out of your vehicle.

Maybe some others with Escapes will chime in.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

GVWR is what the total trailer can be, not what it is. Many on this forum assume that you will load it to the max and therefore suggest you use that number. The dry weight on the brochure is usless as well. The number you need is on the yellow stick on the side of the trailer and then add in propane, battery, etc. Yes I know someone pulling a 6502 with an older escape however they are not going far nor are they hitting a lot of hills. They also have to look at the weight of everything they put in. The person who ended up in a ditch towing a 6502 with an escape probably had no business towing a trailer in the first place (my guess is the didn't have enough tongue weight and it didn't matter what the TV was).

Bottom line is yes you can tow it with an escape but I would not really reccomend it. I would look at an Rpod if I were you unless you are just going to go short distances on flat ground and carry very little weight.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Always Learning

Problem is, the yellow sticker is as equally meaningless as the others. From the day we picked up my camper, before we put our first personal item into it, my camper weighed more than its yellow sticker due to dealer-installed add-ons.

My recommendation is to go with the GVWR in order to be conservative. If you're within ratings at that number, anything less is just icing on the cake. Otherwise, I've heard told that the average user adds 1,000-1,500 pounds of stuff over the dry weight but even that is subjective to your camper, camper size, packing and traveling habits. Each situation is different..
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
GVWR is what the total trailer can be, not what it is. Many on this forum assume that you will load it to the max and therefore suggest you use that number. The dry weight on the brochure is usless as well. The number you need is on the yellow stick on the side of the trailer and then add in propane, battery, etc. Yes I know someone pulling a 6502 with an older escape however they are not going far nor are they hitting a lot of hills. They also have to look at the weight of everything they put in. The person who ended up in a ditch towing a 6502 with an escape probably had no business towing a trailer in the first place (my guess is the didn't have enough tongue weight and it didn't matter what the TV was).

Bottom line is yes you can tow it with an escape but I would not really reccomend it. I would look at an Rpod if I were you unless you are just going to go short distances on flat ground and carry very little weight.
Well my plan was to live in it fulltime, and travel the country. Since I can't avoid hills forever, I probably shouldn't do this. I looked at the R pods but didnt like any of them. I have looked at ALL Rv's for the last few years. The Vibe is truly unique, the 6501 is lighter but not by much and that one didn't have any counter space which I need.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

I don't think you would be happy with that combo. Full timing means bringing lots of stuff. Not only would the escape not haul it, the vibe doesn't have a lot of carrying capacity. I would look at an explorer for a TV and plan on hauling a lot of your stuff in it.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #9

Go by the gross and also keep in mind, unless your TV comes from the factory with the tow package, your not towing what your book says. 'Properly equipped' is when it comes from the factory with the tow package installed
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
Go by the gross and also keep in mind, unless your TV comes from the factory with the tow package, your not towing what your book says. 'Properly equipped' is when it comes from the factory with the tow package installed
You mean if I went to the Ford dealer and had them install a towing package, it wouldn't be as good as if they had done it when the vehicle was brand new? I don't see what the difference would be. That was my only hope, because Ford's website says the towing package lets you tow 3500 pounds. Geez if I had known this, I would have never bought my Escape.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post

You mean if I went to the Ford dealer and had them install a towing package, it wouldn't be as good as if they had done it when the vehicle was brand new? I don't see what the difference would be. That was my only hope, because Ford's website says the towing package lets you tow 3500 pounds. Geez if I had known this, I would have never bought my Escape.
In most cases correct. The tow package is more then just putting a hitch on. When a car or truck comes from the factory with a tow packages it has a tranny cooler, the correct rear gears, the receiver for that vehicle, the correct tranny, a little beefer suspension, etc. I went through this 2 yrs ago with my Durango and found out a lot.

With that said, I'm not saying the escape can't tow, but keep in mind that in most cases the larger weight you see for towin means if the vehicle is properly equipped. Have the dealer run your vin, that'll tell you what your escape has and what it can safely tow as it sits today.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #12

not sure whats included in the "tow package" but if a transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler are not included then you may be able to add them as well to increase your capacity but again. I wouldn't do it myself and I may be forgetting about other variables. Besides, after all that cost, it's makes as much sense to buy another vehicle.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #13

I read that ALL Escapes come with a transmission oil cooler. I also read that it only costs $200 to have the tow package added on. I can't imagine it costing $30,000 to do all this, it would be way cheaper than buying a new vehicle. I don't want a new vehicle anyway. I love my Escape more than I want the Vibe. I'm just going to keep looking for a lighter RV or an entirely different option altogether. Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't do this.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #14

It could be a sign. Good luck with whatever you choose!

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

If your family is 2 or 3 people I would go with an Rpod, I had one for 3 years and loved it.
cfernandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post
I don't want a new vehicle anyway. I love my Escape more than I want the Vibe. I'm just going to keep looking for a lighter RV or an entirely different option altogether. Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't do this.
For me, what you can tow all comes down to your available payload - i.e. what can the vehicle carry. This includes the weight of the vehicle, driver, passenger(s) (if any), stuff you carry in the vehicle, on the vehicle, etc. and finally what's left over can be used for tongue weight. The tongue weight is usually 10%-15% of the loaded camper's weight. Most people run out of payload for tongue weight long before any of their other ratings.

See if this helps:
What Can I Tow?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #17

If you have the proper engine, you can add a towing package. In our older escape, just by having the 4 wheel drive you had the cooler needed to tow. You can take it to a dealership or to a place that does trailer work.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #18

That TT is not designed for full time living and if they know that you are doing that you will have no warranty. I would look for a TV that is more capeable.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibe