Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
RAM Replaced My 5.7 Hemi w/96K Miles Under Powertrain Warranty!

We wanted to jump into camping while our kids are still young but the upfront costs of having to buy a TV & TT in the same year limited our choices to used gear. In 2013 I purchased a used 2011 Ram 2500 ST CC w/5.7 Hemi & fairly high miles for $14K to serve as my daily driver & future TV. Last spring we found a great deal on a lightly used 2011 PrimeTime Tracer 3150. Our combined payments are less than $400/month, so we will be able to pay everything off much faster & still have more room in our budget for camping... We camped for over 30 days this summer & are hooked!

The RAM is also my daily driver.. Unfortunately this Fall my 5.7 Hemi dropped a valve while driving to a work-related meeting. (No ticking sound to provide a warning...) Apparently pieces dropped into the cylinder which caused the cylinder to jam, the rod to bend, and subsequent head & block damage. (Eventually I had a chance to look at the piston & cylinder damage & they were both heavily scored...)

I wasn't towing or hauling a load at the time - just driving up a steep hill into a parking lot. Without warning the engine went from running smooth to sounding like it exploded inside. My heart sank because I knew right-away it was a major, expensive, event. I tried to shut-off the engine ASAP & coast into a safe parking spot. As I was shifting to neutral, etc. the engine seized. All I could see was dollar signs. It was a sad, sad, day...

At 96K miles, as the 2nd owner with no maintenance records available from the previous owner (even on CarFax, etc.), the dealership I purchased the truck from wasn't optimistic that Ram would cover it under their Powertrain Warranty. They said that Ram wanted them to obtain records from the previous owner, yada, yada...

So I had it towed to another dealer, the biggest RAM "superstore" dealer on the west side of Akron... (Fortunately, just after buying it elsewhere, I paid top dollar to have this dealership replace the tranny fluid & rear differential oil, etc. so they had my truck in their system...) Although they were not totally optimistic, they said it shouldn't be my responsibility to prove what a previous owner did or didn't do. All I should be responsible for was the maintenance performed while I was owner...

A few days later they called back & stated that RAM approved an engine replacement & that I would receive a newly rebuilt engine with a 3 year warranty for no charge! The work has been completed now & my new Hemi runs fine. I am a happy camper again! PTL!

2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Congrats! Glad to hear they are honoring warranties... since I just bought one in July. PTL is spot on!

Enjoy! You're building memories with your kids that will last a life time.
J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

power, warranty