Old 03-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Rear hitch for 5th wheels

I just purchased a 2006 Cherokee 285B+ fifth wheel camper, and am going to put a rear reciever hitch on it. My old fifth wheel had a rear hitch on it that was only mounted at the very end of the frame and worked well. I am towing a t-trailer with a sandrail on it, total weight 1500-1800 lbs, and tongue weight between 150-200 lbs. I am curious if anyone has done this with a cherokee fifth wheel, or should I mount the hitch heavier and further up in the frame? Basically are the frame rails strong enough to handle this load and potentially a 5000 lb load in the future? Also how do the Wildcats compare quality wise to a Cherokee??

Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wouldn't do it at all if it was me!

Newer frames way to light weight!

Good luck if you do. I know I will not be following you!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

If you are talking about putting a hitch receiver on the trailer, the frames are not designed for it and will definitely not support loads like you are suggesting.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #4

Nope would not pull anything heavy with it. My new 5th wheel came with a hitch for a bicycle rack, but has a sticker warning of no more than 200lbs...
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Nope would not pull anything heavy with it. My new 5th wheel came with a hitch for a bicycle rack, but has a sticker warning of no more than 200lbs...

mine has a fold down rack on the back and has a 450 limit .
Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #6

The bicycle rack hitches are mounted to the bumper of the camper. I doubt I would even put the cooler in one of those hitches. I am talking about a custom built hitch mounted to the frame rails themselves. This hitch will start its attachment close to the axles and be mounted in multiple points back to the rear where the reciever is located. My older fifth wheel was a 97 terry and it had some 4" channel iron bolted to the frame at the rear and the had the reciever welded to the bottom of the channel iron with some 1/4" straps bolted to the sides of the channels for reinforcements. I made several 150 mile trips towing a 5k enclosed trailer without any issues. This new hitch will be mounted accross a larger area for equal load to the frame instead of just pulling at the rear. I apologize for opening this can of worms I was just seeing if anyone else on here had done it. Thanks for all the replies and I will post some pics when I am done.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman660r View Post
The bicycle rack hitches are mounted to the bumper of the camper. I doubt I would even put the cooler in one of those hitches. I am talking about a custom built hitch mounted to the frame rails themselves. This hitch will start its attachment close to the axles and be mounted in multiple points back to the rear where the reciever is located. My older fifth wheel was a 97 terry and it had some 4" channel iron bolted to the frame at the rear and the had the reciever welded to the bottom of the channel iron with some 1/4" straps bolted to the sides of the channels for reinforcements. I made several 150 mile trips towing a 5k enclosed trailer without any issues. This new hitch will be mounted accross a larger area for equal load to the frame instead of just pulling at the rear. I apologize for opening this can of worms I was just seeing if anyone else on here had done it. Thanks for all the replies and I will post some pics when I am done.

sorry but my rack is most certainly mounted to the frame . not the bumper .
I had a 95 terry and the frame was much much heavier then these newer ones . YOU do what you want you wanted advice and mine is dont do it .

besides moving your mounting point/s forward only adds more weight and moves the stress point further forward .

and if you do a search on pin box fails on the forum I bet you think twice and those campers are not pulling another 5k .

or here >>>>>> Cracks in 5th wheel pin box to frame

Tags
5th wheel