Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #1

Rear end temp

A lot of posts on trans temp but what about rear end temp. anybody have any numbers or how to get them.I sure wish my 05 silverado had a DIC display. The only way i can get trans temp is lay on the ground and shoot the pan with my thermal gun . The same with the rear end. I have been thinking about buying a finned alum cover plate that will increase oil cap. and cooling .I checked it today and it was 110 degrees but I was not towing my trailer .
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Incheon, S. Korea

You can get a scanguage and hook it up to your car. It'll give you just about any temp or pressure you want, but not the rear end temp. scangauge.com/
I think you could thread a tranny temp sensor into the finned aluminum read end cover.
You may have to weld in a nipple, but that wouldn't be hard to have done.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Note on a scan gauge. I have one on my 2008 Hummer H3 with the 3.7L engine and it does read the trans temps; however on 2008 (or later) H3 with the 5.3L engine it does NOT read a trans temp. And they both use the same transmission. So, before going with a scan gague, check with the techs at scan gauge to make sure it can read the trans temps; or go onto a silverado forum and ask around. (Regardless of what their documentation says since it did say that the trans temps could be read on all 2008 H3s, and that was incorrect. Not sure if they have updated online or not.)

Also, on the GMT900 (2008-2013) trucks I know you can update a cluster to install one with the DIC; not sure on the GMT800 which is your model. Again, suggest a good silverado site (silveradosierra.com) is a good one. A lot of knowledge there on what works and does not work on a Silverado.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

There's a waaaay easier method. Grab your Android smartphone, go to the Play Store and download Torque Pro (there's a free version to check out). You will then need to go on Amazon and order Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive for about $23. It is an OBDII Bluetooth adaptor that talks to the Torque app. The Torque app is COMPLETELY customizable, you just need to find the action you would like to monitor.

You can monitor large items like trans temp, acceleration, fuel pressure, oil temp, boost, etc.. all the way down to fuel injector voltage and O2 voltage and temps. There's hundreds of values you can choose to monitor. It truly is an invaluable tool for towing!

Any questions, feel free to ask!
BiigDaddy

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
There's a waaaay easier method. Grab your Android smartphone, go to the Play Store and download Torque Pro (there's a free version to check out). You will then need to go on Amazon and order Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive for about $23. It is an OBDII Bluetooth adaptor that talks to the Torque app. The Torque app is COMPLETELY customizable, you just need to find the action you would like to monitor.

You can monitor large items like trans temp, acceleration, fuel pressure, oil temp, boost, etc.. all the way down to fuel injector voltage and O2 voltage and temps. There's hundreds of values you can choose to monitor. It truly is an invaluable tool for towing!

BiigDaddy
Well not waaaaay eaiser.
I have the aboved mentioned for my 08 duramax.
Boost not supported
Trans temp not supported

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #6

The only true way to get your rear end temp will be either drill and tap a port in the stock cover to put a sender in, or I believe some aftermarket covers will have a port already installed (for draining) that will work for a sender...

An infrared thermometer isn't a real good judge of the internal temperature as you have too many variables. IE wind dissipating heat off the metal, axle shafts and housing absorbing heat...

It will give you a general idea as to what the temp is and give you a baseline to monitor whether things are getting worse than what you have seen before or not though...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Turbs, you are right in the fact that some vehicles will not report everything but I personally have had great luck with the set up for both of my tow vehicles. It could potentially be a $23 gamble for someone, though...

SE Michigan
Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Turbs, you are right in the fact that some vehicles will not report everything but I personally have had great luck with the set up for both of my tow vehicles. It could potentially be a $23 gamble for someone, though...
Agreed I enjoy tinkering with mine.
And worth the money alone for codes and code lookup.

I have two and paid just north of 12.00 on ebay.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Camper Less Camping

Quote:

BiigDaddy

X2

Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like what I want is possible.I guess I'll start with a silverado site .Scan guage looks good , I don't own a smart phone and I would just as soon throw my cell away as nothing but work and grief is all I get on it. Mike
Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

BiigDaddy - thanks for the tip on the bluetooth OBD2! It's ordered.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #12

Hey not a problem Baron! I'm sure you'll enjoy playing with it, as it really is a cool little device and app

Cheers!

SE Michigan
Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fyi buy the paid version app so you can download custom back grounds

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #14

Mike:

I have an 01 Dodge cummins dually with 185K miles on it. I installed a Maghytec finned cover on my rear end. It now has a 2 gal capacity instead of 1 gal. it also has a port already built in for a temp sensor. I have not, but am going to install a temp guage on my A pillar for both rear end and tranny. I also use Redline synthetic oil in all my axles and that also helps with higher temps. I used to change the rear end oil every 15K because it started changing color from the heat. With the synethic, I now change it every 50K and it still looks and feels like new oil.

My truck has hauled a trailer its entire life. frequent oil changes really help, or high quality synthetics really keep them in good condition.

Jon
B&W hitch
2013 Columbus Palomino 295RL
Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #15

Just a note....05 Silverados were shipped with SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant from the factory. I have used Mobil in all my Hummers/Jeeps/etc., with no problems.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Just a note....05 Silverados were shipped with SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant from the factory. I have used Mobil in all my Hummers/Jeeps/etc., with no problems.
X2
I've always used gm or BG, and both are synthetic. Honestly never heard of any real problems with GM diffs, or any of the big 3. An occasional axle seal and rear cover fluid leaks is most I've really seen.
Nissan has had tons of axle issues on thier titan earlier on, I think they got that hammered out.
OP. I wouldnt realy worry to much about the axle, tranny and coolant temps are going to be more of an issue than a diff.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
X2
I've always used gm or BG, and both are synthetic. Honestly never heard of any real problems with GM diffs, or any of the big 3. An occasional axle seal and rear cover fluid leaks is most I've really seen.
Nissan has had tons of axle issues on thier titan earlier on, I think they got that hammered out.
OP. I wouldnt realy worry to much about the axle, tranny and coolant temps are going to be more of an issue than a diff.
What's with gm pimping BG anyways? Jus wondering.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
What's with gm pimping BG anyways? Jus wondering.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
I dunno, I just ask for GL4 or GL5 and BG is what I've been given for the past 5 years or so.
Maybe something to do with '08?

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #19

More likely a dealer "thing." GM gives a required spec (and of course their own part number for their own fluid), but a dealer can use anything they want so long as the fluid meets the spec.

In my 2008 Hummer and 2013 Silverado, there is no mention of a service requirement for the rear (or front) diffs. So GM figures it should last up to and past 100K. I did my Hummer at 40K miles but it is basically used as a rock crawler as well as a sometime TV, and the fluid looked ok (not a scientific statement at all) and there was no note of any metal. In fact, it was awful clean for 40K diff fluid. My Silverado has only 10K and I will never have it long enough to need a rear diff change.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #20

Jon

Thanks, its good to know about the maghytec cover,increased capacity and ports. The redline synthetic oil realy sounds good. I had my gears changed from 3:42 to 4:10 when I bought my forest river trailer and I hope the guy put synthetic oil in. I know he did put an additive in for the posi unit. Mike