Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Reese is made in China?

There was a recent thread about Reese moving their manufacturing from the US to Mexico which had some people upset. But I just noticed on the dual cam pieces on the Reese Strait-line/dual cam hitch are stamped "made in China". Are there a lot of the Reese parts actually made in China then? If that's the case, maybe a move to Mexico would be a step up in quality?

I had thought that we had bought something actually made in the US of A.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

I haven't noticed and have purchased a few items with their name on it.

Wouldn't surprise me if the majority was manufactured in China.

I have purchased some balls and mounts from Princess Auto also. I believe most of their product is comes from China similar to Canadian Tire.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Everything comes from China these days.

If it's made from cast iron products/steel or electronics, you can almost bet the bank that part or all of it was from "the peoples republic".

It's a simple function of the way the NA market works: build it as cheap as possible, sell for as much as possible and maximize profits....killin' ourselves we are...

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Made in China does not automatically denote crap. As long as the quality control is monitored by the parent company there should be no problem. (Just think Apple for one example). There are many reasons that items are made in China and yes, one of them is the costs of the items, and that is all I will say on that subject, since it tends to get me into deep (you know what).

Cequent group owns Reese (as well as Draw Tite, Hidden Hitch, Tekonsha, Tow Ready and a few other large companies).
Cequent Group

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Toy-aholic

That is why I bought a B&W hitch MADE IN USA!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
That is why I bought a B&W hitch MADE IN USA!
While this is probably opening another can of worms, just because it has "made in USA" stamped on it doesn't mean its quality either.

With every major product these days, you have to research it before you buy....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
While this is probably opening another can of worms, just because it has "made in USA" stamped on it doesn't mean its quality either.

Sad, but true.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Toy-aholic

when I put the hitch together, the fit & finish was so precise and well done it was obvious where it came from!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Grape Escape

If they are made in China they should have lowered the price by 50% at least.
But then again corporate greed takes over.
And what country do these corporate fat cats live in? One guess
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

My Tow Ready receiver, made by Cequent, for my H3 is made in USA. And it was purchased last Fall. I'll have to look at my receiver made for my Silverado; I believe it is also a Tow Ready. And if you go to Tow Ready site, the part number and the photo is identical to the Reese, Draw Tite, part number and photos.

Since they are all owned by Cequent, I'm betting they are all made and the only difference is the sticker applied after manufacturing.

Of course this goes with my Mexican made Silverado; which I have to say has better quality than my H3 that was made in Louisiana. Although I have to say, even though the fit/finish and interior on the H3 was terrible from the start, the H3 has been put through hell and so far the major components such as the axles, engine, trans, have all held up very well and those components were at least assembled in the USA. And the H3 has been beaten on some of the worse off-road trails in Moab, UT and Ouray, CO.

Have to be careful when people say the item is made by an American company or assembled in an American plant. Most of your vehicles contain a lot of non-American made parts.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post

In my experience, and everyone I know or have ever spoken to, the odds are vastly in your favor when buying American, and vastly against you when buying Chinese. Especially when it involves metallic components. As someone else stated, it's gotten to the point that many times a Chinese made product is cheaper by a negligible amount. The cost savings is being funneled into profits and bonuses, not lower consumer costs. I just bought an American made B&W receiver hitch for LESS than a lower quality Reese or Curt would have cost. And my Equalizer hitch was no more than what a Chinese made traditional chain type WDH with 2 friction bars would have cost. I think we have been duped into believing that we HAVE to buy Chinese or it will cost us more, when in fact a lot of the reason for outsourcing was for nothing more than profit. Just my .02.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
Toy-aholic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
In my experience, and everyone I know or have ever spoken to, the odds are vastly in your favor when buying American, and vastly against you when buying Chinese. Especially when it involves metallic components. As someone else stated, it's gotten to the point that many times a Chinese made product is cheaper by a negligible amount. The cost savings is being funneled into profits and bonuses, not lower consumer costs. I just bought an American made B&W receiver hitch for LESS than a lower quality Reese or Curt would have cost. And my Equalizer hitch was no more than what a Chinese made traditional chain type WDH with 2 friction bars would have cost. I think we have been duped into believing that we HAVE to buy Chinese or it will cost us more, when in fact a lot of the reason for outsourcing was for nothing more than profit. Just my .02.
RIGHT ON!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #13

In my experience, purchasing a Chinese product from a Chinese company can be a problem. However, I can think of no experiences that purchasing a Chinese manufactured product from a major American (or European) company, has caused any problems.
I say major since there are some small startup companies in the USA that only use Chinese made products; and I stay away from these types of companies. And I qualify this from major companies such as Cequent, Apple (and I do not own an Apple product, but know many who do and they have no problems), Motorola and quite a few other companies.
My biggest problems with the items I purchase have been with American made products from trucks all the way to handguns.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #14

Reese straight line dual cam system junk

Purely the biggest mistake I made buying this product last year after 6 ea bent snap up brackets and all installed by dealer I was forced to replace it with the Wd I should have bought in the first place which was an Equalizer 4 point sway control setup .But Noooo.. I had to skimp on the quality and the price and I knew better at the time,lesson learned.
Optimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote