Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Yeah, but at least the Ford isn't a fancy yuppie truck with a diesel engine!!!!
Because Ford can't build a good diesel engine!

2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #72
Engineer of Crazy Train

Yes the Rams (Not Dodges) with the 800 pounds of "payload" are the yuppy trucks. I want the crew cab outdoorsman with stock LT tires. Some mods I might do is take off the skid plates. Don't see me needing those.

And Doug, I know you don't want this into a weight police thread. My intentions of this is to keep people informed on this. If the finances go right, I hope to be the first on FRF with the truck.

My feelings on this truck is always that this is a great family towing a hybrid or small camper truck. That is me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Yes the Rams (Not Dodges) with the 800 pounds of "payload" are the yuppy trucks. I want the crew cab outdoorsman with stock LT tires. Some mods I might do is take off the skid plates. Don't see me needing those.

And Doug, I know you don't want this into a weight police thread. My intentions of this is to keep people informed on this. If the finances go right, I hope to be the first on FRF with the truck.

My feelings on this truck is always that this is a great family towing a hybrid or small camper truck. That is me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Don't get your feathers too ruffled. I think you are absolutely correct that it will make a great truck for your intended usage. I guess my point is that I'd never opt for one in a package with only 800lbs. payload.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #74
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Don't get your feathers too ruffled. I think you are absolutely correct that it will make a great truck for your intended usage. I guess my point is that I'd never opt for one in a package with only 800lbs. payload.
You and me both brother. I am not a yuppy in need of leather and all that stuff. Just looking for a comfortable family truck that can haul the current and next camper. When I get older and think bigger, then a one ton will be in the equation.

A little off topic, but have any of you been to the local short track auto races? I remember when I was younger, what people use to tow their race cars with. WDH? Only the top teams. Trailer brakes? I never knew they exsisted when I was younger. Half ton where the trailer and truck sagged so much, it would scrape on speed bumps and gas station approaches. Seen all of it. That is why when someone is a tad over their weight and seem safe about it, I try not to say much.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
You and me both brother. I am not a yuppy in need of leather and all that stuff. Just looking for a comfortable family truck that can haul the current and next camper. When I get older and think bigger, then a one ton will be in the equation.

A little off topic, but have any of you been to the local short track auto races? I remember when I was younger, what people use to tow their race cars with. WDH? Only the top teams. Trailer brakes? I never knew they exsisted when I was younger. Half ton where the trailer and truck sagged so much, it would scrape on speed bumps and gas station approaches. Seen all of it. That is why when someone is a tad over their weight and seem safe about it, I try not to say much.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forest River Forums mobile app
I'm with you, brother! I grew up on a farm in a rural area. The ONLY WDH I ever saw was on my grandpa's camper. EVERYTHING else we towed was sitting on a 2" ball. No way you could've run a WDH if you'd wanted to with all the variations in the loads we hauled. You learned how to "read" a load and what the TV should feel like when loaded properly. The bigger the load, the more cautious we drove. Common sense ruled the day!!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #76
Wanna Be Camper

I haul my flat around all the time with over 8k on it and no WD setup. It tows better than the VLite. Again knowing how to load a trailer is paramount.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
I haul my flat around all the time with over 8k on it and no WD setup. It tows better than the VLite. Again knowing how to load a trailer is paramount.
VERY true.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #78
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Common sense will always rule the day under most circumstances. Unfortunately, it's not as "common" as one might hope.........
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #79

Pay very close attention the payload of these trucks. Many have payloads under 1,000 lbs.
IF you need more payload make sure you order whatever it takes to get the numbers up to what ever you need, because the numbers that the manufacture puts on each trucks safety compliance certificates are written in stone, and there is nothing you can do to increase them. It's the manufactures numbers that the Ministry of Transportation / Dept. of Transportation in each Provence and State use to calculate if your are violating any safety standards related to being over loaded.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtrader View Post
Pay very close attention the payload of these trucks. Many have payloads under 1,000 lbs.
IF you need more payload make sure you order whatever it takes to get the numbers up to what ever you need, because the numbers that the manufacture puts on each trucks safety compliance certificates are written in stone, and there is nothing you can do to increase them. It's the manufactures numbers that the Ministry of Transportation / Dept. of Transportation in each Provence and State use to calculate if your are violating any safety standards related to being over loaded.
furtrader,

You've just opened a HUGE can of worms with this statement. The legality of a sticker placed on a vehicle by the manufacturer has been debated ad nauseum, so I won't go there again. I will only throw out that there is very little evidence to support these statements and the testimony from retired LEO and "those in the know" is contradictory.