Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
Jfr

Question Rear Shock Suggestions 2016 RAM 1500 Sagging

Hello All,
I have been doing searches on shocks the past few days and thought I would get your suggestion. I have a 2016 RAM 4x4 5.7 hemi, towing capacity 8130 lbs. I am towing a 31' 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DBH 5700 lbs Dry, 750 lb tongue, with Reese 49903 WD and sway. We really don't load much when on the road. Camp Chairs, Food, Rugs, Tool box, planks for leveling and clothes.
Since last October we have been out 7 times and I have noticed more sag. I brought the WD chains up to the recommended length, 5 links. Still sagging, and I have noticed alot more bounce since the beggining of the season. I would like to replace the rear shocks with a heavy duty shock or adjustable shock.

Would you be able to give me some recommendations. Done research on the Rancho RS9000XL, Monroe Air and others but not sure what is the best.

Sorry so long but wanted to give you all the specs.

Thank You in advance! John
Jfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #2

Shocks don't help with sagging.

I've used adjustable Ranchos on the rear of my '02 1500 Dodge and liked them for hauling/towing. I had them on about 3 when empty, and dialed them right up when I had the quad in the truck or trailer hooked up.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
Jfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Shocks don't help with sagging.

I've used adjustable Ranchos on the rear of my '02 1500 Dodge and liked them for hauling/towing. I had them on about 3 when empty, and dialed them right up when I had the quad in the truck or trailer hooked up.
Thank you. Would you say new shocks would help with the bouncing? Did not seem to bounce as much earlier in the year, and we are loading it the same way each time.

Thanks again!
Old 09-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfr View Post
Thank you. Would you say new shocks would help with the bouncing? Did not seem to bounce as much earlier in the year, and we are loading it the same way each time.

Thanks again!
Definitely. Air bags would help with the sagging especially, but also some of the bouncing.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
Jfr

I keep coming back to the Rancho I like the idea of being able to adjust when needed.

I appreciate the feed back!

John
Old 09-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Hello All,
I have been doing searches on shocks the past few days and thought I would get your suggestion. I have a 2016 RAM 4x4 5.7 hemi, towing capacity 8130 lbs. I am towing a 31' 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DBH 5700 lbs Dry, 750 lb tongue, with Reese 49903 WD and sway. We really don't load much when on the road. Camp Chairs, Food, Rugs, Tool box, planks for leveling and clothes.
Since last October we have been out 7 times and I have noticed more sag. I brought the WD chains up to the recommended length, 5 links. Still sagging, and I have noticed alot more bounce since the beggining of the season. I would like to replace the rear shocks with a heavy duty shock or adjustable shock.

Would you be able to give me some recommendations. Done research on the Rancho RS9000XL, Monroe Air and others but not sure what is the best.

Shocks have zero ability to provide lift. They are shock absorbers, thus they resist motion using a ported piston in a viscous fluid (oil). Shocks simply control the axle motion by fighting the desire to rebound and "bounce" or "bob" up and down. They stabilize the axle following your wheel striking an irregularity. They resist harder the faster and the more they are forced to move. A small/slow move is allowed more freely than a sharp/long hit.

Springs (leaf, coil or air) provide all lift. Your sag means that your weight dist hitch spring bars are fatigued or the Ram trucks rear coil springs are fatigued. Changing coil springs is a pretty quick and simple process on the Ram.

Jack up and place jack stands on frame so that the tires are off of the ground.
Place floor jack under center of rear differential and slightly raise axle from the hanging position.
Remove wheels and calipers, tie calipers up.
Remove lower shock bolts.
Jack axle up until your getting light on the frame jack stands.
Loosen all 8 control arm bolts to release the pre-load on the bushings.
Lower floor jack and the axle will now rotate all the way to the ground and the coils will all but fall out.
Place new coil in and jack that side until the coil seats into the top rubber pad and frame mount. Block this side where it is, or close enough that you do not allow the spring to fall back out.
Go to the other side and do the same and block it up enough to hold the spring in place.
Remove the jack and go back to the center differential and jack the entire axle up, inspect the springs/seats as you apply load. Adjust if needed.

This next part is the critical part!
Jack up until you can wiggle the jack stands. Not a big gap, just enough to get motion.
You now have the control bushings at the neutral position for normal ride height, go around and torque all 8 bolts/nuts to 90 FT/LBS.
You must tighten these bolts at the neutral position, otherwise you apply bind to the bushings and they will fail very rapidly, and they will effect the ride quality.
Untie the calipers and put them back on the brackets.
Replace the wheels/tires.
Remove the jack stands from under the frame by jacking the differential some more, and lower the tires to the ground.
After around 500 miles, go check all 8 control arm bolts/nuts for torque.

This should take you around... 2 hours in a garage at home. Less if you have been there and done that. More if you stop to drink beer after each step.

Something like this would be your huckleberry, but it's not your only option.
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...ducts_id=10187

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #7

What Larry said above. SD makes several different springs for Rams, and I use the 1223v variable rate springs on my 2017 reg cab long bed, along with a Hellwig sway bar on the rear and Bilstein 4600 series shocks all around. Tows my 5200 lb Shamrock hybrid beautifully and we have traveled 5000 miles this year.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Jfr

Thank you so much Larry! I appreciate you taking the time with your instructions. I have not replaced springs before but the info is very valuable. It would be hard not to have a few beers while tackling that job. And, what you said about shocks makes alot of sense.

Thanks Again!
John
Old 09-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
Jfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
What Larry said above. SD makes several different springs for Rams, and I use the 1223v variable rate springs on my 2017 reg cab long bed, along with a Hellwig sway bar on the rear and Bilstein 4600 series shocks all around. Tows my 5200 lb Shamrock hybrid beautifully and we have traveled 5000 miles this year.
I appreciate the suggestions on the springs and shocks.

Thank you!
John
Old 09-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #10

once upon a time I had the maxi-van Dodge 3500. The van sat rather low but when I put 650+ pounds on the rear it sagged even more, preventing me from not scrapeing the pavement on even the lowest gas station driveway with the hitch.. I first tried Firestone 5000 airbags and had them installed for me for about $75. Included with the kit were two air valves I had brought to the rear bumper. This setup was about $250 about 4-5 years ago thru amazon. I pumped up the bags for towing which raised the rear and cut down on bounce. Without the trailer though it was a rough ride so I released the air in the bags and all was stock again.

My opinion is that this is a good place to start for not allot of money.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
Jfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
once upon a time I had the maxi-van Dodge 3500. The van sat rather low but when I put 650+ pounds on the rear it sagged even more, preventing me from not scrapeing the pavement on even the lowest gas station driveway with the hitch.. I first tried Firestone 5000 airbags and had them installed for me for about $75. Included with the kit were two air valves I had brought to the rear bumper. This setup was about $250 about 4-5 years ago thru amazon. I pumped up the bags for towing which raised the rear and cut down on bounce. Without the trailer though it was a rough ride so I released the air in the bags and all was stock again.

Thank you! I was just researching the air bag for the springs. I was watching a videow of the airlift system. Does not seem to be very hard to install, but from what I have read the fittings are not the best. Going to keep looking at that purchase a set.

Thanks again!
John
Old 09-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. When I installed my airbags they too came with two Schrader Valves. I din't need to air one side differently than the other for load control so I simply bought a "T" and installed it between the bags and up to the valve.

I also increase the air in my rear tires when towing. I have a portable 12 Volt compressor in the basement of my 5er, air the airbags then air the rear tires up to maximum for towing. Then I let the air out back to normal when at the campsite.

Do the same on the return trip home. Changing the air pressure in the rear tires is very good for even wear on your rear tires.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #13

I installed the 1000 HD air lift. They work great to take some of the sag and bounce out. Before then I adjusted my hitch without much success and I hated the bounce. I installed these in about a hour or so with taking the spare tire out. I Put the valve stem in the inside pillar of the truck bed to keep it out of the Wisconsin elements. Once aired up with about 35 psi I adjusted the hitch and everything sits level and no issues. This does not increase the carrying capacity or anything it just helps with the weak coil spring that the 1500 has to make it run smooth when not towing anything. For the $110 price it is well worth it, yes there is much better ones out there but I wanted to try this before I spent hundreds and i'm glad I did.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/produ...-lift-1000-hd/

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-6081...s%2C168&sr=8-1
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Since no one has asked this, what is the payload capacity amount, on your driver's door sticker?
You're towing a 31' TT with a fictional dry tongue weight of 750lbs.
Your 2016 Ram 1500 may have a low payload capacity, depending on trim level and equipment. Therefore you've got sag.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #15

The reason for 2 air valves is to prevent the air going from one bag to the other. Example would be a high crown road with the weight shifting to the right side forcing the air into the left bag. This was the biggest complaint of bag systems on custom cars! They went to control of each bag. Just some info for thought and experience!
Old 09-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
Brake is on left

You can also look into Timbren if you do not want to go full on air bags. Personally, I am just going to bite the bullet and go full bags/ compressor/ wireless remote. About $800 but it will do all I need and then some.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #17

I have installed Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on the last 3 pickups. The first set was on a Ram. On each install, I placed the air valves on each side of the rear license plate. The bags are pretty easy to install and the valve placement is very convenient. These bags do add a lot of stability and lift. Unloaded, I run with 10 lbs. Pulling a fully loaded cargo trailer without a WDH, 35-40 lbs is about right. When we had the slide in on the Ram, 60 lbs was suggested (that's when I was totally sold on Ride-Rites). These will compensate somewhat for weak springs, but depending on the mileage on you truck, you may be due for shocks as-well.

The current set of Ride-Rites have been on for 7 trouble-free years. Though I have never had to replace a part on Ride-Rites, parts are available. The bags are super tough. You can put this in your consider file.

Note that on each install, I kept the bags on separate fill valves. If there ever was a leak in the system, it would be easier to trouble shoot. It also maintains constant pressure within each bag.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #18

you have gotten great advice here about shocks/sag and bags etc.

if you still looking to replace stock shocks, look no further than bilstein. even with airbags (which i think you would greatly benefit from - airlift 5000) the bilsteins at all 4 corners will improve ride quality/performance.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #19
Canadian Member

Jfr, I can’t add anything on the options for suspension upgrades. I would just recommend that you be sure to take your fully loaded setup to a scale to make sure you aren’t over the truck’s GVWR or worse its rear axle rating. As long as you’re good on those numbers, go ahead and upgrade the suspension with your choice of product(s).
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Hello All,

I use air ride from Kelderman. Improves ride and you can adjust for load to level.

https://kelderman.com/shop/?limit=al...ehicle_year=24

Tags