Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #81
Oklahoma Proud

I've seen too many problems from all big 3, and they wernt from people draggin' them. I believe what we use them for is concidered severe duty, and many are pushing their limits as it is.
These vehicles are highly tuned factory, with very minute tolerances allowed to run at optimal conditions- I've seen and experianced even something as little as a AFE intake causing a lot of problems. After much trouble shooting and testing- returned to stock and nary a problem for 2 years.

But ignorance is bliss- till there's a problem.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #82
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I've seen too many problems from all big 3, and they wernt from people draggin' them. I believe what we use them for is concidered severe duty, and many are pushing their limits as it is.
These vehicles are highly tuned factory, with very minute tolerances allowed to run at optimal conditions- I've seen and experianced even something as little as a AFE intake causing a lot of problems. After much trouble shooting and testing- returned to stock and nary a problem for 2 years.

But ignorance is bliss- till there's a problem.
Good info from someone in the inside...Thanks!

Old 01-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #83
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

200000 miles on my 6.0 when I traded it and not one drivetrain issue.
I bought it brand new and changed the oil when the gm "change" oil light came on and change tranny fluid once a year after 100000 miles.

List of components while I owned it.
Rear wheel seal
Front rotors
One front wheel bearing
Front pads
Knock sensors
Plugs
Tires

Used no oil between oil changes.

Turbs
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I think the "broke in " mileage difference is more wishfulness than reality. I have had several new trucks and there was little to no difference from day one till 50k four years later.
-some people trying to sell 180,000+ mile trucks will tell you they are "just getting broke in" of course this is bs.

Ps. Mileage differences you are seeing between people on here maybe beacause if 2wd or 4wd
Possibly since mine is 4wd. I would like to say I may have gotten 7-9 in my Yukon, so I ain't complaining just stating that I "wish" I was getting better compared to others towing heavier 5er's. Theory (which is not always correct) would think that the 5er would be taller thus more air resistance resulting in lower mpg.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #85
Oklahoma Proud

Just to clarify I was refering to diesels.
-I don't think you could hurt a gas engine like you can a diesel from the tuning and little addons (which percentage wise for gas are rather low on performance), usually gas engines require more "work" to get bigger performance gains. Ie. turbo/supercharger, cams, pistons, injectors, intake manifolds and such.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #86

You answered your own question. If you are pulling a heavier trailer the Diesel may be the better way to go......lighter trailer gas is fine but personal preference is more of it.....
Diesel trucks Oil changes cost more but you don't have to do it as often, fuel filters should be changed more often & are usually higher...... I'm not sure about the poster saving they added fuel additives to every tank... I'm not sure why I have owned 3 diesel trucks & rarely use fuel additives. (I can understand if they live in a colder climate). But if something major goes wrong the deisel is much more costly.
Yes fuel cost is more but again the diesel gets better economy......no cut & dry answer just each situation is different.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #87
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
You answered your own question. If you are pulling a heavier trailer the Diesel may be the better way to go......lighter trailer gas is fine but personal preference is more of it.....
Diesel trucks Oil changes cost more but you don't have to do it as often, fuel filters should be changed more often & are usually higher...... I'm not sure about the poster saving they added fuel additives to every tank... I'm not sure why I have owned 3 diesel trucks & rarely use fuel additives. (I can understand if they live in a colder climate). But if something major goes wrong the deisel is much more costly.
Yes fuel cost is more but again the diesel gets better economy......no cut & dry answer just each situation is different.
Ford has been known to weasel out of some warranty claims if owners haven't been running Cetane booster fuel supplements w/ every tank of fuel. This has mostly been true on the 6.7 engines but I'm not chancing it while in still running some warranty.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #88

Reading through some of the posts here reminds me of the old saying that the two things a man will lie about are the size of the fish and his gas mileage, lol. My 08 F-250 6.4 diesel gets 16.5 unloaded and 9.5 pulling my 40 foot Blue Ridge. Not what I had hoped for with a diesel, but I guess it could be worse.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
-larger down pipe & intercooler pipes
-egr delete
-efi program tuning for onboard ecm
-cold air intake kit
-straight pipe exhaust
-new, larger exhaust from turbo to outlet
-water meth injection system

To name a few

PS-this don't work for gassers!
all of these work because I have them all even a airdog lift pump, transgo shift kit, better tq converter, gauges, syn fluids. looking at the water meth kit but my temps are so low towing I have no need, but the best MPG gains are 245 tires and aired to max pressure and no lift

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #90
Camper Less Camping

Nice...jevanb!