Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #1

Ram fuel mileage

I know there will be a wide range of answers to this question but here goes.
what do you pull with your 3/4 diesel ram and what fuel mileage do you get.
wondering if the fuel mileage is high enough to cover the price difference between gas and diesel.
blasingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #2

9-11MPG on average with my 13-14k loaded 40' Wolf Pack 5th wheel. Not as good as I had hoped, but still better than the 7-9 I got pulling my 31' TT with my 2015 hemi 1500.

Unloaded its about 23-24 cruising 65-70 hwy which beat my hemi by 1-2mpg

Unless you will be a full timer, I wouldn't play the MPG game when it comes to the decision. It's pretty negligible. If you don't need the diesel for the pulling power (I couldn't get the tow capacity I needed with the 6.4l), I would recommend a gasser. Less cost of ownership vs. diesel. I love my diesel for pulling, but it's a lot more for oil changes, DEF, and diesel is the same cost as premium gas here. That and not all gas stations have diesel pumps.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #3

Just finished 4200 miles from Ohio into Colorado to the black hills and back. Not all flat by a long shot.

Pulling about a 14,000 fifth wheel with my 2016 2500 Ram.

Mileage was 10.3. Driving around .60-65. Includes driving about while the rv is parked.

On the highway without the trailer we get 20 at 75mph. 24 at 65. Who drives 65.

The wife’s truck gets about 12-14 around town. Doing everything to get bad mileage.

We bought the diesel because of mileage. While more expensive at purchase you get your money back when sold. Look at NADA etc.

In Houston diesel was cheaper than premium gas. Paid the most in Illinois. $1.00 per gallon more.

The performance is more than adequate with the diesel.

Using the cruise and engine brake is really nice. It will tow better which does not matter if your yearly towing is not many miles. We have a 8,000 mile trip getting set up for 2019.

Likely if we were not planning a lot of towing I would have bought the 6.4.

Not sure how I vote today. The wife likes her diesel a lot. She prefers the sound of the Cummins 6 over the v-8 diesels.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

I don't think the fuel economy alone will cover the price difference but factor in resale and you might get there. If you drive way more than the average like moving campers or freight back and forth across country the diesel option might pay on it's own. There are also costs involved with a more expensive truck that you should also consider. At the bare minimum 3% per year in financing, even paying cash you could have invested that $8000 or whatever difference and made more than 3% in returns. Sales tax is probably another. I have had both and like both, personally now I kind of want to trade mt Cummins on a 6.2 gas Hummer. I want 7 passenger and better off road. With the mileage I put per year the 12.5 mpg I get towing with the Cummins is only a few hundred dollar savings over what we used to get 9mpg with the hemi and the same trailer. I can go to 7 even with the Hummer and it would just be another few hundred dollars the other way. Then I don't have to spend probably $5000 at least building a Jeep to go off road, can haul the family including grandkids, tow the camper, and still have a nice ride on my short city drive to work. See it's more about how you use it. If it's a dedicated tow rig get the diesel.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Just finished 4200 miles from Ohio into Colorado to the black hills and back. Not all flat by a long shot.

Pulling about a 14,000 fifth wheel with my 2016 2500 Ram.

Mileage was 10.3. Driving around .60-65. Includes driving about while the rv is parked.

On the highway without the trailer we get 20 at 75mph. 24 at 65. Who drives 65.

The wife’s truck gets about 12-14 around town. Doing everything to get bad mileage.

We bought the diesel because of mileage. While more expensive at purchase you get your money back when sold. Look at NADA etc.

In Houston diesel was cheaper than premium gas. Paid the most in Illinois. $1.00 per gallon more.

The performance is more than adequate with the diesel.

Using the cruise and engine brake is really nice. It will tow better which does not matter if your yearly towing is not many miles. We have a 8,000 mile trip getting set up for 2019.

Likely if we were not planning a lot of towing I would have bought the 6.4.

Not sure how I vote today. The wife likes her diesel a lot. She prefers the sound of the Cummins 6 over the v-8 diesels.

Get your money back when sold ??? you pay more up front . same same . less for gasser and less of resale . more for diesel and more on resale . total costs to operate are still way less with a gasser then a diesel
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Not to hijack, but I find this interesting. Maybe it depends on where in IL, but after driving IL -> MO -> KS -> CO -> AZ -> UT -> ID -> MT -> WY -> SD -> IA -> IL...the cheapest diesel for the whole trip was back here at home in IL. Right now it's under $2.80/gal.

Most places during our trip last month the price for diesel was between $3.25/gal and $3.49/gal or so. Prices along the interstates have been consistently higher than in towns/cities and secondary roads.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
total costs to operate are still way less with a gasser then a diesel
Curious why you think gassers are "way less" to operate.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #8

Before I purchased a diesel I researched resale values.

What was clear is you pay 8 plus for a diesel after all is done. New.

When you sell it you receive roughly the same amount more when sold used.

Maintenance cost on a diesel is higher per year. I pay $250 for two oil changes and two filters. A gasser is likely $100. $150 difference a year. However they get better mileage. I burned 400 gallons of diesel on our vacation. I would have burned 70-80 more with a gasser. The 6.4 I almost purchased burned premium which often costs more than diesel.

However maintenance costs for a gasser are higher in later years. Check your maintenance schedule and get some prices.

Ram diesels last forever. The truck falls apart. Formally The Cummins had a lifetime warranty.

I stand by what I said. If you tow much the diesel makes sense. I like the 6.4 Ram gasser. Almost bought one. We are planning an 8,000 mile trip next year.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

Quote:
The 6.4 I almost purchased burned premium
That's actually not correct, the truck 6.4 takes regular unleaded. The 6.4 in the cars and Durango require premium.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Curious why you think gassers are "way less" to operate.
No def , less cost for oil changes . less cost for fuel , less cost for general maintenance . no fuel filter to change with oil change , no additives for the fuel . and when something does go wrong . with a gasser it's usually a couple hundred not a couple thousands . diesels are great if you need them . oh and lets not forget when that def -regen starts giving you problems and your stuck for a week waiting on parts while your on the road . hotels towing . even though l;ots of time warranty will pay that it will never pay the time lost . my son just went through this with his 07 ford and he always has the diesels mechs at his shop forcing re-gens on their pick-ups and wireline trucks
Old 08-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Before I purchased a diesel I researched resale values.

What was clear is you pay 8 plus for a diesel after all is done. New.

When you sell it you receive roughly the same amount more when sold used.

Maintenance cost on a diesel is higher per year. I pay $250 for two oil changes and two filters. A gasser is likely $100. $150 difference a year. However they get better mileage. I burned 400 gallons of diesel on our vacation. I would have burned 70-80 more with a gasser. The 6.4 I almost purchased burned premium which often costs more than diesel.

However maintenance costs for a gasser are higher in later years. Check your maintenance schedule and get some prices.

Ram diesels last forever. The truck falls apart. Formally The Cummins had a lifetime warranty.

I stand by what I said. If you tow much the diesel makes sense. I like the 6.4 Ram gasser. Almost bought one. We are planning an 8,000 mile trip next year.

$100 for an oil change on a gasser . more like $30. $49 if you pay someone to do it
Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #12

The oil changes on my RAM Cummins Diesel are less than on my Toyota Prius. The RAM don't get 50 MPG but I pulls my Cedar Creek like it was a PopUP camper
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
No def , less cost for oil changes . less cost for fuel , less cost for general maintenance . no fuel filter to change with oil change , no additives for the fuel . and when something does go wrong . with a gasser it's usually a couple hundred not a couple thousands . diesels are great if you need them . oh and lets not forget when that def -regen starts giving you problems and your stuck for a week waiting on parts while your on the road . hotels towing . even though l;ots of time warranty will pay that it will never pay the time lost . my son just went through this with his 07 ford and he always has the diesels mechs at his shop forcing re-gens on their pick-ups and wireline trucks
Sorry your son had problems, but an '07...that's first year DPF emissions, lots of issues when they first came out and the Fords of that generation were the most problematic, IMO.

You're also behind on what maintenance costs for current gas trucks and how cheap maintenance for diesels is, even with synthetic oil. They really aren't much different, even when including fuel filters 1-2 times a year or every 15k for most trucks.

Diesel cost per gallon isn't what you need to consider either, it's diesel cost per mile.

Anyway, we all have our reasons and sources to justify what we have or like but I find it best to leave the real costs up to those who own the trucks instead of making assumptions about a vehicle you don't own.

If a few bucks a year is a deal breaker then you're in the wrong hobby.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have seen alot of post even on newer Diesels having issues with DEF not just older ones. And who goes 15000 miles on an oil change. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I have seen alot of post even on newer Diesels having issues with DEF not just older ones. And who goes 15000 miles on an oil change. Later RJD
Not sure where you got 15k oil changes, I said fuel filter changes.

You see "lots" of posts because people post up to complain or find fixes, just like any product forums. If you actually extrapolated that data out and compared it to the number of such vehicles sold then you'd see the people with issues are a very small percentage of the vehicles.

Put another way, if people saw all the complaints on here about FR products and decided not to buy one as a result would that be foolish? What if they assumed that everyone has issues because there are "lots" of problem posts?

Look for a vehicle forum that doesn't have lots of complaints, I don't think you'll have much luck. It's just the nature of forums. People go to them to complain, not praise.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Sorry your son had problems, but an '07...that's first year DPF emissions, lots of issues when they first came out and the Fords of that generation were the most problematic, IMO.

You're also behind on what maintenance costs for current gas trucks and how cheap maintenance for diesels is, even with synthetic oil. They really aren't much different, even when including fuel filters 1-2 times a year or every 15k for most trucks.

Diesel cost per gallon isn't what you need to consider either, it's diesel cost per mile.

Anyway, we all have our reasons and sources to justify what we have or like but I find it best to leave the real costs up to those who own the trucks instead of making assumptions about a vehicle you don't own.

If a few bucks a year is a deal breaker then you're in the wrong hobby.

sorry not an 07 typo try 2017 . and i'm not behind on costs for gasser maintenance quite the opposite , since i do it all my self i know exactly what it costs over the 178,xxx miles have had the truck i have now and from all the other trucks i've owned .

also we are not talking a few bucks a year as you say , and what i do is not a hobby .

i won't respond to your posts anymore there is no reason to argue about it . i have to many real life friends with diesels and know that most of the stuff on these forums about diesels is BS like mpg and costs to operate . The only real facts are the HP and torque , their great for towing heavy loads say over 12+++ lbs that's about it
Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #17

Holy Mileage batman..What do gas engines,oil changes and DEF matter in a thread about Cummins MPG?

I know I went off on a small tangent in a 6.4 thread, but at least I owned a 6.4

OP.. I expect you'll get decent mileage considering what your towing. We have good friends from church who have the exact same 2500 as us except with the cummins and he gets freakishly good fuel mileage for a truck pulling a big rv behind..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure where you got 15k oil changes, I said fuel filter changes.

You see "lots" of posts because people post up to complain or find fixes, just like any product forums. If you actually extrapolated that data out and compared it to the number of such vehicles sold then you'd see the people with issues are a very small percentage of the vehicles.

Put another way, if people saw all the complaints on here about FR products and decided not to buy one as a result would that be foolish? What if they assumed that everyone has issues because there are "lots" of problem posts?

Look for a vehicle forum that doesn't have lots of complaints, I don't think you'll have much luck. It's just the nature of forums. People go to them to complain, not praise.
Yep miss read it but still even fuel filters should be changed long before that. Ya the fact is they have problems face it. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Yep miss read it but still even fuel filters should be changed long before that. Ya the fact is they have problems face it. Later RJD
Not sure what you want me to do, create pretend problems with my truck or the 4 previous diesels I've owned?

Gas vehicles have problems, too. Face it.

Fuel filters need to be changed when they need to be changed, there is no bypass like oil filters so worst case the filter restricts flow and the engine loses power. Filters don't need to be changed every oil change or even every other oil change unless fuel use or quality dictates it. My current diesel has 2 fuel filters and can go up to 37,500 miles between fuel filter changes. I'm at 17k miles on the original filters and have ~34% life left according to the computer, which monitors flow/pressure drop to determine when the filters need to be changed. The filters are cheap, too.

Keep banging that "modern diesels are problematic" drum all you want if it makes you feel better. I'll keep driving my problem-free diesel.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #20

My 1995 that I used on the farm hauling grain and off season delivered RV's. It had 367,XXX miles on it when I sold it to my neighbor 7 years ago and is still running today. Only repairs that were costly was from bad fuel I got in Florida and a sensor on the transmission that went senseless. On my 07 6.7, I have had no problems other than with front end GURRR. I have owned it for more than 8 years.
maxxtc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, mileage