Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
I plan to do similar this year. But I'm too CHEAP to buy that scale
Just bought a new bathroom scale and will use the old one with a lever setup for tongue weights. Got to be extra careful. It appears they no longer make those all metal spring scales. They are all digital with GLASS tops. I'll have to use a plywood sheet for a base on the scaling rig.
Tried that with a scale and it maxed out. Gonna break down and by the tongue scale for 125
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #22

How do you guys measure ur rvs without going to the scale. There are no scales near me and would most likely have to pay 2 tolls 1 way to even get to one.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #23
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Why not just do it right and take it to a certified scale and get the whole thing weighed the right way.

Those are numbers that you can believe...

Bathroom scales...yeah...right!

I have the Sherline 5,000lb scale and can use it to weigh each wheel as well as the hitch. You can't do that at a Cat scale. I wanted to know if we were over loaded or just heavy on one side of the 5th wheel, with the kitchen appliances all on the one side. Found out the weights on each wheel was all within 70lb. and the hitch was right at 20%.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
How do you guys measure ur rvs without going to the scale. There are no scales near me and would most likely have to pay 2 tolls 1 way to even get to one.
Did you try going to the CAT website and using their locations search? Might be one you aren't aware of.
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
Tried that with a scale and it maxed out. Gonna break down and by the tongue scale for 125
Depends on your anticipated weight zone and how long your lever is. Was it Archimedes that said,"Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world." ?

However, I am mighty tempted to get that tongue weight scale or the Haulgauge, to to keep things simple. I can always use the extra home scale in the TT for weighing individual items
Yes, I am that anal about weight control for my TT because of previously exceeding various weight ratings on this TT.
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Did you try going to the CAT website and using their locations search? Might be one you aren't aware of.
Yeah nothing near me without going over a bridge and paying tolls. Zip code 11554.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Nearest ones to me are 50 or 65 miles away.
So not convenient.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #28
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

How about next time when you guys are towing?

After all...chances are you'll pass more than one scale and you'll also be loaded up for camping!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #29

I guess I'm lucky...

Here in Yuma there are at least three certified scales that I know of within five miles of my home...one of them about 300 yards from here!

Two of them are major truck stops...
Old 01-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall frog View Post
I have the Sherline 5,000lb scale and can use it to weigh each wheel as well as the hitch. You can't do that at a Cat scale. I wanted to know if we were over loaded or just heavy on one side of the 5th wheel, with the kitchen appliances all on the one side. Found out the weights on each wheel was all within 70lb. and the hitch was right at 20%.

I bought the same scale for the same reason as you. Great to check the weight on each wheel.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #31

Quote:
How about next time when you guys are towing?

After all...chances are you'll pass more than one scale and you'll also be loaded up for camping!
When you weigh yourself, do you wait until you are going by your doctor's office or do you just jump on a scale at home?

Personally, I like the convenience of weighing my tongue in my driveway. It takes about 10 minutes.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
When you weigh yourself, do you wait until you are going by your doctor's office or do you just jump on a scale at home?

Personally, I like the convenience of weighing my tongue in my driveway. It takes about 10 minutes.

[emoji23]
Old 01-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #33

I have a Sherline scale (5,000 pound capacity) for $75. If it can get into a priority mail box shipping would be fairly cheap. Will check.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I have a Sherline scale (5,000 pound capacity) for $75. If it can get into a priority mail box shipping would be fairly cheap. Will check.
Please check your PMs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #35

Always an excuse for anything around here...
Old 01-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Always an excuse for anything around here...
Not sure what you're being critical of. The OP started this thread about using a Sherline scale for determining tongue weight.
What "excuse" are you referring to?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #37

I was talking about those making excuses about scales being too far away and not being able to stop by a truck stop or certified scale while they have their RV hooked up while on a camping trip.

Takes all of 15 minutes and there would be no guessing games as to the numbers!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not sure what you're being critical of. The OP started this thread about using a Sherline scale for determining tongue weight.
What "excuse" are you referring to?
I was trying to figure that out myself. The Sherline scale is completely accurate and way easier than going to a CAT scale to measure tongue weight. We are not even going to discuss the fact that if you go to a CAT scale, you need to disconnect your trailer to figure out the tongue weight. Good grief!

And I guess it's just me...when I leave for a camping trip, I don't really want to divert to a scale on the way and I don't want to disconnect my trailer
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #39
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I was trying to figure that out myself. The Sherline scale is completely accurate and way easier than going to a CAT scale to measure tongue weight. We are not even going to discuss the fact that if you go to a CAT scale, you need to disconnect your trailer to figure out the tongue weight. Good grief!

And I guess it's just me...when I leave for a camping trip, I don't really want to divert to a scale on the way and I don't want to disconnect my trailer
X2 for above, and if you want to make changes it's a real PITA to do it at a truck stop. I don't think you can get weights on EACH side to know if you are heavy on one side verse the other.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 AM   #40

Guys its like using the wrong math equation. Even when doing the equation correctly you are going to get the wrong answer.

Lzerarc asked; How is tongue weight figured?

All 5 half ton truck Mfgs recommend using a WDH (weight distribution hitch) when trailers exceed 5k. Why? To insure the capability of a safe stable platform to tow to their rated specs. Most people on a TT (Travel Trailer) forum asking about tongue weight (TW) have a TT that is over 5k wet IE loaded & camp ready. Isn't that about everyone who responded here. So if you are going to use a WDH then using a Sherline scale to give you your TW is going to give you the wrong answer as to actual legal as seen on a scale TW. And if you are using the Sherline on a TT that you are going to use a WDH with to determine whether your current trailer TW takes you over your GVWR its again going to give you the wrong answer.

Let me explain when using a WDH TW stops being static (as would be seen TT only on a Sherline scale) and becomes dynamic. In this case dynamic means spread between the TV (tow vehicle) axles and the TT axles such as is seen on a drive on scale and easiest or best seen on a triple or CAT scale where you can see both the TV axles & TT axles separately and at the same time.

A CAT, state line, or other truck stop triple scale weighs all three axles steer, drive, & TT separately and at the same time. Because of this the triple scale sees what your eyes and or even measurements cannot. Measurements are good when using a WDH with TV & TT they often get you in the range so to speak and generally that is all you need. Except in the case that you are trying to either make your TV & TT combined rig as safe and stable as is physically possible and or max out the legal specs for your TV or both. Thing is especially with a half ton truck or smaller TV with the larger more common size TTs of today this ends up being a lot of us.

Many people assume TW is fixed. Like if a TT Mfg has a spec that says the dry TW is X that TW will always be X plus more from loading the TT. This is not the case when using a WDH. The force put on by the WDH divides the TW from what would be seen on the drive axle to the TV steer axle and the TT axles. In the case of what weight goes back to the TT axles it subtracts from what is seen legally and on the scales as TW.

What many people don't realize is that with WDH adjustments combined with where you put supplies in the TT and to a lesser degree in the TV you can adjust or set your TW. At least to a point. In fact through adjustments a loaded TT can have more or less TW than the TT Mfg dry TW spec. Still normally TW even with a WDH will be more than the Mfg dry spec and in the case of a non WDH sometimes a lot more.

So back to how is TW figured. When using a WDH TW is properly legally and quite simply calculated as follows; Subtract unloaded TVs combined axle weight from the loaded TV axle weight.

Sorry I cannot help it that you cannot do that in your driveway. You may be able to use the local grain elevator or scrapyard scale however its only one scale not three and will take more than 3 passes to get all information and since you can't do all axles at the same time it leaves more margin for error. Still it can be done and would likely be inexpensive.

As example if loaded TV axle weights total 7k and unloaded axle weight is 6k then your TW is 1,000 pounds.

Then simply divide the TW into the gross trailer weight for the TW%.

As example if TT has a wet gross weight of 8k take the 1,000 TW divide it into the 8k for a TW percentage of 12.5%.

One other noteworthy thing is that the typical box TT has much more aerodynamic drag and a higher center of gravity than other trailers because of this the common minimum 10% TW is sometimes shy of what is required to keep the trailer from being pushed side to side by the wind at highway speed (65) or when the back of your TT is sucked in and pushed away by the bow wave of a passing semi and it makes the TT want to wiggle and wonder separate from the TV and start trailer sway. In my experience 12% is a more safe & practical minimum to adjust toward when setting up your TT. The top of the common 10 to 15% recommended TW range is still fine should you have plenty of available room before hitting your TVs GVWR.

CAT does have a free app that you can download with locator and GPS directions. Somewhere in your camping travels I bet you can find one or other truck stop scales and perhaps some of the not as busy state line scales may let you take a pass or after hours but in either case you would have to write down the numbers yourself as I don't know of any that print a slip. You can search the three pass method as it gives you everything you need to know. Cost is often around $12 initial and $2 per additional weigh so for $20 you can take your family camping rig from as bad as over weight & the proverbial white knuckle ride to in spec weight, safe and stable merely by redistributing the weight. Plus its normally a one time thing once you have it right unless you change TVs TT or dramatically change your loading.

When it comes to estimating TW as to how a given TT might affect your TVs GVW (gross vehicle weight) Such as when you might purchase or move a TT prior to having access to a scale. Or more specifically to see if a particular TT should be via specs compatible with your TV. Other or in addition to just comparing the max tow rating to the TT's GVWR.

First safest estimate and worst case scenario practically for TW & legally for TT weight is to multiply 15% of the TTs GVWR. Add that to your trucks weight towards its GVWR. Second method is to add 1,000 pounds to the dry weight as the best average "wet" estimate and multiply that times the 12% you would want to set it up towards. Now you have the practical low TW estimate and the worst case scenario TW to compare to your truck weight and GVWR.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TV’s max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight, tongue weight