Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Harley Man!

Ram Truck Tow Rating Question

Hello from Eastern NC. I have a tow rating question regarding my Ram pick up. Here is what I have for a truck: 2011 2500 LARAMIE MEGA CAB 4X4 6'4" BOX
6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 6.7L Turbo Cummins Diesel with a 3.73 rear axle ratio.

I've been trying to determine what this trucks max towing capacity is for a 5th wheel (and also pay load capacity for the 5th wheel hitch). My wife and I would like to trade up from our toy hauler travel trailer to either a 5th wheel toy hauler or just a 5th wheel rv.

Thank you.
CFGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/..._HD_Towing.pdf

Your payload is 1930lbs
12,200 towing.
Your shipped payload is on the door sticker.

Your downfall is the Mega cab configuration.

To find you total payload available you need to load the truck up as you're camping and go weigh it. Subtract that from the trucks GVW which is 9600lbs.

Some guys use the trucks RAWR of 6010lbs for figuring payload. I'm not endorsing that even though that's what I do.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Harley Man!

Thank you goduc. That's what I read too, but I was having some trouble digesting that low of a tow rating.... Ugh.

I do love the truck and it's been awesome for me so far. (I just purchased it in November.)

Here is another question, and I may be nuts for considering this.... how would I go about having it increased to a 4.10 and what might I expect that to cost?
CFGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Last time I checked on an 08 F150 it was $750-800 per axle. They said sometimes it goes real easy and sometimes it takes a little more to dial it in. Thus the diff in price.
2500 gears are bigger so more money I'm sure.
I have a Ram 2500 St CC LB. Same CTD 3.73. My payload is only 2176lbs per door sticker. Our trucks are the same as a 3500. Only difference is the rear spring pack. Theoretically you can add bags or such for increased payload and have a 3500 with 3.73's. The 3500 has a tow rating of 13450. Not much of an increase but still more. Some guys will say no to adding bags, others use the RAWR. The killer is the 3.73s. I don't think I would part with $1500-1600 for gears as you'll need to add bags or such and now you're at $2000+/-. I think I'd just trade/sell and get the real deal at that point. But that's just me.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train

There was a question about this on another forum. The OP of that thread actually contacted Ram Trucks and ask, because the GAWR were much higher than the GVWR. Now, this is third hand, and take it with a grain of salt, but he said that they GVWR the truck at 10,000 for a reason and it wasn't what it can handle. I believe it was for registration and licensing purposes of businesses. Over 10k would require a different license to drive it commercially. Add up you Front and Rear axle ratings, and look at your GVW. There is a HUGE difference.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #6

Exactly. My 12 is 5500+6000=11,500.
You have to wonder why even have RAWR listed as you usually reach the GVW before the RAWR is reached. Our pin is 1800lbs and with the wife and I in the truck and maybe 150lbs of extras we're at 9800lbs. 200lb over the GVW but 1100lbs under the RAWR.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

IDK how heavy a mega cab sits on it's rear axle but if you go with the rear axle rating like I do watch your tire capacities. They are not much more than the axle. My neighbor pulls a 40' Sierra bunk house with with his 08 mega cab. He's been doing it for the past 5 years.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

I'll jump on the question end of the bandwagon- so why doesn't Ram put the 4.10 gear ratio on their SRW 3500s? I'm bummed (see my thread on the subject) that the 3500 drops from ~28K in the DRW (thanks to the 4.10) to ~17K SRW (no 4.10 option.)
wrp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Yes it is funny because I have a 06 mega srw with 3:73 and my tow rating and payload numbers are higher than the 2010-2012 3500 srw megas.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
Always Learning

For some reason, the 2012 and a few years before MegaCabs had absurdly low payload capacities. I don't buy the argument that the cab weight is the difference as the crew cab is almost as big and if you have an 8' bed with the crew cab, you're still similar in dry weights. I almost feel like they have to have different springs or suspension or something to justify the lowness. Maybe they assume that the MegaCabs are going to be people movers and not towing. But I don't know.

If you look at the Ram Body Builder guide, you'll see that they aren't right at the 10,000 GVWR so I don't think it's the whole commercial truck/do not exceed 10k registration thing.

In model year 2013, the MegaCab numbers are back up like they should be. My only issue now is that I really like having a 8' bed and you can't get that with the MegaCab. If Ram every introduced their long hauler truck like they prototyped, I'm betting it would be a niche hit. It was a MegaCab, 8' bed, oversize fuel tank, auxiliary tank, air suspension and I think even had air ride seats. Would be expensive, but a sweet freaking truck.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #11

First off Green adding air bags to rear of your truck will NOT increase your GVW or payload or anything....they do nothing except make the tow vehicle ride level. Anyone who tells you otherwise is someone to run away from and I have air bags in my truck. Yes I love them.
Increasing your rear end ratio to 4.10 would also be requiring the front dif to be changed also to the same ratio. This might require new springs or coils depending on the configuration of your truck and the upgrade. 4.10 gears are going to increase your fuel consumption, 3.73 gears are an all around nice set for both average fuel and pulling ratio. Upgrading to 4.10 might also require some engine work or the injectors to compensate for change in gears, I would suggest asking your local shop and see what they say.
If your upgrading you might want to consider duallys if your doing all that work however that would mean a different box and wheels all around. Plus other things.
One of the new guidelines I am hearing at our local RV dealers is that 1/4 of the 5th wheel or trailer weight should be considered as payload, ie: 5th wheel weighs 20,000lbs 1/4 is 5,000lbs of payload your truck needs to be able to haul...note I said guidelines..! Guidelines have a habit of becoming law.....at least up here.
Having all that to think about my next question/concern is...you got that big rig rolling, can your truck safely stop it..?
All things to think about, in the end, it your decision on what to do. I hope that helps you out, my post is not meant to be judging just things to consider..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck