Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

Reese Dual Cam

My dealer is installing a Reese Dual Cam WDH and i was told that this has sway control built in? I figured i would ask here to make sure the info im being told is correct? thanks!
phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips View Post
My dealer is installing a Reese Dual Cam WDH and i was told that this has sway control built in? I figured i would ask here to make sure the info im being told is correct? thanks!
Yes it does. I don't own one so can't speak of how good. However, I've only read good reviews and a lot of them. Do a search and you'll get more than you care to read about all WDHs.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #3

I LOVE my Reese Dual Cam; in fact I posted a couple of reviews on it earlier today:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1124946

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1124970

...and my review on e-trailer is the first one:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP26002.html

If you have any specific questions or want some pictures, let me know...
Old 03-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #4

As long as the dealer installs it properly you will be very happy with how well it performs! however most dealers do not know how to set them up properly!

Good luck!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

^^Good point; I did mine myself. The instructions were good and e-trailer has videos that had a lot of helpful tips as well. So... I would definitely advise reading/watching those and looking over the dealer install afterwards.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick_PSD View Post
I LOVE my Reese Dual Cam;

US TOO!!!!! 5 years, 2 campers, 3 trucks...
Once set up its very easy to use.
Rock solid feel when on the interstate with cross winds and big rigs.
As other have said review and understand how it should be set up so you know its right and adjust it if needed.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
As long as the dealer installs it properly you will be very happy with how well it performs! however most dealers do not know how to set them up properly!
Big time agree with that post. When I left the dealership with my setup, the dealer had only put back 60 lbs. of my "lost" 300 lbs on my steer axle. The dealers are notorious for not taking their time with the setups. I also had to move the cam brackets further back then what they had dealership had done.

The get the best possible performance from the straight line dual cam, it has to be setup correctly. That includes the proper weight distributing, and also the proper position of the cams in the crook of the spring bars.

Also, try to size the spring bars to the predicted trailer tongue weight. Too heavy spring bars will make the ride seem stiff, and too light spring bars may not provide the proper weight distributing.

Another thing to consider is the correct Reese setup for the trailer. IMHO, the round bar setup works best for trailers with the coupler on top of the trailer tongue frame, and the trunnion bars work best when the coupler is on the bottom of the trailer tongue framer. That also goes along with many/most of the lighter/shorter trailers that sit lower to the ground have the coupler on top of the tongue frame, and heavier/longer trailers that sit higher up tend to have the coupler mounted to the bottom of the trailer tongue. Round bar setups go up to 1200 lbs tongue weight , and trunnion bar setups go up to 1700 lbs tongue weight.

I have the trunnion style spring bars on my trailer with the couple mounted on top of the frame, and have had some rub issues. The rub issue occurred when the coupler was mounted on top of the tongue frame, and the tongue frame was 6" or over. My trailer has both of those, plus my trailer tongue frame is not exactly parallel to the trailer frame.....it comes up in front. Going to a 2" raised ball helped with clearance some (per a call to Reese), plus 1 of the newer head assemblies (supplied by Reese after 1 of the trunnion sockets "stretched") with a raised platform helped.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I had the reese dual cam on my old TT. It has integrated sway control. It is a pain to dial in but once set up correctly, it is a good hitch. Know that you will likely need to adjust the setup once the tt is loaded. Take the time to understand how the hitch works. My dealer set mine up completely incorrectly including installing parts backwards.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Reese DC has a "additional advantage" over Equalizer by having a "Mechanical Cam Detent system" as well as the Friction to Help arrest SWAY also! Youroo!!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #10

There are lots of WDH kits available now with integrated sway control. Of those that are reasonably priced, the "Equal-I-zer" brand, and the Reese Dual-Cam probably have the most history, and are well-known on sites like this. You will find very few people who have used either of these who changed to something else.

And yeah, if it seems like it's not functioning well, the dealer probably spent little time on set-up. Make sure they include the instructions, so you can take some front wheel-well measurements yourself (before hitching up the trailer, vs after engaging WDH).
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #11

With our previous 32' travel trailer I had a standard weight distribution hitch with friction sway control. We just bought a new 37' and I upgraded hitches to a Reese Dual Cam. Like previous posts have said its a pain to get truly dialed in. I'm almost there. You certainly can feel it trying to keep you in a straight line, which sometimes can be quirky, but I think it's just me getting used to the new hitch and trailer.

Definitely keep all the paperwork and don't be afraid to measure and readjust things if needed. The last adjustment I made was a very minor 1/4" adjustment on the angle of the hitch head that improved things.
Nosedive is offline   Reply With Quote