Old 02-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #41

That is an aggravating situation. I think if it was me, I would cut the bushings in my metal chop saw (or even use a hacksaw), clean it up with a file and install. Count it as a lesson learned regarding Reese customer service and move on.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
That is an aggravating situation. I think if it was me, I would cut the bushings in my metal chop saw (or even use a hacksaw), clean it up with a file and install. Count it as a lesson learned regarding Reese customer service and move on.

Yes, that might be the final outcome. The whole process was actually pretty aggravating with etrailer. The boxes came in all smashed up because it was barely packed with any packing material. I originally contacted them because the various parts were scratched and knicked and I told them I didnt want it like this let alone with defective bushings. But lets face it, the hitch will get weathered and scrathed in the back of the truck anyhow so once they told me they had the new isolators on thier way I figured Id just deal with it. But now Im kicking myself for not sending it right back.

In the end if Im stuck with it, Ill have my freind machine those spacers down on a lathe so they are nice and square and Ill probably opt for bolts that are 1/2" longer to be safe. Lesson learned..

Old 02-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
Don't think you would be able to cut with a hack saw and a chop saw will heat the metal too much and possibly melt the flexible material. Lathe is the proper way to do it. Probably take a carbide tool to cut it on a lathe.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #44

I thought the bushing came out of the flexible material. You are right that it might melt it if it doesn't.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #45

The bushing is a separate piece that can be removed from the orange isolator.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
The bushing is a separate piece that can be removed from the orange isolator.

I was About to chime in. Yes the Part that everyone is calling a Bushing, is a Removeable Sleeve that gets inserted inside the "Bushing". the sleeve is the part that is too long. The "Bushing" is molded as a part of the Isolator and that part is fine as is. The sleeve is what I keep referencing that needs to be cut down.

Also this may not pertain to the R20 hitch. Apparently the R20 Hitch doesnt use a Bolt to hold all of this together. The R20 has a pin of sorts.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #47

Blkcorvair

I just looked at my R16K with the new orange bushings and it is the same exact way. It sticks out about a 1/4 inch, just like yours. I did not notice that when I installed them last season. I have to look at my records to see if I towed with the new bushings. I think I did do several short trips with the new bushings. Will research and let you know.

I checked I only used the new ones to park the camper in the back yard. No real towing....
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #48

I bought some 3" long bolts instead of the 2-3/4" that it came with, and added (3) 1/16" thick machine washers to each side instead of machining down the sleeve. I do believe the fit shouldnt be tight and some gap should be there so everything moves freely but 1/4" seemed excessive. and I wanted more than 1/2" of threads holding the hitch together. Also used some blue loctite on the threads. Ill post some additional photos.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
I bought some 3" long bolts instead of the 2-3/4" that it came with, and added (3) 1/16" thick machine washers to each side instead of machining down the sleeve. I do believe the fit shouldnt be tight and some gap should be there so everything moves freely but 1/4" seemed excessive. and I wanted more than 1/2" of threads holding the hitch together. Also used some blue loctite on the threads. Ill post some additional photos.
That's funny, because that is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I would like to see some pictures.
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #50

Everything is a wee bit frozen here now but heres some picture.

You can see with (3) Machine Washers this leaves 1/16" of space so everything can still move. I put a light coating of white lithium grease on everything to keep those washers from rattling.

Also the other picture is a little dark but you can see the backside of the hitch and the bolt almost reaches completly through now.

The Machine washers were 1" OD and fit perfectly snug on the sleeves.