Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

Recommend towing vehicles

I purchased an RPod trailer last year and planned to tow it with my Honda Odyssey and it does work OK, but I feel that it may be somewhat underpowered especially in hilly country. Also, I can only achieve 10 miles per gallon and was hoping to get a little better mileage with the RPod. I'm thinking about changing to a SUV or a pickup for more power also hoping that the mileage may improve with some additional engine power. Any suggestions on this? What are others experiencing in gas mileage, anything better than 10 mpg? Thanks for your suggestions
CARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Going to something with a little more "oomf" might actually get you better gas mileage........but don't expect much over 11-12 mpg, unless you go all out with a diesel.....and that is really not needed with an R-Pod.

With those trailers, you will need at least a 5000 lb. tow rated vehicle to be on the safe side. Some of those trailers may weigh in under 3500 lbs. ready to camp, but I think a 3500 lb. tow rating is a little light. Plus, you have to look at the overall GCWR (gross combined weight rating). I am not familiar with the Odessey, but if you want to stay with the Honda line, maybe a Ridgeline or Pilot might serve you better.

Of course bigger is usually better when towing, but you should be able to get by nicely with a mid-sized truck or SUV. Get the lowest gear ratio (highest number) that you can, and also the most powerful engine in whatever model you choose.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at the Honda website, I am not sure that the Pilot or Ridgeline would get you better fuel mileage.....looks like they both use the same engine as the Oddessey. That combined with the increased weight might even get you less fuel mileage. It looks like the Ridgeline has a lower final drive ratio, which might help.

When looking at engine power, don't go solely on the horse power.....torque at a reasonably low RPM is probably more important.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

As Chap said, I don't really think you're going to see a great increase in mileage going to a bigger or more powerful vehicle. You will have a better towing experience, but the bigger more powerful vehicles use more gas by nature, making it easier to pull a trailer, but it's all pretty much a was in the end.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

I'm with mtnguy that more capacity would help. We have a ETC 181 which is about the same as an R-Pod (within a few hundred pounds) and pull it with a Tahoe. Yes it is a little overkill, but does not strain the truck at all. In California I get 12-13 mpg in Tow Mode.

If you do get a new TV make sure to insist on a "Factory Installed Tow Package". On our Tahoe this changed the transmission to HD, rear end gearing, added oil & trans coolers and was only a $230.00 option. It is unreal how many car sales people there are that have no knowledge about towing and will tell you “we can install a hitch”…
Good luck!
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Site Team

you should look at the newer v-8 GM or Dodge trucks/SUVs or the new F-150 ecoboost truck.

they all get over 20mpg on the highway. the GM and Dodge engines have the v-4 feature, which allows for higher mpg while highway driving(not towing).
you should be better towing mpg than the Odyssey. i get 10-12mpg towing a full height HTT with my Avalanche, so towing your Rpod with a newer v-8 should get you better mpg.

i was going to buy a Ridgeline, Tacoma or Frontier until i realized that the newer v-8's get almost the same mpg as the v-6 trucks and haul way more and have way more interior room.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

6 cylinder vehicles will get better mileage when unloaded, but pulling a full load they will be no better than a V 8. I get about 12 to 14 with my 4 door Silverado towing and it is a very comfortable. A half ton may be overkill but you will be able to take more toys and firewood.
carbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celicabob View Post
I'm with mtnguy that more capacity would help. We have a ETC 181 which is about the same as an R-Pod (within a few hundred pounds) and pull it with a Tahoe. Yes it is a little overkill, but does not strain the truck at all. In California I get 12-13 mpg in Tow Mode.

If you do get a new TV make sure to insist on a "Factory Installed Tow Package". On our Tahoe this changed the transmission to HD, rear end gearing, added oil & trans coolers and was only a $230.00 option. It is unreal how many car sales people there are that have no knowledge about towing and will tell you “we can install a hitch”…
Good luck!
Hey - that's what my saleman said about the Rav4 before I brought it.

I found out there's more to being able to tow than installing a hitch. A year later I found myself at the auto dealership buying another new vehicle to tow with. For the first 10 months I was able to borrow my sister's Yukon to tow my trailer.

Now I do my homework first and I don't listen to sales staff.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Sales Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Hey - that's what my saleman said about the Rav4 before I brought it.

I found out there's more to being able to tow than installing a hitch. A year later I found myself at the auto dealership buying another new vehicle to tow with. For the first 10 months I was able to borrow my sister's Yukon to tow my trailer.

Now I do my homework first and I don't listen to sales staff.
Isn't it amazing how sales people are so clueless...

As bikendan stated the new V-8's get great MPG when not towing. Our Tahoe when not towing on a trip north during the holidays managed 20+ MPG combined highway & hills.
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #10

I have a 2011 F150 5.0 4dr with tow package, and we get good gas milage when not towing. I can get up to 20 mpg on the road. I tow a 26' Surveyor and we got around 14 mph with the TT.
mamentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #11

I have a 26' surveyor also and started towing with a Honda Ridgeline. It towed it but it was at the very top of it's towing capacity. I now have a F150 and love it. For towing the RPod, the Ridge Line should be just fine. It has a 5000lb towing capacity and every Ridge Line made has the factory towing package (coolers,ect...) installed. I really liked the RidgeLine and it's features but for my TT I needed something with a higher towing capacity. The Pilot (my wife's vehicle) has a tow rating of 3500lbs in 2wd and 4500lbs in AWD. Same engine in both RidgeLine and Pilot. Just food for though.
LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #12

Just a suggestion: I do not know if you are new to the camping thing? But once this love affair takes hold of your heart, you are going to start dreaming while you are drying your wet feet by the evening campfire after a day of swimming at the waterhole. Dreaming what, you ask? Dreaming about that bigger trailer you would like to have for the real of love of your life. She is dreaming too. This love affair may go for a couple of years, but a bigger trailer is coming.

As the others have stated, these new vehicles get better milage. You don’t want to pay for the same real estate twice.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTech View Post
I have a 26' surveyor also and started towing with a Honda Ridgeline. It towed it but it was at the very top of it's towing capacity. I now have a F150 and love it. For towing the RPod, the Ridge Line should be just fine. It has a 5000lb towing capacity and every Ridge Line made has the factory towing package (coolers,ect...) installed. I really liked the RidgeLine and it's features but for my TT I needed something with a higher towing capacity. The Pilot (my wife's vehicle) has a tow rating of 3500lbs in 2wd and 4500lbs in AWD. Same engine in both RidgeLine and Pilot. Just food for though.
the only caveat with Honda's as tow vehicles, is Honda's anti-WDH stance.
for me, that speaks volumes to what they really think their vehicles are, in regards to towing.
granted, a WDH shouldn't be needed for a R-pod, but in case someone wants get a bigger trailer, you'll have problems without having a WDH.
whether for R-pods, teardrops or popups, a Honda Pilot or Ridgeline will be great.
but for a full-height trailer, not having a WDH is just stupid unless you have a big truck to tow with.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #14

Enough said....

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #15

We towed a R-Pod 171 with a Ford Escape (3l V6) and it was very marginal and after the first trip we traded the Escape in on a 2010 Dodge Dakota (4.7 V8). It was a really good combination and we went on a cross-Canada trip (20 000 km) with it. The mileage was absolutely lousy for a trailer that size.

The R-Pod developed a number of serious issues and we traded it for a 2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M. This one is a 1000 lbs heavier than the R-Pod but we get better mileage towing it.

As for the Honda Odyssey, I personally would not use it to tow a R-Pod. I should also say that since we live in Alberta most of our towing is in Mountain Country.

Take care,

photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
for me, that speaks volumes to what they really think their vehicles are, in regards to towing.
granted, a WDH shouldn't be needed for a R-pod, but in case someone wants get a bigger trailer, you'll have problems without having a WDH.
whether for R-pods, teardrops or popups, a Honda Pilot or Ridgeline will be great.
but for a full-height trailer, not having a WDH is just stupid unless you have a big truck to tow with.
I know (but had forgotten) that Honda doesn't recommend towing with a WDH but I did and had no problems. I did a lot of research on the Ridgeline forum about it and others have done it quiet a bit with no ill effects.

I also agree with campdohbrew about upgrading in the future to a bigger trailer (we did). The Ridgeline is limited to what it can tow. My F150 is rated to tow 9600lbs and actually the unloaded and towing MPG is only about 2-3 less on the F150 than the Ridgeline (5.4L V8 vs. 4.6L V6). Get all the truck you can afford to buy and drive.

@ GASPEDDLER-- That is a nice truck and will pull the world but the sticker shock on a new F350 King Ranch (but they sure are nice)
LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTech
@ GASPEDDLER-- That is a nice truck and will pull the world but the sticker shock on a new F350 King Ranch (but they sure are nice)
Thanks Luna

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 01-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #18

I would say to the OP that buying a tow vehicle is much like buying a house. There is no perfect solution. You weigh the pros and cons and then you pull the trigger. While the ride of a half ton sounds great for my daily commute to work, instead I hop around inside my f350 each time I hit a bump. But the ease of towing in all conditions was worth the compromise and I was willing to make it. Would I like to get 20 + mpg Monday thru Friday? You bet I would, but again compromises. My philosophy is much like the rest of the forum members; you're better off buying more house than you need, up to what you can afford. It's always nice to have that extra reserve when you need it and for any additions in the future. Just my opinion....

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #19

Within the last month, we bought a used 2003 AWD Astro van for cheap. It's rated to 6000lbs tow capacity and should do better than our 3.5 V6 Murano which was only marginal with the Wolf Pup 17'. I don't think it's right that Forest River markets that your mini-van can tow it because it's taxing such vehicles big time as mentioned above, especially on any even moderate hill when you look at those vehicle's 3500lb tow capacity (max) and a unit like the Wolf Pup at about 2500lb dry.

We bought the Astro with 260,000 miles on it in great shape (never thought I'd buy a vehicle with that high mileage but our mechanic said it checked out fine), but only for use as a tow vehicle, though I must admit, it's been fun driving it to work in snow, when we've had it in this mild Wisconsin winter. We don't travel too far from home, or even really out of state to camp in the summer months, so this was a good option for us.
mrpackerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep! The Ridgeline has IRS (independent rear suspension). Any significant load causes huge negative camber. (The tops of your rear tires will tip inward resulting in strange handling and tire wear.). In general, I would avoid IRS for towing.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote