Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #1

Questions about Weight from Newbie

I have a Forest River popup and Im new at this so trying to figure out how much weight I can carry on the RV based on the GVWR and the GAWR and some of the numbers dont seem to match so I think I have something wrong.

I know that GVWR is Gross vehicle Weight max permissible wt fully loaded and GAWR is Gross Axil weight including cargo safely supported by each axil.

Ok, so my GVWR is 3063 lbs. Dry weight is 2431 lbs and weight of cargo should not exceed 615 lbs. (this is what the stickers say on the side of the trailer) SO that Totals to 3046 lbs But my GVWR says 3063 lbs which is 17lbs difference.. ok thats not bad but it's strange if they go to the trouble of putting the numbers down you'd think that it would equal out. Anyway, that's not my full question:

When I added water (if I carry it) 167 lbs, 2 LP tanks (@ 20lbs each) 40lbs, Battery 41lbs = Total 248 lbs I'll call these "necessities".

So adding the 248 lbs for these "necessities", + Dry weight of the RV 2431 lbs = Total 2,679 lbs
Then if I subtract this amount from the GVWR 3063- 2,679 = 384 lbs (which is the poundage that I have left that I can carry for supplies on the RV?? such as pots, electric cables, other items? Sounds like a lot of poundage but I know it can add up fast having been backpacking a lot. So does this sound right? Ok that was my first real question.

My second question then is the GAWR which is the amount of weight that can go on an Axil which is also stated on a sticker on the trailer. Ok since there is only one axil (2 wheels) .. is it one axil then that holds 2 wheels? If so then here comes the confusing part for me.

My GAWR is 2,750 lbs. If I take that number 2,750 and subtract the RV Dry weight - 2,431 = 310 lbs left for cargo etc, but I still have to subtract the "necessities" that I talked about (water, 2 LP tanks, battery = 248lbs) So 310 lbs - 258 lbs = 52 lbs for all the extra gear. THAT doesnt make sense based on the figures I did on the GVWR? I dont get how these numbers could be so different, when I figure out how much cargo poundage I can have figuring the GVWR and then figuring form the GAWR.

I would like to know how many pounds is safe to carry on the RV after I have the water, LP tanks, battery. Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #2

For second question, you have to substract the weight that is carried by the hitch. So if the hitch pin weight is 300 lbs, then that 300 lbs is not carried by the axle fo the trailer but is transfered to the axle of your towing vehicle.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packncycle View Post
Ok, so my GVWR is 3063 lbs. Dry weight is 2431 lbs and weight of cargo should not exceed 615 lbs. (this is what the stickers say on the side of the trailer) SO that Totals to 3046 lbs But my GVWR says 3063 lbs which is 17lbs difference.. ok thats not bad but it's strange if they go to the trouble of putting the numbers down you'd think that it would equal out. Anyway, that's not my full question:

When I added water (if I carry it) 167 lbs, 2 LP tanks (@ 20lbs each) 40lbs, Battery 41lbs = Total 248 lbs I'll call these "necessities".

So adding the 248 lbs for these "necessities", + Dry weight of the RV 2431 lbs = Total 2,679 lbs
Then if I subtract this amount from the GVWR 3063- 2,679 = 384 lbs (which is the poundage that I have left that I can carry for supplies on the RV?? such as pots, electric cables, other items? Sounds like a lot of poundage but I know it can add up fast having been backpacking a lot. So does this sound right? Ok that was my first real question.
Since the weight came off of the yellow sticker on the side of the camper, it theoretically already includes the weight of a battery and propane (in your case, likely just a single propane tank). Which means, some of your necessity numbers change.

The very best thing that you can do is take your pop-up to get weighed at a scale. Weigh the tow vehicle (aka truck/suv) + pop-up together and then go park the pop-up and just weigh the tow vehicle.

Quote:
My second question then is the GAWR which is the amount of weight that can go on an Axil which is also stated on a sticker on the trailer. Ok since there is only one axil (2 wheels) .. is it one axil then that holds 2 wheels? If so then here comes the confusing part for me.

My GAWR is 2,750 lbs. If I take that number 2,750 and subtract the RV Dry weight - 2,431 = 310 lbs left for cargo etc, but I still have to subtract the "necessities" that I talked about (water, 2 LP tanks, battery = 248lbs) So 310 lbs - 258 lbs = 52 lbs for all the extra gear. THAT doesnt make sense based on the figures I did on the GVWR? I dont get how these numbers could be so different, when I figure out how much cargo poundage I can have figuring the GVWR and then figuring form the GAWR.
You have 1 axle. As was previously mentioned- the axle doesn't carry all of the camper's weight. Part of the weight is carried by the tongue/hitch (usually 10%-15% of the overall actual weight). That's why your GVWR can be higher than your axle weight (and, in fact, the GVWR is usually the GAWR + the weight carried by the tongue).

Quote:
I would like to know how many pounds is safe to carry on the RV after I have the water, LP tanks, battery. Thanks
Go get weighed. Anything else is guessing. Weighing is cheap ($10-$15 at a truck stop). And there are a lot of places to get weighed if you aren't near highways.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Team

yellow sticker weight does NOT include the weight of the battery, since is a dealer-installed item and not installed at the factory.
this is the case for towables, not sure about motorhomes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
yellow sticker weight does NOT include the weight of the battery, since is a dealer-installed item and not installed at the factory.
this is the case for towables, not sure about motorhomes.
How does the emergency brake work from the factory to the dealer if there is no battery onboard the trailer?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How does the emergency brake work from the factory to the dealer if there is no battery onboard the trailer?
Trucking company uses there own battery factory to dealer.

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

TURBS

TOWTA and I saw a trucker bring a 40' TH into Tom Johnsons in Concord, he walked into the dealer, two guys came out with him, inspected the unit. Driver signed the papers, unhooked and drove off. He sure didn't take any battery with him. Whole process took about an hour as we were talking to him about his 2013 1T DW Duramax being so quiet, etc. Maybe he just donated his battery to TJ.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

TURBS

that's what i was told by my dealer. plus, some trailers, especially popups, are carried on a trailer with other popups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
From one 'ol Quality guy to another; Do you suppose they just do a sample test/inspection based upon a known A.Q.L.? And if they do, I think they would be taking a critical item too much for granted. I hope, since the battery is dealer installed item, that they have a portable power supply that they move from unit to unit and test each one.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I drove for a delivery service several years ago and the guys that towed the TT and 5ers had to provide their own batteries.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #11

It will not add up to a lot but some of the weight is unsprung as well so the axle does not see the weight but the scale does.
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
It will not add up to a lot but some of the weight is unsprung as well so the axle does not see the weight but the scale does.

Is this like the axle itself and the wheels and tires?
Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #13

Well anything not sprung, so ya the wheel, hub, axle (depending on design) brakes etc. So if you have a leaf spring axle anything under the spring is not loading the axle, sort of...
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
Denver, CO

Ahhh, good point...
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #15

Also, many popups don't have brakes. My '88 Coleman Sequoia didn't. However, I think more of them are coming with brakes these days than back then.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #16

You're right that the Dryweight being the weight without the propane tank and battery.. the dealer puts on the propane tank and battery.. at least that's what I was told. I'll have to check the hitch pin.. I thought I saw something on the hitch where it said no more than 1000lbs but I dont think thats what you're talking about?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 AM   #17
Site Team

the yellow sticker will include the weight of the tank/tanks, since that's installed at the factory.
whereas the battery's weight is not included in the yellow sticker weight, since it's installed by the dealer and can be different weights, especially if the buyer wants a Group 27 or 29.

here's a link to my white weight sticker, which lists the GVWR minus the UVW minus the FW water weight minus the two tank propane weight, to get the actual CCC.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...puser=331&sl=b

i assume the newer yellow stickers are factored the same way.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #18

You're right

You're right bikendan.. I just went to the RV place to drop off the trailer because the bed doesnt pull out right since I got it so they need to fix it. Anyway I was talking to the sales people and they said the GVWR includes one LP tank empty, but the other stuff like propane gas, battery.. they dont include. So that's helpful to know. The repair/services guys had said that it didnt include any of it. I also found out that there were several other things they didnt know, so I will go with the sales people for this situation.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Lots of confusion on trailer terms.

"Dry Weight" - This brochure weight - Lightest weight printed shows weight "as designed" with no options (mandatory or otherwise." No propane tanks, no AC, no battery, no awning, no TV, etc.

"Dry Pin/Tongue Weight" - The above camper's weight not carried by the wheels on the camper. You will never see this number either.

"ULW" - "Unladen Weight" - The yellow sticker "out the factory door" weight. This is the weight of the camper as it left the factory floor. NO battery, NO propane, NO water, but does include ALL FACTORY installed options. You will never see a pin/tongue weight with this number.

NOTE: Options installed by the dealer are NOT included. (Like full propane tanks, battery(s), vent covers, better wheels/tires, or anything you add.)

"GVWR" - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating" - The maximum the camper can weight UNHOOKED from the TV. Connecting a weight distribution hitch can INCREASE the actual weight on the camper's wheels by shifting tongue weight back onto the camper's tires, so it is critical to weigh the camper both unhooked and hooked up to make sure you do not overload the camper's axles or tires.

"GAWR" - "Gross Axle Weight Rating" - The maximum weight each axle is rated to carry. The actual load on each axle will be different, so each axle should be weighted separately. The total camper gross weight will be more than the sum of the axles because some of the camper's weight MUST be carried by the tow vehicle (pin/tongue weight).

"Rule of Thumb" for safe towing/loading is different for 5th wheels and Travel Trailers.

For safe Handling and Towing:

5th Wheels - 15% to 25% of total camper weight must ride on the truck's hitch. Thus a 10,000 pound camper must have a pin weight between 1500 - 2500 pounds to be safely towed. Optimum handling occurs at 20% of trailer to pin loading (2,000 pounds for a 10,000 pound camper).

Travel Trailers - 10% - 15% of total camper weight must ride on the truck's hitch BEFORE redistribution! Thus a 10,000 pound camper must have a tongue weight between 1000 - 1500 pounds to be safely towed. Optimum handling occurs at 12% of trailer to pin loading (1,200 pounds for a 10,000 pound camper). Weight distributing hitch's DO NOT REDUCE ACTUAL PIN LOAD. Your frame receiver and hitch assembly see the entire load all the time. It will only move SOME of that load to the truck's front and camper's tires during travel.

Hope this helps.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, weight