Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
Quick Question on Weighing TT

I am finally going to weigh my rig with the WDH bars disconnected. Do I throw the bars in the truck bed or not? Also, what does this weight measurement gain me over just performing the my typical truck only weight, and combo weight with WDH hooked up?
__________________

__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Wobbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southern, IL
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I am finally going to weigh my rig with the WDH bars disconnected. Do I throw the bars in the truck bed or not? Also, what does this weight measurement gain me over just performing the my typical truck only weight, and combo weight with WDH hooked up?
A member here has posted a link that might give you some insight to why, what and how it is done. Hope this helps.

Learn To RV: How to Weigh a Travel Trailer
__________________

__________________
Bob & Michelle
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4
2017 Flagstaff Super Lite 526RLWS
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
A member here has posted a link that might give you some insight to why, what and how it is done. Hope this helps.

Learn To RV: How to Weigh a Travel Trailer
Thanks! I thought I had seen every helpful page like that. I have weighed numerous trailers, just never did the non-WDH step.
__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
The non-WDH step will get you a true tongue weight.

Truck and trailer with the WDH not hooked up minus the truck without the trailer will give you the hitch/pin weight.

For kicks and giggles, you can also see what the weight on your axles are without the WDH in place.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com
 
hbillsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Near Dallas Texas
Posts: 737
You need the un-hooked weigh to know if your WDH settings are moving sufficient weight off the rear axle back to the front axle.

Steer Axle WITH WDH minus Steer Axle NO WDH equals Amount weight shifted
__________________
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 813
I got my weights without the WDH. I also unhitched and got the GVW of the trailer. Hitched back up and got the split axles. Pain in the As_ because I have trouble latching the ball and I was nervous cause there was an 18 wheeler waiting. But I got her done.

I won't do that again. From now on, I'll get the truck axles separately and trailer split axles.
__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:38 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I got my weights without the WDH. I also unhitched and got the GVW of the trailer. Hitched back up and got the split axles. Pain in the As_ because I have trouble latching the ball and I was nervous cause there was an 18 wheeler waiting. But I got her done.



I won't do that again. From now on, I'll get the truck axles separately and trailer split axles.


Next time, park it in a truck spot between weighings and take your time.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 813
Yes, I'll do better next time now that I'm a pro, ha. hardly.
__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #9
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Yes, I'll do better next time now that I'm a pro, ha. hardly.


Parking in a truck spot is fraught with its own stress. I got into a blind spot and had blocked trucks from getting in at one. One trucker started waving me back- I figured he wasn't leading me astray and I kept going back. Slide in pretty nicely to my spot. I figure he wasn't doing it to be nice (just wanting the silly pilgrim outta his way) but I was thankful none the less.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Parking in a truck spot is fraught with its own stress. I got into a blind spot and had blocked trucks from getting in at one. One trucker started waving me back- I figured he wasn't leading me astray and I kept going back. Slide in pretty nicely to my spot. I figure he wasn't doing it to be nice (just wanting the silly pilgrim outta his way) but I was thankful none the less.
I was so intimidated being out of my element. The scale operator was patient and as helpful as she could be but also running a cash register. She threw me a curve when she said, I'd have to pull my truck completely off the scale after I detached to get the GVW of my TT. Not sure why?

The 18 wheeler saw me pulling out and pulled onto the scale only to find my TT was sitting there with no TV attached. He had to back off the scale. Kind of funny now. I started with hand signals to him, like "just one more weight" and the "little bit left" symbol. I was waiting for the middle finger from him but he was cool.

Now that I know I'm within my GVWR (barely) for the RV. I'm just going to get axle weights from now on. My TV with the Cummins is pretty much "don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon".
__________________

__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.