Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #21

I understand the jackknife. However, even if you make a 90 degree turn like on a city street the camper doesn't turn 90 degrees. It does however turn maybe 45 degrees which is half way through the turn. That to me seems to be the point when the camper comes closest to the truck cab on the camper leading edge. Unless I have an automatic slide I shouldn't be able to make the turn going forward or reverse. Most of the hitches I've seen aren't automatic so how do they make tight turns going forward? This would be a more critical turn if it were over a large rise or dip in the road.
pryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryner View Post
I understand the jackknife. However, even if you make a 90 degree turn like on a city street the camper doesn't turn 90 degrees. It does however turn maybe 45 degrees which is half way through the turn. That to me seems to be the point when the camper comes closest to the truck cab on the camper leading edge. Unless I have an automatic slide I shouldn't be able to make the turn going forward or reverse. Most of the hitches I've seen aren't automatic so how do they make tight turns going forward? This would be a more critical turn if it were over a large rise or dip in the road.
I tow with a 2008, Ram Mega Cab with a Reese Manual slider hitch. The only time I need to slide the hitch back into the maneuverer position is backing into my driveway and in campgrounds with narrow roads. For all other times driving in the city and or on the highways the hitch is in the towed position with no towing issues at all.

A manual is less expensive and is adequate for the job intended. The reason why everyone pushes the automatic hitch is that they are trying to justify the expense of buying one.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #23

All I know is I have a dented cab, 6 1/2' bed BEFORE I got the slider... and yes I was acting stupidly(inexperienced)... So for me it's a no-brainer
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #24
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I tow with a 2008, Ram Mega Cab with a Reese Manual slider hitch. The only time I need to slide the hitch back into the maneuverer position is backing into my driveway and in campgrounds with narrow roads. For all other times driving in the city and or on the highways the hitch is in the towed position with no towing issues at all.

A manual is less expensive and is adequate for the job intended. The reason why everyone pushes the automatic hitch is that they are trying to justify the expense of buying one.
BS...I carry a scooter on top of bed rails up behind cab....need the slider to make corners....sure they cost more, but I don't get wet either, nor do I have to deal with the hassle of a manual...they all work, just depends on how many times you want to get in and out and in tight turns depend on a spotter or camera (another expense)
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #25

I had a pullrite auto slider. We boondock a lot and it's much handier to have it slide back automatically than maybe forgetting to slide a manual back. My son just had his brand new Dodge repaired from the 5er hitting it when he backed up slowly. He's also an experienced semi driver . I was not interested in justifying anything like Jim34RL said. I had a 6 1/2 ft bed at the time and wanted an auto slider so got it and now have an 8ft bed on my dually, so don't require a slider.. If you can afford an auto slider, get it, if not get a manual and hope you remember to slide it back.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post

^Ummm.... No....

I've got an '06 Megacab and prior to when I bought my trailer, I consulted a buddy with an '03 Dodge 2500 crew cab. His CC had 2 small dents on either side of the cab from where the previous owned had struck the truck with a 5th wheel.

It was an easy decision to purchase an auto-slider for added cost, knowing that just one contact between truck and trailer would very easily cost more than the added expense. And I knew I needed a slider; just bought an auto-slider because I didn't want to take the chance of forgetting to manually pull a lever while distracted by having a "conversation" with the DW (my other set of eyes who easily distracts me).

I'm not pushing anyone to purchase an auto-slider because I'm trying to justify my purchase; I'm only pointing out the real reason I chose to purchase an auto-slider. While I agree totally with you Jim34RL that a manual slider is adequate for the job, I chose to have my hitch automatically work each and every time without a 2nd thought.

I wouldn't give up my auto-slider for a manual one, no way no how.

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #27

We own a 2013 ram mega cab 4x4 hemi and we tow a 30ft TT Rockwood looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel. And saw on YouTube a dolly for hauling 5th wheels or goose neck trailers. Check tow haul for 5th wheels out on YouTube getting one of these solves all modification problems you may have in order to haul your 5th wheel.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #28

I have a manual slide on a mega cab and my trailer has the corners cut a. 45 deg and I have never needed it. But I'm glad I have it.
I recommend getting one if you have a short bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #29

Also can depend which pin box is used. Our's has a Reese Revolution that extends forward than other pins that allows us to use a non-slider in a shortbed. Granted it is not a Mega-cab.

As someone else mentioned - tape measure

-Craig
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #30
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
The Reese Revolution (sidewinder) pivots 22" behind pin....Pin is locked in hitch head by the 'wedge', I think.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #31

jsut to talk of the 20" tires my duramax has them at 60,000 when it was time to replace the stock tires and a wanted something a little more aggressive and there was not a lot of choices in an e rated tire Goodyear makes two different wrangler series cooper has one and then nitto had one i went with the cooper as i have had good luck in the past

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #32

Big tire issues!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryner View Post
We're considering a new Ram 2500 mega cab 4wd to tow our 5th wheel. All of the ones on the lot have 20" rims and tires rather than the original 18"s. We had to adjust the hitch on our current 2009 Ram 4wd as the camper came into contact with the top of the bed so I am concerned with the 20" tire setup. Has anyone had any experience with the mega 4wd cab? It is a concern or am I worried for nothing?
TIA
Pete
I do not know about a "new" ram truck, but i do know there have been a number of issues with rams and fords with the 20 and 22 inch wheels and TOWING as most if not all these big wheels are not rated to tow with!!
I have read about rams with 20 being "lowered" to more than half the regular weight because of the rims.

So first and foremost you need to check you towing capacities on the truck with the 20's before you even worry about the bed clearance.

Now if the weight comes in good yes you will most likely have issues with these big wheels as it does raise the truck up, so you will need to see if you really want the truck and it can tow what you want (always try and think future needs) how can you raise up your trailer, you can flip axles, use lighting blocks have new springs made.

This has been a very large and growing issue with all the big three as they have changed their bed heights and they will hit, many people have done a large number of things to fix the issue, just do a internet search and you will find out you are not alone.

Hope this helps some and in the end Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #33

I have a 2104 Ram CTD 2500 CC 4X4. I wanted the 20 inch wheels as I had seen both side by side and that was my choice. I have seen nothing that limits towing capacity by wheel size, payload may or may not be affected. I suspect the bed height is the same with either 18 or 20 inch rim. My spare is 18 inch, so that tells me outer diameter is the same as my 20 inch tires. The 18 inch tire will have a bigger sidewall compared to the 20. Some say they ride better, I imagine it would be hard to tell with one inch more of sidewall. Probably more options for replacement tires as stated. Do some research on the diesel truck forums, plenty of posts there about 18 vs 20.
randygk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #34

20" not being able to tow as much as 18" is wrong. Got to Fords website and then check out the ratings for tires on any tire site.
20" tires are rated as high or higher for load as 18".
As an example Ram uses 285/60/20 and 275/70/18. Fords the same probably.
the 20" is 33.4" high and the 18" is 33.2" high. Both have 3640lbs load rating @80psi.

Biggest issue is replacement cost. Depends on what tire but Tire rack has Michelin Defenders LTX M/S 18" for $219 and 20" for $282. For the price of 3 20" you get 4 18". The cost of bling I guess.
The old school thought that 20" are inferior is, well, old school. The 20" tires on trucks are not the same as the 20" stuff on some kids Honda Civic.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing