Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 15
Ram 2500 4x4 Receiver/Shank Question

Just purchased a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 to get extra towing capacity. The center line of the class V receiver (2-1/2") is 24 inches off the ground. My current trailer has a bottom coupler which is 16" off the ground when level. I'm having great difficulty finding a shank that will go from a class V receiver 24" up, to level the trailer at 16". I have to believe I'm not the only one pulling a trailer with a Ram 2500 (I've seen too many posts here). What are you doing to get your hitch ball low enough? Thanks in advance for your advice/expertise.
__________________

__________________

Dick & Donna
2014 Ram 2500 4x4
2016 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLIKS
RVEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
danny4127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: INDEPENDECE KS
Posts: 105
REESE has one that goes down 14 inches that worked on mine
__________________

__________________
danny4127 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
My blue ox worked well on my 2500.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVEagle View Post
Just purchased a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 to get extra towing capacity. The center line of the class V receiver (2-1/2") is 24 inches off the ground. My current trailer has a bottom coupler which is 16" off the ground when level. I'm having great difficulty finding a shank that will go from a class V receiver 24" up, to level the trailer at 16". I have to believe I'm not the only one pulling a trailer with a Ram 2500 (I've seen too many posts here). What are you doing to get your hitch ball low enough? Thanks in advance for your advice/expertise.


I have a buddy with a 2014/2015 (not sure which) Ram 2500 4x4. It is high in the back for sure. (He tows a 5er, so I don't have an example from his truck.)

I tow a TT with my F250. Of course it doesn't sit as high, however I just upgraded my hitch and shank... so I have been doing a lot of shopping.

One good source is etrailer.com. You can search on shanks and you should find a lot to choose from.

How heavy is your trailer? If you're finding the 2-1/2" shanks have limited variety, try the 2" shanks. Unless you're over a certain weight, the 2" should be fine.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
The combo of the high Ram and the bottom coupler is killing you. 8" of drop is big.

Are you sure 24" is the receiver height. I think my buddy's is higher.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I have a buddy with a 2014/2015 (not sure which) Ram 2500 4x4. It is high in the back for sure. (He tows a 5er, so I don't have an example from his truck.)

I tow a TT with my F250. Of course it doesn't sit as high, however I just upgraded my hitch and shank... so I have been doing a lot of shopping.

One good source is etrailer.com. You can search on shanks and you should find a lot to choose from.

How heavy is your trailer? If you're finding the 2-1/2" shanks have limited variety, try the 2" shanks. Unless you're over a certain weight, the 2" should be fine.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH - That was my first thought, so I ordered a Reese sleeve to go from 2-1/2" to 2". When it came in, it was clearly marked "Not for Weight Distribution Use". The best 2-1/2" bar I can find is a Equalizer that has a 6" drop. Maybe there is a sleeve that is OK for Weight Distribution.
__________________

Dick & Donna
2014 Ram 2500 4x4
2016 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLIKS
RVEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVEagle View Post
325BH - That was my first thought, so I ordered a Reese sleeve to go from 2-1/2" to 2". When it came in, it was clearly marked "Not for Weight Distribution Use". The best 2-1/2" bar I can find is a Equalizer that has a 6" drop. Maybe there is a sleeve that is OK for Weight Distribution.


I had no idea the sleeves weren't for WD. Interesting.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I had no idea the sleeves weren't for WD. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09211A3 and FORD is stamped on the sleeve from my F250 nothing else. No indication it is not able to be used with a WDH. Check the manual. I tow a 5er so the sleeve is sitting on a shelf. It came with the truck.
__________________
2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
I use a sleeve and do WD, however my setup is different. I have the TorkLift Superhitch Magnum that has two receivers: a 2-1/2" and a 2". You can use one or both. They have a shank that uses both receivers at the same time. If you went this route, you could buy their really long (big drop) shank, however their hitch and shank is expensive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1466553439.270529.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	111742

I have their shorter (less drop) shank upside down for rise. They have a longer one that would give you more drop.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
500

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.