Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Location: Close to North / South Carolina border and Blue Ridge Mountains
Question Quite WD hitch

Let me preface this post by stating I’ve have never owned or used a weight distribution hitch and I am merely trying to investigate the options available to me for towing a 30’, 8,000 lb (approx loaded) travel trailer.

I have been reading about the noise associated friction type WD hitches when I came across this Aluminum Weight Distribution Hitch. (aluminumhitch.com) My question is; do any forum members have first hand experience or indirect knowledge of this design? Please share me with your insights. I am leaning toward the Equalizer 4 point, but remain open to new technology.

Rustymax
Rustymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

Interesting, went to the mfg site and they seem to brag it up well enough but no real info on how a hitch using chains works as a WD hitch. IMO stick with an equalizer, Blue Ox or Reese Dual Cam. However if money is no object go for a Hensley or Pro Pride.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Rustymax,
I have not heard of this hitch, although I am aware of Andersen. I did a search on some other RV sites and have found no mention of their "no sway" hitch from any users.

If I were you, I would have to decide how much I am willing to be on the leading (bleeding) edge with a new hitch that few campers have used. I'm sure someone is using it; they just have not posted their experiences on the internet.

This doesn't mean that its not as effective as they claim, but I tend to want to use something with a little public history behind it.

If you try it, let us know what you think.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #4

You get used to the noise associated with an Equalizer. The noise lets you know it is doing exactly what it is supposed to. I was a bit freaked out at first, but now it doesn't bother me in the least. When pulling our 8293RKSS, you barely know it's behind our TV, but we have a 2500 Cummins Diesel with a quad cab and an 8' bed.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #5

I have the dual cams and hear it pop occassionally. I never hear it while driving straight down the road, so I only hear it when making slow moving maneuvers. It doesn't bother me one bit, and I know it's doing its job.

As a side note, I was driving once and I didn't hear it. I got out and checked and found out that when I changed chain links to a higher link, it wasn't sitting in the saddles properly.

I promptly re-adjusted it (20 minutes) and was on my way again, popping and all. I'm actually glad to hear it doing it's thing, cause when I don't hear it is when I start to wonder what's wrong. Just my opinion....
fajitas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

I erccomend and use the Equalizer 4 point SC WDH. only makse noise when backing or turnig at a slow speed, don't even notice it anymore. Tows great!

I pull a 30ft 7-8K TT with a 2003 expedition, no problems!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

x3 for the equalizer. people might look at you funny when you back in because of the noise, but once they see the hitch they know. I tow a 29' 7" camper with a Dakota 4x4 and the hitch performs great - no semi sucking of the trl and real stable in cross winds.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote