Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrsafe View Post
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my questions about towing with a Ram 3500 and which transmission, rear gear ratio set, etc. We have decided to downsize our camper length and weight a bit to be under the “magic” number of 35’ so that we can stay in the National Park system. I am looking for suggestions, looking to stay with RAM. Trailer weight max approximately 15,000 lbs. What do the experts say, what campers should we be looking at? Do we need to stay with a dually? Or will SRW work? I really want to get this right the first time as we plan to full time as soon as we retire.

Pete
Pete,
Let me clear up one item on a Ram SRW trucks with the Cummins engine installed. Since 2013.5 model year all SRW trucks offer's just one differential a 3:42 ratio. You can get either the Aisin or the 68RFE auto transmission in them. This was stated to us at the rally that was held at the Cummins plant which I attended in 2013. The 68RFE auto is a great transmission but you just can't break the AISIN under normal HP/TQ and towing usage.

Now I have been towing my 34RL Cedar Creek which has a GWR of 16,000 LBS with my 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500 SRW with the 6.7L Cummins and the 68RFE auto transmission. I purchased this in May of 2015 and have towed this trailer out west and east through the Rockies mountains going thru the Eisenhower tunnel with easy. My only alteration that I have made to the ability to tow this trailer, was my tires and rims. My tires are Nitto Dura Grapplers LT285/70R/17 126S which means they have a weight carrying ability of 3750 LBS at 80 PSI.

I am not saying you can do this but this is what I am towing with.

Any 3500 Ram with the Cummins and Aisin transmission has been tested to meet the SAE J2807 towing requirements. Any truck built after 2013.5 MY is rated to tow at least a 16,000 LB trailer, if equipped with the Cummins 6.7L and an auto transmission. So, you should be good to go with a SRW Ram truck.

P.S. The "weight police" may not agree with me!

Jim
Old 01-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #62

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my questions about towing with a Ram 3500 and which transmission, rear gear ratio set, etc. We have decided to downsize our camper length and weight a bit to be under the “magic” number of 35’ so that we can stay in the National Park system. I am looking for suggestions, looking to stay with RAM. Trailer weight max approximately 15,000 lbs. What do the experts say, what campers should we be looking at? Do we need to stay with a dually? Or will SRW work? I really want to get this right the first time as we plan to full time as soon as we retire.

Pete
Pete

The one question you asked, "what camper should we be looking at?" is a very important question if you intend to full time with it. There are units rated for full time living. Seek them out, they have build qualities missing in lesser units. Know the climate you intend wintering in, and if it includes the teens or below . Our only savior this week has been the built in electric fireplace. We now winter in central Florida in a standard built fifth wheel and the deficiencies show. Yes, there are horror stories of mold and mildew down here.

I would not be afraid of a Cedar Creek with double pane windows, many people full time with them down here.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Pete

The one question you asked, "what camper should we be looking at?" is a very important question if you intend to full time with it. There are units rated for full time living. Seek them out, they have build qualities missing in lesser units. Know the climate you intend wintering in, and if it includes the teens or below . Our only savior this week has been the built in electric fireplace. We now winter in central Florida in a standard built fifth wheel and the deficiencies show. Yes, there are horror stories of mold and mildew down here.

I would not be afraid of a Cedar Creek with double pane windows, many people full time with them down here.
We live in Florida and will winter here. No plans to camp anywhere it gets too cold for long. My DW hates the cold so we will move to warmer climates as winter approaches. Dual pane windows are a must. Thanks for the help.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #64

Quote:
We live in Florida and will winter here. No plans to camp anywhere it gets too cold for long. My DW hates the cold so we will move to warmer climates as winter approaches. Dual pane windows are a must. Thanks for the help.

Pete
RU going to the RV show in Tampa? Jan 17 to 21. You will be thoroughly confused when you leave. I get confused just going through Lazy Days RV
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
RU going to the RV show in Tampa? Jan 17 to 21. You will be thoroughly confused when you leave. I get confused just going through Lazy Days RV
Yes we going to the Tampa show, you are right probably come away more confused than before. We have been doing our research since last May. We purchased our current Flagstaff unit in June to try it out to see if the RV lifestyle suited us. Well we thoroughly enjoyed the 3 trips we took in it and now are looking to upgrade to our full time home after we sell our house, which hopefully will happen very soon. We will be putting it on the market in the next week. If it sells faster than we think we can live in our Flagstaff until we buy the “new house on wheels” Thanks to everyone for your help, it is appreciated.

Pete
Old 01-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #66

Quote:

Pete
Under 35ft and under 15k both clearly fit in SRW territory although you need to have all of the numbers to be 100% certain. Here's my 2 cents:

Is a dually going to tow a little bit better? Sure, but probably not dramatically better at that weight and length.

Is a dually much safer in the event of a rear wheel blowout while towing. You bet.

Is an SRW truck going to be much better and easier to deal with when you aren't towing? Absolutely.

What would I do in your situation? SRW all day long. I've owned both and they both have their place in the world but the newer trucks tow so much better these days, the bar for what I see as making a dually necessary has certainly been raised.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #67

I had a 3500 2005 Ram SRW and pulled a 38’ Jayco Designer weight about 14,700 lbs and never had a problem. But keep this in mind, after you go FT you may find that you want more room because there’s a big difference between vacationing in a smaller rig and actually living in one. So you may want to consider a larger truck to begin with. That way if you do up size you’ll have a truck that’s able to haul it. I would go with a Ram 3500 Dually, crew cab with a Long bed and 4:14 rear end. If you go New 2017 or 2018, and check on Rams site about pulling capabilities I think you’ll fine it can pull up to 30,000 lbs.
also, although you do not require a Dually to pull liter TT or Fifth-Wheels, a Dually has more stability then a SRW truck does.
Clear Sky’s and Safe Travels. [emoji41]
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil falls View Post
I had a 3500 2005 Ram SRW and pulled a 38’ Jayco Designer weight about 14,700 lbs and never had a problem. But keep this in mind, after you go FT you may find that you want more room because there’s a big difference between vacationing in a smaller rig and actually living in one. So you may want to consider a larger truck to begin with. That way if you do up size you’ll have a truck that’s able to haul it. I would go with a Ram 3500 Dually, crew cab with a Long bed and 4:14 rear end. If you go New 2017 or 2018, and check on Rams site about pulling capabilities I think you’ll fine it can pull up to 30,000 lbs.
also, although you do not require a Dually to pull liter TT or Fifth-Wheels, a Dually has more stability then a SRW truck does.
Clear Sky’s and Safe Travels. [emoji41]
Thanks,

I had considered that we may want to move up in size after a bit. Going to focus on a dually Ram.

Pete
Old 01-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #69

I have a dually. I'm not full time, but camp over 200 days a year. There are only TWO times that I wish I had an SRW. One is in the line at the bank (I can't go there unless the outside ATM lane is huge), two is at automatic car washes. Both of those are when I'm unhooked. When hooked up, I've NEVER thought "Boy, I wish I had a smaller truck". I have no problem parking dually at Walmart, church parking lot, restaurants, you name it. You just learn where to park, fold in Dumbo's Ears (the mirrors), and do it.

There's trade-offs both ways. Everyone touts the solution that they have.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #70

Update on Truck and Camper

We found a 2016 Ram 3500 68 RFE trans Laramie dually 3.73 rear gear with only 11K miles in our town and purchased last week. Bought our Riverstone 38FB2 at the Tampa RV Show yesterday. Thanks to everyone for your help with my questions.
Hope to see you on the road someday.

Pete
Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #71

You're gonna love it. The mileage, stability, its ability to tame that new trailer on the highway with the big boys or big wind for sure!

Our rig is so stable/easy to drive DW frequently wants to drive when in between urban areas.

(truck: 68RFE, 3.73, Trailer 14k lbs)

Excellent choice!

A few links you probably have but just in case you might find useful

Look up your truck's payload and towing capacity (click look up my vehicle")

RAM equipment list by VIN (Enter VIN middle page just to the right)
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #72

Congrats!

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, towing