Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #61
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
I think this has floated well in to the void of being off topic.
Me thinks you be right! More posts about stupid tailgate steps on Fords and Chevys than on the OP subject.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #62
Engineer of Crazy Train

I have not ordered yet. Just waiting to see how the bonus works out. But I may have to wait. But here is more info.

Diesel Power Magazine did a comparison between the Ram 1500 with the VM Diesel/8 Speed and the Ram 2500 Diesel/6 Speed/Rear Coils. 2 vehicles that someone would get as both a daily driver and to haul their toys. They were impressed with the little diesel. I will post the article when they publish it on the web.

As for the air suspension, I found this on the RamForumz
Quote:
I have a 2013 laramie crew cab w the short bed and air suspension. I have loaded it several times with 40 50lb bags of flour and the pallet they were loaded on and had absolutely no problems with either ride height or comfort. the only time it went into protection mode was when I pushed it to 50 bags and the rear never came up to normal ride height. Needless to say I never did that again. I suspect the safe limit to be a little over 2000lbs but not much more.
And last, here is a video and review Faux News.

Can Ram's Diesel Go the Distance?| Latest News Videos | Fox News

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #63
Engineer of Crazy Train

I read this from Diesel Power Magazine and couldn't wait for them to put it online. Article comparing the Ram 1500 vs Ram 2500. These 2 vehicles would be purchased by people for both hauling and everyday driving.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...bling_rivalry/

And another good link on getting 30MPG

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/1...500_ecodiesel/

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Locomotive Engineer
Old 02-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #64
Fulltime family RVer

I think the biggest issue with these Ram EcoDiesels is the fairly low payload capacity numbers:
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/d...ammlup1500.pdf

A quick spot check showed a handful of models that were as low as 800 pounds , most were in the 1,200 - 1,500 and a couple of models at 1,600 pounds.

As with most things- I think you need an educated buyer if the buyer is buying this truck for towing.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think the biggest issue with these Ram EcoDiesels is the fairly low payload capacity numbers:
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/d...ammlup1500.pdf

A quick spot check showed a handful of models that were as low as 800 pounds , most were in the 1,200 - 1,500 and a couple of models at 1,600 pounds.

As with most things- I think you need an educated buyer if the buyer is buying this truck for towing.
Agreed. For someone NOT planning to tow heavy loads, why not opt for the 6 cylinder gas at 25mpg? Lower mileage, but less up front cost, less maintenance cost, and cheaper/easier to find fuel. The diesel only makes sense if you need the torque to tow. I think Dodge needs to get that minimum payload number to 1500ish and to 2500+ properly optioned for it to be feasible. Once again, I'm not a member of the weight police, but a truck with 800lbs of payload??? Six adult males @ 200ea. and you are over payload by 400lbs!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #66
Engineer of Crazy Train

It comes down to research and knowing what you can do. The one I priced out has a payload of 1300lbs. I know going in that may payload numbers are small and there is a chance that on my next trailer, even being a small trailer, I may go a few pounds over on payload. I am 100lbs over GVW now on the Jeep.

The people I will be scared of are the ones wanting to tow 28+ feet, 7000+ GVW trailers with this. You know there will be yahoos out there doing it.

Weight police complain about a few pounds over. I don't see a big deal on a well maintained vehicle. What is more dangerous? Me in the right lane doing 60 with a trailer and 100lbs over GVW in a well maintained setup, towing since I was 17? Or the kid who just got his license, doing 75 in and out of traffic, with bald tires and no pads left on the brakes in his Honda?

Locomotive Engineer
Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #67
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
It comes down to research and knowing what you can do. The one I priced out has a payload of 1300lbs. I know going in that may payload numbers are small and there is a chance that on my next trailer, even being a small trailer, I may go a few pounds over on payload. I am 100lbs over GVW now on the Jeep.

The people I will be scared of are the ones wanting to tow 28+ feet, 7000+ GVW trailers with this. You know there will be yahoos out there doing it.

Weight police complain about a few pounds over. I don't see a big deal on a well maintained vehicle. What is more dangerous? Me in the right lane doing 60 with a trailer and 100lbs over GVW in a well maintained setup, towing since I was 17? Or the kid who just got his license, doing 75 in and out of traffic, with bald tires and no pads left on the brakes in his Honda?
I didn't mean for this to turn into a weight police thread or even safety discussion of going over ratings. I was curious so I looked. I was downright surprised when I saw the 1,000 and lower ratings.

This diesel 1500 seems like a great combination of towing ability and around-town driving.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post

I tow a 34' 10K GVWR (loaded weight 8500, though) with a 1/2 ton- and I'm a yahoo??? I've been driving and towing since I was old enough to touch the pedals and see over the wheel. I do agree with your statement about weight. I still find it somewhat comical that Dodge would produce a truck with a diesel engine intended for towing that will be 50% overweight with 6 guys my size in it. To be fair, Ford I know has some trucks with payload in the 900's, but they are fancy yuppie trucks.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #69
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
To be fair, Ford I know has some trucks with payload in the 900's, but they are fancy yuppie trucks.
Hey Yahoo! It's the same with the Dodge. If I recall- the trim level on the 800-900 pound payload trucks was their fancier levels.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Hey Yahoo! It's the same with the Dodge. If I recall- the trim level on the 800-900 pound payload trucks was their fancier levels.
Yeah, but at least the Ford isn't a fancy yuppie truck with a diesel engine!!!!