I purchased the HA used, it was in decent working order. We knew at time of purchase that it had been sitting in a barn for many years and didn't get used much at all. It did however sit outdoors for 8 to 10 years. I got it at a very good price and it was complete. We used it for the latter half of the season. We really like the way it tows.
It was however very unappealing. What was left of the orange powder coat was very faded and the rest was rusty. Being unsure of the real conditions of the bearing\races it became time for a rebuild. I disassembled the unit cleaned and inspected all parts which were previously unseen. What I found was pretty amazing everything inside was in great shape with the exception of the bearings. Although still functioning, the hard wear surfaces of the bearings was peeling off on most of the bearings. Six of them to be exact, all stamped "China". Two of them was stamped "Slovakia"were in great condition. They are the same type, same size, why the use of different bearings is unsure. What I know for sure is, these units cost a lot of money new and for Hensley to use cheap bearings is ridiculous.
I sent the pieces to a local powder coater for sandblasting and a fresh coat. I didn't go with the orange color but it still looks great. Eight new Timken bearings and new oil seals. I purchased new dust caps and decals from HA. I now present the reborn HA.
I must admit the "first" before pic is not actually my hitch. I forgot to get a before photo. It is a good depiction of mine before work began.
Again not my hitch but a good depiction of it's condition.
New bearings packed and ready for installation.
Underside of hitch.
Ready for the last pair of bearings to be installed.
Bearing shaft and one over center latch
And finally today it has been installed on the tongue. (Sorry FRF seems to want pic to be sideways.)
2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575