Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Ram 3500 MegaCab Shortbed SRW question

We're about to pull the trigger on a new 5er and truck. We're getting the Cedar Creek 36CK2 Hathawy Edition. I've done lots of reading and investigating different tow vehicles and hitches. I am pretty sure I want to get a 2014-2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Shortbed SRW for the truck. We are planning some long trips, but will not be fulltiming. This truck will be my daily, so trying to stay away from a longbed and/or dually. This truck configuration has a GVWR of 12400 lbs and max payload of 4400 lbs. I'm assuming pin weight on the trailer of 3100lbs (15,000lb+ trailer weight) so there's still 1300lbs available for people, fuel, gear and hitch. Now the hitch is a different story. Most things I've read, clearly state the need for a slider. However, I've seen several forum posts where folks are using the Anderson Ultimate in a shortbed with no issues.

So my questions:

Does my truck choice appear correct?
What would be the best/recommended hitch setup?
Would love to see pictures of this rig and truck setup if anyone is running the same thing?

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

You may be able to make it work, however 4400 lbs payload seems a bit optimistic to me depending on configuration and options installed.
I have the Andersen and have no problem recommending it.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

I have a SuperGlide auto slider in my short bed Ram 2500. I absolutely love it. Never a worry of the front cap hitting my cab. I know the MegaCab has a low payload rating for some odd reason compared to crewcab. I wanted the MegaCab but for 2 reason chose different.

1) the lower payload.
2) the cost to have 8” more cab didn’t add up to me.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
You may be able to make it work, however 4400 lbs payload seems a bit optimistic to me depending on configuration and options installed.
I have the Andersen and have no problem recommending it.

Thanks Cypressloser. Is your Ram a shortbed dually? If so, that is my second choice for a truck.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
I have a SuperGlide auto slider in my short bed Ram 2500. I absolutely love it. Never a worry of the front cap hitting my cab. I know the MegaCab has a low payload rating for some odd reason compared to crewcab. I wanted the MegaCab but for 2 reason chose different.

1) the lower payload.
2) the cost to have 8” more cab didn’t add up to me.
The tables I'm looking at show the SB CC Laramie to have a 3980lb payload (page 5) and the SB MegaCab Laramie to have a 4400lb payload (page 11). They are less for the 2500.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #6

Are you getting the Aisin transmission or sticking with the 68RFE? The Aisin includes the HO Cummins, with 930 ft lb of torque, either way you are stuck with a 3:42 rear until you go to a DRW setup. Don't get me wrong you are getting one of the most capable tow vehicles available. From what I see you will not be over any of the numbers.

Not to scare you but there have been some reports of broken frames above the pin box. Again, out of hundreds of thousand 5th wheel frames I have only read of about a hand full. With that said I am considering changing to an Air Suspension Pin Box to soften the shock.
2016 Ram 2500, 4x4 Laramie CCSB 6.7 Cummins
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Thanks Cypressloser. Is your Ram a shortbed dually? If so, that is my second choice for a truck.
DRW, actually sold it and waiting for the new truck to show up hopefully before Christmas.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Are you getting the Aisin transmission or sticking with the 68RFE? The Aisin includes the HO Cummins, with 930 ft lb of torque, either way you are stuck with a 3:42 rear until you go to a DRW setup. Don't get me wrong you are getting one of the most capable tow vehicles available. From what I see you will not be over any of the numbers.

Not to scare you but there have been some reports of broken frames above the pin box. Again, out of hundreds of thousand 5th wheel frames I have only read of about a hand full. With that said I am considering changing to an Air Suspension Pin Box to soften the shock.
The Cummins/Aisin with 3.42 gear ratio is what we use(d) to pull our 19k 5th wheel all over the Canadian Rockies, there is no need to go higher IMHO and our '13 has even slightly lower torque.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post

There is nothing wrong with the 3:42 differential that is being used with the SRW trucks by Ram when using the Cummins 6.7L engine. Per the FCA applications engineer the SRW trucks can tow any vehicle without difficulty as rated in the SAE J 2807 towing requirements. This was confirmed to several of us at the rollout of the 2013.5 trucks at the Cummins CMEP plant that was held by TDR in June of 2013.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
There is nothing wrong with the 3:42 differential that is being used with the SRW trucks by Ram when using the Cummins 6.7L engine. Per the FCA applications engineer the SRW trucks can tow any vehicle without difficulty as rated in the SAE J 2807 towing requirements. This was confirmed to several of us at the rollout of the 2013.5 trucks at the Cummins CMEP plant that was held by TDR in June of 2013.
Forgive me, I was not implying there was anything wrong with the 3:42 differential. I think that towing on the heavy side a 3:73 may work out better. Personally I truly enjoy our 2016 2500 Laramie with the CTD pulling our 13K fifth wheel. Just get tired of all the negative comments because it does not have a 3500 badge on the side of it.

2016 Ram 2500, 4x4 Laramie CCSB 6.7 Cummins
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, bed