Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #31

Just wanted to throw this out there. I ordered the R20 and received It last week. Before ordering I came across this post and was wondering if I would need to call Reese upon receipt for the newer parts. Good news is they box had an updated to 2014 standards and the orange bushings already installed. So for anyone ordering new it seems as Reese already fixed their stock

Old 01-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #32

I ordered a New R16 From etrailer. Just came in with the old Yellow Bushings. So I guess there is still old stock out there. I called reese and they are suppossed to be sending me the updated orange ones. Guess Ill have to wait for those to come in now.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #33

Getting pretty upset with this hitch now. Did anyone have problems installing the new replacement isolators?

It seems that the extra inner sleeve that came with these new parts is too long. When you tighten everything as indicated they do sit flush to the new isolators. The Inner sleeve seems to be 1/4" too long! Anyone else have this problem?? Also it seems that this keeps the bolt from threading deep enough into the hitch. Had this new hitch for two weeks now and still trying to get it right. Guess Ill call Reese again tomorrow

Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #34

Spoke to reese. Sent them pictures. They feel this is acceptable. I can seem to fatham that. I also compared the length of the threads that engage into the hitch and compared that to the original bushings. Looks like originally there was 7/8" and now with this sleeve it is only 1/2". Im just going to have those sleeves cut down 1/4" on a lathe so everything fits right and the threads enge 3/4". Cant really believe that Reese doesnt see a problem with this. After the yellow isolators failed I fear in time the orange one could walk out or loosen up in the current scenario.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #35

I'm not understanding the problem from your pictures. The first 2 pics do not have the spacers installed. The 3rd pic shows the spacers and it appears to sit flush. What am I missing?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #36

The spacer are installed in all three pictures. There are two spacers that both get installed inboard towards the hitch. The 3rd pic is just to show that the center sleeve does sit flush when installed. When everything is installed and tightened the center sleeve keeps the head of the bolt 1/4" out from holding the isolator in place. The isolator is a taper fit from the inside so it is pretty tight. My fear is when the trailer puts some stress and flex on the isolator it may allow the isolator to move outward up to 1/4". If that happened one of the insides pacers could potentially drop out of position.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #37

Heres a couple more pics to better explain. When the sleeve is fully seated flush to the inside, it hangs out 1/4" on the outside. Also see how many less threads get engaged. I was under the impression that a bolts threads must engage 1-1/2 times its diameter. so the original bushing is ideal at 7/8" inch while this new sleeve only allows for 1/2". The only fix I can think of is to have these bushings machine down 3/16" to 1/4" on a lathe. Just a shame this is how they come. Does anyone else with this setup have this problem?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #38

Thanks for the explanation and pics. I have the new parts but won't be able to replace the old spacers until next spring. Is it possible to use a longer bolt?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #39

Blkcorvair

I took a quick look at mine and I dont have that gap like you do, My outer washer sits flush. When I get home tomorrow, dependeng on weather (getting more snow) I will look closer and see if I can find any way to help.
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #40

I'm pretty disappointed at this point. I can have the spacer machines down a bit shorter and than add 1/2" longer bolts and I'm sure it may be fine. But than I am modifying a hitch that cost me $800 and I still haven't even used it. I contacted terai let about returning it and they denies it because it was installed. Any problem I have they said I must take up with Reese. It's pretty sad that they sold me a product with a known defective piece, than had Reese send me a repair kit that doesn't seem to be well designed out of the box. I'd rather not use it at all at this point, but looks like I may be stuck with it!