Old 03-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #1

Ram 2500 towing experiences...

I have been lurking in this forum for about 2 weeks now. I have, at great lengths, researched my vehicle's towing numbers/capacities. Honestly, reading through a lot of the "can my vehicle tow this" threads have me wondering if I can safely put a lawnmower into the rear of my HD Cummins equipped truck. I have a Wildcat 312QBX on order and arriving late April. I am looking for anyone who has this rig, towing it with a Ram 2500 that can tell me their towing experience with said vehicle. Not looking for advice on weights, looking for experience towing with said vehicle or similarly equipped, towing said RV or similarly equipped. That trailer has a dry weight of 9400#'s with GVW running up to 13775 I believe. Thanks much for any input.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

I have a 2015 Shasta Phoenix. 9,600 dry weight. 2014 Dodge Ram 6.4 HD Crew Cab short bed. Pull with a 15k Reese slider and never had a pull this smooth. You have the truck for a smooth ride even with a heavier load.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

I have no experience with a ram or wildcat trailer but I will say you should not be worried about your ram/cummins truck pulling that trailer. ANY late model 3/4ton or better truck GAS or Diesel should have no problem with that trailer wether it's over it's legal weight(s) or not.
Looking to purchase a Georgetown 364 ts Mh in the next couple of years.
mr dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

you need to post the payload capacity of your Ram.
that's where many trucks fail, when looking to tow a 5th wheel.
it's a more important number than the towing capacity or the GCWR numbers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #5

As I said earlier, I don't want to get into the numbers.. I've looked at them upwards, downwards, sideways, vertically, horizontally.. ETC... Ad nauseum... I am not looking at them anymore.. But, I will post this; payload = 2980 lbs. I weighed my truck on a CAT scale and loaded up am at 3280 lbs drive axle, with a 6500 lbs. RGAWR. From what I am getting at the CAT scale, I will more than likely exceed GVWR by a few hundred pounds, but not RGAWR, or GCWR. Again, I want to know who is driving similar vehicles towing similar trailers for real world experience. Please.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #6

I've been towing a Rockwood 8289 with 2006 Ram 2500 diesel for a year. I tow a lot in the Rockies and have crossed many passes over 10,000' elevation plus the 11,000' pass at Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 west of Denver. The truck/trailer have been a perfect match; I always have reserve power and have been able to accelerate on any grade, seldom going below 4th or 5th gear, but the loaded weight of that trailer is less than 9000 lb. This week I towed a Wildcat 327 about 750 from IN to MN (not a mountain in sight, highest elevation about 1300'). The unloaded trailer weight is just over 11,100 lbs. The Ram was in 5th gear maybe 25% of the time, and down to 4th several times. My sense of power in reserve was shaken. That could probably be corrected with a tuner, bumping torque up from the current 650 lb. ft. I use airbags with only 15 psi in them. The truck/trailer sat very level and felt and handled just fine. The payload of my truck is only 2004 lbs. Although I didn't visit a scale, I know I surpassed the truck's payload capacity by a few hundred pounds, but was probably well below the truck's rear axle wt. rating.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #7

No complaints with my set up. 05 2500 ram 4x4 Cummins and comparable 5'er. I use air bags, dont think I needed them but it makes up for lack of overloads (only difference between the SRW 2500 and 3500) Rarely shifts out of overdrive with the cruise set at 65.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I've been towing a Rockwood 8289 with 2006 Ram 2500 diesel for a year. I tow a lot in the Rockies and have crossed many passes over 10,000' elevation plus the 11,000' pass at Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 west of Denver. The truck/trailer have been a perfect match; I always have reserve power and have been able to accelerate on any grade, seldom going below 4th or 5th gear, but the loaded weight of that trailer is less than 9000 lb. This week I towed a Wildcat 327 about 750 from IN to MN (not a mountain in sight, highest elevation about 1300'). The unloaded trailer weight is just over 11,100 lbs. The Ram was in 5th gear maybe 25% of the time, and down to 4th several times. My sense of power in reserve was shaken. That could probably be corrected with a tuner, bumping torque up from the current 650 lb. ft. I use airbags with only 15 psi in them. The truck/trailer sat very level and felt and handled just fine. The payload of my truck is only 2004 lbs. Although I didn't visit a scale, I know I surpassed the truck's payload capacity by a few hundred pounds, but was probably well below the truck's rear axle wt. rating.
Thanks for the reply. No tuners for me, I decided to get the extended warranty and staying as stock as possible for now. Air bags are a maybe. According to the factory, this trailer comes in at 9325 unloaded. I currently tow a TT and plan on transferring the gear and exercising discipline in loading up. More my wife I think. Anyway, we may carry at most 600-700 pounds of gear which includes propane. I usually carry some water in the tank for potty breaks too. So, I don't think I will come close to 11,000 lbs.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #9

LostPatriot, Another thought on the weight of new trailers; the advertised weight (from brochure) will invariably be inaccurate, always on the low side. For example, the base weight of a Wildcat 327 is shown in the brochure to be 10,410 lbs. The shipping weight of the one I towed from Indiana was supposed to be a little over 10,700, but the dry wt. posted on the camper is 11,110. I know you don't want to look at numbers anymore, but it's hard to ignore them.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #10

We have a 08 ram 2500 mega cab CTD, I installed firestone ride rites run at 30 psi when towing, trailer is '13 silverback 29 RE empty weight approx 10300lbs. I have towed it to Branson MO. and to Fairmont hot springs and locally around home, it handles just fine. In the mountains and hill country I leave the cruise off and on long steep grades 8% I will run in fifth gear. Otherwise I run with cruise on in sixth gear and the tow haul mode on of course. Handles great , love it!

Tags
500, towing