Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #1

Reese 20K hitch - Problems

We just got a new Reece 20K 5th wheel hitch installed and it just does not work!!! We took it back to the dealer today and they changed the head of the unit but it still does not work!! We put the handle in the unlock position and when we dock the trailer the handle goes out but just does not close and there is no way to get it closed!! I have tried to push it closed and no luck!! I have tried different heights on the trailer, no luck, I have tried moving the truck forward just a smidge and back the same and no luck!! I am calling the dealer tomorrow to send somebody down to my house!! We have a beautiful Forest River Serra, 360 PDEK and can not move it a foot!! Oh Well I bet it gets fixed!! We bought it to travel not sit in front of the house!!(LOL) God Bless!! ...Dave (Jupiterd1)
Jupiterd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that. We had a hard time getting our Reese 16k to lock and to unlock. What I have found is it really is about positioning and we have to rock it back and forth. Also we got one of these lube plates and it made a huge difference. Also, I painted the jaws of the hitch orange so we could see if it was closed more easily. Out of curiosity, any problems opening and closing the hitch when not hooked up?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply!! There are no problems with no trailer!!(LOL) Opens and closes just great!! We also have the lube plate!! It is driving us nuts!!(LOL) But it is mechanical so it could be any one of a number of things but I am sure we either get it fixed or go to a different company!! God Bless!!...Dave (Jupiterd1)
Old 12-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #4

I have a Sandpiper 360 PDEK, my hitch is a super glide. I notice that I had to back in with a little bump to get it to lock.
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Papi

Using Lube Plate?

Does your 20K have the black "plastic" hitch plate cover? I believe all 20's come with one (not so for the 16's). If you do have the top surface cover you should NOT be using a lube plate. It adds a good one eighth inch to the clearance and probably causes a lot of tightness between the pin surfaces and the hitch surfaces. If you're using the white lube plate AND if you have the black hitch cover surface remove the lube plate and give 'er a try. It takes a bit of practice to find the sweet spot height-wise and also to unhitch easily (try backing a inch then let TV roll forward just enough to relieve forward pressure on the jaws as you go to "park") and then pull and see what happens. Use chocks always of course! Let us know if this helps. You should end up loving the 20...I did...it's a Helluva hitch I think!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #6

Thank you!! I will remove the lube plate and try it again!! I will let you know if it works!! God Bless!!...Dave (Jupiterd1)
Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #7

PapiCamper
Cedar Creek 36CKTS
F350 Lariat ("Big Blue")

OMG, it worked right away!! That dog gone little plastic kept the thing from closing!! I could not wait to try it this morning and it worked just fine!! Thanks, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!! God Bless!! Dave (jupiterd1)
Old 12-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #8

I have a 5th wheel, with a 22k hitch. I had to remove the plastic cover to make the connection easier. I also painted the coupler jaws red to see the placement once I backed into the pin. The jaws have to be in the middle of the pin to encircle and lock!!! The plate the pin is attached has to be almost sitting on top of your receiver, (Approx 1/8"), you should see only a margin of daylight between the pin box and your receiver. You should only have to bump the handle to lock!!
Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Papicamper is correct. The big Black plastic cover is in effect your lube plate. Do not use the white lube plate. Also there are times when you have some stress on your hitch for whatever reason and your your hitch will not unlock when trying to unhook from the 5vr. Set your park while hitched and use chocks on the tailor then put the tranny in neutral. This procedure will sometimes relieve the stress and allow you to unlock the hitch.

BTW, The new 20,000lb Reese hitch is much improved over the previous model. Tolerances are very close thus making the new model very quite and eliminating that slamming sound that some hitches have. really like our new Reese.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
PINTO

Love a happy ending and THANK YOU for posting what fixed the problem!
Chevy 3500 LT Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Papi

Hey...I finally got one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterd1 View Post
PapiCamper
Cedar Creek 36CKTS
F350 Lariat ("Big Blue")

OMG, it worked right away!! That dog gone little plastic kept the thing from closing!! I could not wait to try it this morning and it worked just fine!! Thanks, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!! God Bless!! Dave (jupiterd1)
Only because I have the same hitch and read, I believe on the Reese website, all about the black cover and not needing any grease or lube plates. Glad to help!. I'm happy that you succeeded. Now if I could only get all the answers I need. Oh yes...as a side note: Never believe the salesman...IF he even tells you something interesting...which is unlikely. Some of these guys make car dealers look good!. Oh, sorry. I'm off on another tirade again. Merry Christmas and God Bless you and yours also!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #12

Another issue I found, at least on ours is that the 20K slide jumps out when going up a steep hill or mountain. When this happens you almost need a change of shorts. I put a rubber bungee cord on the slide handle to the rear bed tie down and that took care of laundry problem.
Det107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry to here that, I don't have a slide. Our hitch has been excellent. yours might need some adjustment, have you called Reese or Cequent tech support?
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch