Old 08-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
traveler

Reese Dual Cam WD

Can you TT owners with the Reese Dual Cam WD set up comment on how you feel about the Reese system eleminating or reducing sway. After 6 years of dealing with it, I am working on lessening the sway on my TT. I just installed Michline 10 ply tires on my Ram 1500. This improved the sway and truck control, but i still have some wiggle-waggle on the trailer. I hate white knuckle driving. Your comments would be appreciated.
I use a sway bar with my WD but am told that any trailer over 26 feet it can't manage, and i am 31.5 feet

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
ó Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #2

I use a Reese SC WD system. I also use a sway bar.

The trick to using a sway bar is to tighten down real hard. Mine is as tight as it can go and works really well.

My TT is 38' long and is pushing 11k lbs.

Make sure you have enough tongue weight and have your WD system setup properly. That is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #3

I have the Reese dual cam 17k/1700 and overall, I think it does a good job of reducing sway. The only hint of sway I get is when I get sucked in as a big truck passes by. I've had that happen on many trailers, not just my current trailer. My trailer is 30' long, 36' overall, that is a big area for wind to catch it.

My recommendation is to follow the installation instructions very carefully and double check all of your measurements. When properly installed and set correctly, it's a very good system.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

We love our duel cam, but we are only 21ft and 4500#s. rock solid back there.

Nights camped 2017..... not enough
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #5

Been using the same Reese Dual Cam since 2008. This is the second TT its been on. Never had a sway issue, but my TT is shorter than yours. My empty weight is 5,000 with an empty tongue weight of 700. No changes to the truck stock suspension.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

We have 26', 7,000lbs towing with 1500 series Silverado with LT tires. Prior to the Reese dual cam we had some serious wiggle. Had a good technician setup the Reese and everything is rock solid at the rear.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
Site Team

I used to tow a 30' tt with a loaded weight of 7300 lbs and a loaded tongue weight of 1000 lbs. I used the reese dual cam with 1200 lb bars. It was a good hitch but a pain to get set up properly. Info on proper wdh set up.

Some really good wdh Info.

The most important thing is making sure you have your weight in the trailer properly distributed to give you a loaded tongue weight of 13-15% of loaded tt weight. I strongly suggest weighing your current rig. CAT Scale | Network of Certified Truck Scales.

You will want to make 3 passes. First pass is typically $9-12, each additional pass in a 24 hour period is typically $1-3. When weighing have a full tank of fuel, all gear, people and pets like you would when camping.

Pass 1: truck only no trailer. Truck front axle on scale pad 1, truck rear axle on scale pad 2.

Pass 2: truck plus tt no wdh. Truck same as pass one, all tt axles on scale pad 3.

Pass 3: truck plus tt with wdh hooked up. Positioned same as second pass.

What these tell you:
Pass one is used to get your unhitched axle weights. You can also use it to find out some info about your truck. Gcwr - total truck weight =adjusted tow capacity. Gvwr - total truck weight = available payload.

Pass two allows you to calculate total loaded tt weight and loaded tongue weight.

Pass three is used for wdh adjustment. The idea is to return the front axle to as close to unhitched weight as possible without going heavier.
asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinreb View Post
Can you TT owners with the Reese Dual Cam WD set up comment on how you feel about the Reese system eleminating or reducing sway. After 6 years of dealing with it, I am working on lessening the sway on my TT. I just installed Michline 10 ply tires on my Ram 1500. This improved the sway and truck control, but i still have some wiggle-waggle on the trailer. I hate white knuckle driving. Your comments would be appreciated.
I use a sway bar with my WD but am told that any trailer over 26 feet it can't manage, and i am 31.5 feet
I think People are confused in their statements about "Reese Dual Cam WD" the Dual Cam "IS" the Sway Control! Adding friction bars means there is a "Improper Set up of your Hitch! Youroo!!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Youroo is correct. Reese dual cam has integrated sway control, additional sway control should not be needed. If you still have sway with it, something is wrong. You may need to adjust your hitch, adjust your tongue weight or you may not have enough TV for the tt or a combination of these things.

Remember true sway is side to side oscillations that increase in size and speed.
asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Youroo is correct. Reese dual cam has integrated sway control, additional sway control should not be needed. If you still have sway with it, something is wrong. You may need to adjust your hitch, adjust your tongue weight or you may not have enough TV for the tt or a combination of these things.

Remember true sway is side to side oscillations that increase in size and speed.

Depending on the length and weight of your TT, additional sway control may be needed. These WD systems with built-in sway control have their limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk