Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 AM   #1

Ram 2500 tires/towing

Hi Folks I have a ram 2500 4x4 that I tow our 7500lb TT with. The truck came with those much hated Firestone transforce tires.
Since owning the truck I have gotten stuck on flat wet ground twice. Here's how it usually happens: While trying to ease away (even in 4 WD) the tires try to spin and once that happens that heavy diesel tries to drill to china. So before things get too bad I break out the shovel to get me out of another situation. ( the shovel now stays in the bed of the truck)

So what is a good all around tire to get me out of that typical situation while have a good towing tire too?

Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #2

I have only had my Cooper's for 6months but already love them. We've put about 10k on them so far.

They are definitely a little more aggressive than the Transforce.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-lt.aspx

Good price too..

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #3

Pretty simple.

A diesel is very front heavy causing this issue. Actually all pickups. In wet or snow they are bad at best.

Place #300 of play sand bags in the bed near the cab in October. Remove in spring.

Many trucks come with some sort of off road tires(any sport package)that also aggravates this. Good all season tires help.

The occasional use of four wheel drive in slippery situations when pulling our fiver helps too.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

do you have a light load setting on your truck? on my 2500 i can take the rear tire pressure down to 45 psi with out a load in the truck. this wouldhelp with traction if you ha that option. as for tires there area a lot of great tires out there. comes down to what you want road tires, off road tires. I currently have michelin ltx at2's. they would be better then the transforce but I can still get them spinning and I dont have the diesel. the michelin ltx ms tires are probably one of the best road tires. imo and what I am going to get next is the bfgoodrich all terrain ta ko2's.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
do you have a light load setting on your truck? on my 2500 i can take the rear tire pressure down to 45 psi with out a load in the truck. this wouldhelp with traction if you ha that option. as for tires there area a lot of great tires out there. comes down to what you want road tires, off road tires. I currently have michelin ltx at2's. they would be better then the transforce but I can still get them spinning and I dont have the diesel. the michelin ltx ms tires are probably one of the best road tires. imo and what I am going to get next is the bfgoodrich all terrain ta ko2's.
I'd encourage you to take a look at the Cooper's. I included a link for above.

I have owned 3 sets of BFG AT KO's (LT tires) and was really impressed with the first set, ok with the second, and meh with the third.

The Cooper's are made in the USA (if you're into that kind of thing) and have a 60k treadlife warranty too (the AT KO's do not). On top of that they're about $50-60 less per tire.

The look is very good with side blocks and nice aggressive tread. Just a thought.. everyone has their opinion on what's best for them.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #6

Hi Folks, thanks for the replies. I dont have a light load setting. Once when I got stuck I actually had about 400 lbs of tongue weight on the back end, had to un-hitch a drive on trailer, then go too digging to get the truck out, then get a tow strap out, drag trailer to a better position, re-hook back up...oh great fun it was!

Once I ease into a
roll, it goes without too much problem...its that initial "bite" I need to get rolling is what I seem to be missing. As it is now,I can not feather the pedal enough to gently roll it forward without it starting to spin

Im dealing with SC red clay " slippery when wet" and 50/50-sand/soil coastal region stuff

Yea, I need a good combination E range tire.

I had coopers years ago, seem to be pretty good tires, I will also look into the KO2's
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

I actaully had the at3's load range c on my old 1500 ram. i liked them just didnt have it long enough to see how they would be in few years and mileage wise. had the discoverer ht plus tires on the dw's old chrysler aspen. Cooper is definitely a good choice. I like the at3 xlt's. reason i was thinking about the bfg's is a couple of my buddies have had really good luck with them. I am also going to look toyo open country when it comes time. heard good things about them too.

for the op. I havent heard many good things about the tranforce tires. Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I'd encourage you to take a look at the Cooper's. I included a link for above.

I have owned 3 sets of BFG AT KO's (LT tires) and was really impressed with the first set, ok with the second, and meh with the third.

The Cooper's are made in the USA (if you're into that kind of thing) and have a 60k treadlife warranty too (the AT KO's do not). On top of that they're about $50-60 less per tire.

The look is very good with side blocks and nice aggressive tread. Just a thought.. everyone has their opinion on what's best for them.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I have only had my Cooper's for 6months but already love them. We've put about 10k on them so far.

They are definitely a little more aggressive than the Transforce.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT | Cooper Tire

Good price too..

X2 I liked my 1st set of Coopers so much, I got another set when it was time!! And agreed, good price!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
The newer Ram 2500's wont allow PSI to drop below 65-66 without tripping the TPMS. BTDT. My 12 2500 had the load settings. My 18 doesn't.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #10

3X
Go with the Cooper DISCOVERER AT3 LT.
Love mine even in Buffalo snow !

Jmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, tire, tires, towing