Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 256
Ram 3500 MegaCab Shortbed SRW question

We're about to pull the trigger on a new 5er and truck. We're getting the Cedar Creek 36CK2 Hathawy Edition. I've done lots of reading and investigating different tow vehicles and hitches. I am pretty sure I want to get a 2014-2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Shortbed SRW for the truck. We are planning some long trips, but will not be fulltiming. This truck will be my daily, so trying to stay away from a longbed and/or dually. This truck configuration has a GVWR of 12400 lbs and max payload of 4400 lbs. I'm assuming pin weight on the trailer of 3100lbs (15,000lb+ trailer weight) so there's still 1300lbs available for people, fuel, gear and hitch. Now the hitch is a different story. Most things I've read, clearly state the need for a slider. However, I've seen several forum posts where folks are using the Anderson Ultimate in a shortbed with no issues.

So my questions:

Does my truck choice appear correct?
What would be the best/recommended hitch setup?
Would love to see pictures of this rig and truck setup if anyone is running the same thing?
__________________

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Cypressloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alberta - East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Posts: 1,335
You may be able to make it work, however 4400 lbs payload seems a bit optimistic to me depending on configuration and options installed.
I have the Andersen and have no problem recommending it.
__________________

__________________
2018 RAM 5500 Laramie CC
Fulltiminig in our Riverstone Legacy 38RE, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
SlfMdeFam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 463
I have a SuperGlide auto slider in my short bed Ram 2500. I absolutely love it. Never a worry of the front cap hitting my cab. I know the MegaCab has a low payload rating for some odd reason compared to crewcab. I wanted the MegaCab but for 2 reason chose different.

1) the lower payload.
2) the cost to have 8” more cab didn’t add up to me.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
You may be able to make it work, however 4400 lbs payload seems a bit optimistic to me depending on configuration and options installed.
I have the Andersen and have no problem recommending it.

Thanks Cypressloser. Is your Ram a shortbed dually? If so, that is my second choice for a truck.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
I have a SuperGlide auto slider in my short bed Ram 2500. I absolutely love it. Never a worry of the front cap hitting my cab. I know the MegaCab has a low payload rating for some odd reason compared to crewcab. I wanted the MegaCab but for 2 reason chose different.

1) the lower payload.
2) the cost to have 8” more cab didn’t add up to me.
The tables I'm looking at show the SB CC Laramie to have a 3980lb payload (page 5) and the SB MegaCab Laramie to have a 4400lb payload (page 11). They are less for the 2500.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
FrankG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 266
Are you getting the Aisin transmission or sticking with the 68RFE? The Aisin includes the HO Cummins, with 930 ft lb of torque, either way you are stuck with a 3:42 rear until you go to a DRW setup. Don't get me wrong you are getting one of the most capable tow vehicles available. From what I see you will not be over any of the numbers.

Not to scare you but there have been some reports of broken frames above the pin box. Again, out of hundreds of thousand 5th wheel frames I have only read of about a hand full. With that said I am considering changing to an Air Suspension Pin Box to soften the shock.
__________________
2018 Haulin 6 x 12 Cargo Trailer by Forest River (A legal Tow )
2017 Laredo 325RL
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
2016 Ram 2500, 4x4 Laramie CCSB 6.7 Cummins
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Cypressloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alberta - East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Thanks Cypressloser. Is your Ram a shortbed dually? If so, that is my second choice for a truck.
DRW, actually sold it and waiting for the new truck to show up hopefully before Christmas.
__________________
2018 RAM 5500 Laramie CC
Fulltiminig in our Riverstone Legacy 38RE, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Cypressloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alberta - East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Are you getting the Aisin transmission or sticking with the 68RFE? The Aisin includes the HO Cummins, with 930 ft lb of torque, either way you are stuck with a 3:42 rear until you go to a DRW setup. Don't get me wrong you are getting one of the most capable tow vehicles available. From what I see you will not be over any of the numbers.

Not to scare you but there have been some reports of broken frames above the pin box. Again, out of hundreds of thousand 5th wheel frames I have only read of about a hand full. With that said I am considering changing to an Air Suspension Pin Box to soften the shock.
The Cummins/Aisin with 3.42 gear ratio is what we use(d) to pull our 19k 5th wheel all over the Canadian Rockies, there is no need to go higher IMHO and our '13 has even slightly lower torque.
__________________
2018 RAM 5500 Laramie CC
Fulltiminig in our Riverstone Legacy 38RE, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jim34RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oswego il
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Are you getting the Aisin transmission or sticking with the 68RFE? The Aisin includes the HO Cummins, with 930 ft lb of torque, either way you are stuck with a 3:42 rear until you go to a DRW setup. Don't get me wrong you are getting one of the most capable tow vehicles available. From what I see you will not be over any of the numbers.

Not to scare you but there have been some reports of broken frames above the pin box. Again, out of hundreds of thousand 5th wheel frames I have only read of about a hand full. With that said I am considering changing to an Air Suspension Pin Box to soften the shock.


There is nothing wrong with the 3:42 differential that is being used with the SRW trucks by Ram when using the Cummins 6.7L engine. Per the FCA applications engineer the SRW trucks can tow any vehicle without difficulty as rated in the SAE J 2807 towing requirements. This was confirmed to several of us at the rollout of the 2013.5 trucks at the Cummins CMEP plant that was held by TDR in June of 2013.
__________________
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67, TDR 112K+miles
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
FrankG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
There is nothing wrong with the 3:42 differential that is being used with the SRW trucks by Ram when using the Cummins 6.7L engine. Per the FCA applications engineer the SRW trucks can tow any vehicle without difficulty as rated in the SAE J 2807 towing requirements. This was confirmed to several of us at the rollout of the 2013.5 trucks at the Cummins CMEP plant that was held by TDR in June of 2013.
Forgive me, I was not implying there was anything wrong with the 3:42 differential. I think that towing on the heavy side a 3:73 may work out better. Personally I truly enjoy our 2016 2500 Laramie with the CTD pulling our 13K fifth wheel. Just get tired of all the negative comments because it does not have a 3500 badge on the side of it.
__________________

__________________
2018 Haulin 6 x 12 Cargo Trailer by Forest River (A legal Tow )
2017 Laredo 325RL
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
2016 Ram 2500, 4x4 Laramie CCSB 6.7 Cummins
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3500, 500, bed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.