Old 08-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Reese Goose Box

We recently purchased a F350 SWRLB with the thought of getting a medium sized 5th wheel in the future. I found this goose box and it looks exactly like what I’m looking for. My truck has the Ford hitch setup already so I have several options.

We travel a good deal for business and I also run AKC Field trials with a few Labradors so space is a key ingredient in the bed of the truck. If we go the route of a 5th wheel I am going to have a 3 compartment dog box built that will sit down in the bed so I can transport the dogs while I’m towing the trailer.

I would like some input from the few folks who have actually installed and use the Reese Goose Box.

Thank You

DKRITTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
We have several thousand miles on ours this year.I had it dealer installed when we bought the trailer,mostly because I already had a gooseneck setup in the truck for hauling the horse trailer,and I did not want to "give up" the box or dink around changeing hitches all the time.After liveing with it,I would not have anything else.The trailer is unaffected by wind or wakes from passing trucks/busses. Since it has the air bag set up,there is NO chucking either.It was my understanding that IF dealer installed,Lippert will not void the warrenty,especially since they now own rights to build the hitch.On the downside,it is more difficult to hook up because you have to hit the ball exactly to make it latch. This was not an issue for us as we have been hauling gooseneck trailers for years.I have considered installing a backup camera in the box,looking right at the ball for times I have to go it alone because my transfer tank/toolbox blocks my view of the ball.It will be a learning curve to align the ball because the ball is actually 4" ahead of the rear axel,so "wiggeling" the ball side to side (as with a rear mounred ball hitch)is not an option,you must move the whole truck over.

trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
I agree with TRBO's comments. I had a 32' lite fifth wheel with a conventional Reese fifth wheel hitch, and I absolutely hated that thing. On certain highways, the chucking felt like something was about to come apart. That 8000 lb trailer would jerk that 8000 lb truck around like a rag doll.
Recently made three significant changes;
1. bought a Silverback 29RE 12,000 lbs +/-
2. Had the dealer install a B&W turnover ball hitch
3. Had the dealer install a Reese Goosebox

The towing experience has been night and day, even with a heavier trailer. The Reese Goosebox incorporates the Fifth Airborne technology with an airbag and dual shocks. The airbag needs 50 psi. The pulling experience is so much softer and my chucking was reduced 90%. The occasional chucking is much softer and short lived.
The downside is that you have to keep an eye on the airbag pressure because each time you hit a pothole, the airbag pressure will spike and the relief valve will spit a little air out. This relief valve just protects the airbag, so it's a small price to pay for the protection and performance....imho.
I had my dealer install my Goosebox, but after getting it home, I found that it was actually a little to close to the truck toolbox, so I lowered the Goosebox one set of holes. I could have saved money by ordering it from Amazon or Etrailer and just installing it myself. You would need some strong help for the first install. Once installed, it can be moved up and down fairly easily by yourself.
No matter how you get it installed, hold onto your original pinbox. A few years down the road, you can move the Goosebox to the next trailer. Oh yeah, "IF" you install it yourself, make sure you have access to a torque wrench that will handle 210 ft/lbs. my dealer just tightened the bolts "till it felt good". When I lowered it, I used a torque wrench. 210 ft/lbs is a lot of torque to achieve unless the wrench has a handle longer than 2'. Or use a torque multiplier. I would think most rental companies would have those tools. But, do not skimp on this step. That 210 ft/lbs is a critical step.
I've only used the Goosebox for maybe a thousand miles or so, but I've been very happy with its performance.
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, 4x4 SRW. B&W turnover with extender. 2015 CC Silverback 29RE, fitted with Reese Goose Box. Amateur Extra Class K5TS, 2016 nights camped 16
Davidg is offline   Reply With Quote