Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Reese Hitch Head 112750 failure

Good morning all,

I searched this forum and didn't see anything but, there is information out there on the internet about people having the same issue.

While prepping for our trip this weekend, I discovered my hitch head has damaged steel from the pressure of the trunnion bars where they mount into the head.

I called Reese and I must say, they are aware of the problem and they called a local dealer for me who has one in stock. I'm stopping there today on my way home to swap it out, no questions asked. The dealer will return the damaged head to Reese.

My hitch is from 2007, this is the only year they used this hitch head as they realized it was a poor design. The 2008 and current hitch head is redesigned with more steel in that area.

The technical support person on the phone indicated, it's mostly common when you have to tilt the head of the hitch to get the best distribution. He said, the hitch is designed to tilt 15 degrees, however, with this hitch head, if you tilt even 8-9 degrees over time this will happen.

They never released any recall on it but, it's covered under warranty.

If you have this Reese hitch head, be on the lookout before something happens.

Really happy with the product support from Reese and how they stood behind their product even after 7yrs of normal use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140709_092306.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	57714   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140709_092256.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	57715  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Glad you caught it in time. I fought a WD hitch for a few years and in my opinion it was a poor design. I have often wondered what could happen if you were to loose one WD bar while traveling. The results could be very bad if the conditions were right.

Glad to hear that Reese is stepping up.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #3

I also asked the question to the tech about lubrication of where the bars sit in the head. He recommended 80-90w oil on that and the ball or of course their branded lube.

I stated to him that in my manual it says nothing about lubrication anywhere of anything. He concurred and said for that hitch in 2007 they didn't have any recommendation of lubrication anywhere. In 2008 to present, they do.

Other then that, it's holding up well for the use that it sees.

I am just glad they stepped up, I thought I'd be pulling teeth and chasing around trying to get a hitch before the couple day trip coming up.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

Most Reese Trunnion Heads have (2) oil holes at the top,some even have (Oil Here) cast in the head circleing the holes.Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

Yes, that's the new style which I'll be getting as a replacement. My current hitch head which is damaged has those holes which I thought were lubrication holes. I've always squirted a drop or so every trip on the ball and on trunion where they touch the head but, there is no lubrication recommendation in my manual for 2007 compared to what it states now in the manual for the newer style.

From my understanding, the only thing you don't want to ever lubricate is the friction pads although I heard if the popping and creaking really gets to you, you can use a little vaseline or equivalent. Even though to me, that would be counterintuitive.

Thanks for the replies!

Tags
hitch