Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #41

Sounds like you are on the right path. I agree with you.

That red Clay is something else. You need a tire that is going to have wide biting surfaces and is going to clean out well so the lugs get a good clean bite.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/15...kes-them-work/

Here's an article that outlines what makes a good mud/AT tire. You probably don't need mud tires. However, the principles are the same.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #42

have you thought about using some sort of traction mat to get you going?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...raction+boards

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #43

That would easier than a shovel, lol I did think about those perforated WWII landing mats made out of steel that linked together when building airfields on those Pacific Islands
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #44

I know this thread is a little long in the tooth. However, I replaced the Firestone Transforce tires ( which I was not unhappy with ) with a set of General Grabber AT/X. Looking at the tread, I was concerned they'd be noisy. But reviews said otherwise. So took the chance. Have not pulled the trailer with these yet, but do not expect any surprises. Have a little over 5K miles on them. Have driven on wet roads, but not in actual rain. They handled the wet just fine Also, no chance to try getting out of mud. But they look like they'd do a least as well as the Transforce. I really like these tires. Very quiet & smooth. They track better than the Firestones as well. Just thought I'd put this option out there if you're looking to replace. Oh yea, I think they look good to.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
The newer Ram 2500's wont allow PSI to drop below 65-66 without tripping the TPMS. BTDT. My 12 2500 had the load settings. My 18 doesn't.
I solved my tpms issue by downloading Alphaobd to my tablet from the Android play store, purchased a firewall bypass to the obd, and purchased theobdlinkMX obd adapter. Reprogrammed the tpms threshold, no more damn light on! This software also gives you a lot of body module programming options, factory level stuff.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:45 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
I know this thread is a little long in the tooth. However, I replaced the Firestone Transforce tires ( which I was not unhappy with ) with a set of General Grabber AT/X. Looking at the tread, I was concerned they'd be noisy. But reviews said otherwise. So took the chance. Have not pulled the trailer with these yet, but do not expect any surprises. Have a little over 5K miles on them. Have driven on wet roads, but not in actual rain. They handled the wet just fine Also, no chance to try getting out of mud. But they look like they'd do a least as well as the Transforce. I really like these tires. Very quiet & smooth. They track better than the Firestones as well. Just thought I'd put this option out there if you're looking to replace. Oh yea, I think they look good to.

Tuckerdog1
Which Transforce tire? HT? HT2? AT? AT2?
Old 10-02-2019, 05:37 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I'd encourage you to take a look at the Cooper's. I included a link for above.

I have owned 3 sets of BFG AT KO's (LT tires) and was really impressed with the first set, ok with the second, and meh with the third.

The Cooper's are made in the USA (if you're into that kind of thing) and have a 60k treadlife warranty too (the AT KO's do not). On top of that they're about $50-60 less per tire.

The look is very good with side blocks and nice aggressive tread. Just a thought.. everyone has their opinion on what's best for them.
Not to be a downer. There was a day when the Cooper were good tires and were made with pride in the USA. Back in those times the tires were all marked with the mane of the team member that actually made the tire. In the past 3 years I have had 2 sets of Cooper tires that were not good at all. One set delaminated after only22k miles and tore the right front fender off my truck the second set warped and had several places of belt separation. neither set were backed by Cooper. Dealing with their customer service has been a real PIA.
2018 HD Fatbob S 114
Retired LEO,
Current Drug Diversion Investigator
Boris0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Sorry, not sure. Whatever was OEM on the truck ( bought new ). They are long gone. Likely whatever is still being put on current RAM HD trucks.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, not sure. Whatever was OEM on the truck ( bought new ). They are long gone. Likely whatever is still being put on current RAM HD trucks.
They come with A/Ts now.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris0119 View Post
Not to be a downer. There was a day when the Cooper were good tires and were made with pride in the USA. Back in those times the tires were all marked with the mane of the team member that actually made the tire. In the past 3 years I have had 2 sets of Cooper tires that were not good at all. One set delaminated after only22k miles and tore the right front fender off my truck the second set warped and had several places of belt separation. neither set were backed by Cooper. Dealing with their customer service has been a real PIA.
I would agree with you now after almost a year of owning these tires.

I thought my Cooper's were great. Now I'd like to turn back the clock and go with the BFG's that were the OE tire.

Too soft. It's supposed to be a 70k tire. I'll be lucky to get 40k out of them. I'll never own another set.

I'm sorry for suggesting they were awesome.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
They come with A/Ts now.
Thanks.

I know the Chevy's came with either HT or AT.

As a follow up to this thread on what I said about the AT tires my truck came with...They are definitely half gone at 20k and being that I'm in MN I will have to replace them next fall no matter the mileage because they won't have enough life left for my winter activities (hunting and ice fishing).
Old 10-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Thanks.

I know the Chevy's came with either HT or AT.

As a follow up to this thread on what I said about the AT tires my truck came with...They are definitely half gone at 20k and being that I'm in MN I will have to replace them next fall no matter the mileage because they won't have enough life left for my winter activities (hunting and ice fishing).
Previous years for Ram have used the HT apparently. For the A/Ts, the sipes disappear way too fast compared to the depth of tread left. I was hoping to have replaced them this fall but we didn't do a long trip this summer so I still have about 5/32" left with 36,000 kms on the truck. I've debated what tires to replace them with, it'll likely be Toyo A/T's.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, tire, tires, towing