Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

RAM 1500 BigHorn w/ Husky Centerline T/S WDH

Anyone using a Husky Centerline T/S WDH on a RAM 1500 BigHorn? I setup my new Centerline T/S And pulling a Grey Wolf 26DBH? I’m concerned how I setup the hitch on my RAM 1500 for my 26DBH per the setup manual. I measured rear fender w/ WDH and have about 2 inches of squat. I’m thinking no more than 1 inch. Looks as if it’s nose down a bit and the brackets are raised up all the way. Ball is 1 inch higher than the coupler as per the setup manual. Any input would be appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2416.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	205657
Barmstrong77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:50 PM   #2

Overall, the picture above looks pretty dialed and not of any concern. How does it drive with that set up?

How many washers do you have tilting the ball head back to help point the bars down? Add one or two and then adjust the spring perches. That will allow you for more adjustment.

As far as rear squat....whys it a concern? You mention nothing of the stock front fender height, tongue weight on the hitch front fender height or the WD bars engaged front fender height. Those are way more important and telling rather than the rear of your truck carrying weight.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #3

I too have a Grey Wolf 26DBH! It is very deceiving sometimes when you look at the setup. You can take a level to the tongue and it will be level but then take it to the frame I beam on the trailer and it will be tilted downward. I agree with clarkbre, how does it ride?
billybigrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Overall, the picture above looks pretty dialed and not of any concern. How does it drive with that set up?

How many washers do you have tilting the ball head back to help point the bars down? Add one or two and then adjust the spring perches. That will allow you for more adjustment.

As far as rear squat....whys it a concern? You mention nothing of the stock front fender height, tongue weight on the hitch front fender height or the WD bars engaged front fender height. Those are way more important and telling rather than the rear of your truck carrying weight.

After test driving is seems very stable unlike my last WDH hitch that I was using. I started with 2 washers per the setup manual. I did forget to add that the measured height of the front fender without WDH is 36 3/8 in. I estimated my tongue weight is to be about 825lbs as I do have the trailer partially loaded, empty FW,GW, BW tanks. No change with WDH. I was just concerned that I may not have the hitch adjusted incorrectly as I thought 2in of squat in the rear was to much. I figured no more than an inch with this new hitch system. Probably add more washers for more angle. I know I have a lot of adjustments to make to dial it in.
Barmstrong77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

I agree with Clark as to adjustment and looks. For $12 & $2 per addition weigh you can roll a CAT scale remove all doubt & estimation and see exactly where it could benefit from & how much weight distribution to dial it in for maximum safety & stability.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TV’s max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #6

I was pulling a 32 ft to with a Ram 1500, even properly setup I still had squat. I added cool spring airbags for less than $100 and that fixed the problem and stiffened up the ride when towing.
Sevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags