Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

Ram 2500 codes?

My Ram 2500 / Cummins has been pretty good, so far, but the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up. The check-engine light came on and the code is P20EE. That's some kind of sensor code about DEF delivery. Anyone had any experience with that? Is that part of the warranty? Gotta take it in tomorrow and get this looked at...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Senior Senior Member

No worries if it's a DEF code. Those parts are on an extended warranty in addition to the 5 year 100K power train. Probably you need to do what I do. Get a code reader and clear it then see if it comes back. Only one in ten do. Don't pay someone to read and clear. If it is a big deal it will let you know.

Best wishes
Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

schrederman, we have a 2014 Ram 2500 HD diesel and recently we were on vacation and my check engine light came on and my message center on the dash came up with "DEF System Requires Service". We went straight to the dealer and it turns out the catalytic converter was shot. They luckily had the part in stock and replaced it under warranty. Would have cost me $1700 otherwise. The service tech told me this was the third one in a month that they replaced.

Keep us posted on what you find out. This is of keen interest to me.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
No worries if it's a DEF code. Those parts are on an extended warranty in addition to the 5 year 100K power train. Probably you need to do what I do. Get a code reader and clear it then see if it comes back. Only one in ten do. Don't pay someone to read and clear. If it is a big deal it will let you know.

Best wishes
Went in this morning and dealership cleared it. I told them what the code was and they said about the same thing. Good advise! Thanks!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
Senior Senior Member

Good deal. Glad there's no issue. But now what Old Car posted has tickled my memory. I was driving through the night last year on our way down to Florida. Suddenly the message "DEF System Requires Service" displayed. No large city nearby and it was late, late at night. So I thought maybe the truck is lugging a bit and things are gumming up because I was driving slow and the RPMs were down near 1200. I shifted down into 5th to get the RPMs up and after several miles we stopped at a rest area and when we took off the message was gone!..... Never saw it again.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

schrederman, glad to hear your truck checked out okay.

raytwntrvlr--interesting that your service message disappeared. Maybe I over reacted but we saw in the owner's manual you basically had 150 miles to get it serviced before the engine was restricted to 5 MPH. It cost me a day of vacation time in Colorado but I guess it was worth the peace of mind since I didn't have to come out of pocket. I don't know if I had a true issue or if the dealer was making money through a claim back to Chrysler/Dodge/Ram.

I also see we are almost neighbors. We are down in Harrisonville. Maybe we'll see you at a local campground sometime!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

Interesting. I just got the DEF service message last night and just refilled the DEF Sunday night.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
My Ram 2500 / Cummins has been pretty good, so far, but the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up. The check-engine light came on and the code is P20EE. That's some kind of sensor code about DEF delivery. Anyone had any experience with that? Is that part of the warranty? Gotta take it in tomorrow and get this looked at...
Happy to read you problem was much to do about nothing. I too have a 2014 Ram 2500 cc tcd and have read about these codes popping up and maybe going into limp mode. I still have a little bumper-to-bumper left 27+K on mine but up to now no codes, hope it stays that way. Mine is a daily driver but I do get a fair amount of highway driving in. I'm retired so there are days it does not get driven at all. Love the truck
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #9

The timer has started... Popped up yesterday afternon.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
Engineer of Crazy Train

P20EE was common on the 14 EcoDiesels. They basically replaced all the 14's SCRs. Not saying that your SCR will be replaced, but it may need to be.

Now, what have you been running for DEF? Has it been sitting in the tank for long? I understand that the big trucks have smaller DEF tanks than the small trucks. If I am not traveling much, I will put a little in as needed. If I am traveling a lot, then I will fill up at the truck stop.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #11

How many of you are members of TDR (Turbo Diesel Register.com)? This is a web site that is dedicated to Ram/Cummins trucks with loads of information for the trucks and diesel engines. Which can answer your technical questions and any CELs questions that you may have on your truck. This is not a site were people will put you down for asking questions on your trucks, with several posters either have worked for Ram/Cummins or dealers. You can read the threads and see the responses, but you can not post unless you are a member.

I have been a member since I purchased my truck in Nov. 2007, and this is the best $35 a year that I spend on my truck.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #12

Should have referenced this thread in the "3/4 ton gas vs diesel " thread.

Contrary to some, there can be issues with diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
P20EE was common on the 14 EcoDiesels. They basically replaced all the 14's SCRs. Not saying that your SCR will be replaced, but it may need to be.

Now, what have you been running for DEF? Has it been sitting in the tank for long? I understand that the big trucks have smaller DEF tanks than the small trucks. If I am not traveling much, I will put a little in as needed. If I am traveling a lot, then I will fill up at the truck stop.
I've been using the Tech brand from Wally World, and have been keeping it full. Several mentions in my research say that it deteriorates faster in high temperatures. It is just below full right now, but my gauge is not accurate, apparently. Last time it was at this level, I took a trip and decided to top it off. It took a full 2.5 gallon bottle of the stuff and never looked back. So from now on I'm going to not add until it gets near empty, and only add 2.5 gallons at a time.

And......... the check-engine idiot light has not come back, so I doubt that it will.

And, I have 110 days until I get to retire from being a choo-choo man, myself. (not that I'm counting)

Tags