Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Back to Shasta Camping...

Reese Revolution and 5W Trailer Sway

Folks,

As always thanks for your sharing your immense collective wisdom.

The wife and I recently began the transition to a much more capable TV. Specifically, we purchased a lightly used 2014 Dodge 3500 Ram with 6.7 CTD. The new truck however is a short bed truck.

Because our 5W has a Reese Revolution pin box we have been working towards getting a matching rail kit installed that will allow the hitch from our 2500 to be moved to our 3500. We beleive we can do this by activating the sidewinder function within our trailer.

My issue is at this point I came across a youtube video I beleive was sponsored by (or produced by) Pull-Rite which talks about this inducing trailer sway back into the 5W towing situation by moving the pivot point to the rear.

My review of some of the posts/threads within the forum indicate that some senior (more experienced) members of the forum use this function with their short-bed tow vehicles and I hope that you can share your experiences (or lack of bad experiences) with 5W trailer sway while towing with the Reese Revolution system activated.

The video link is:

As always, thanks for sharing your collective wisdom and overall friendliness.

Happy Trails.

B n D
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
--------------------------------------------------
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Just my experience. I pulled a tt for 5+ years. Plenty of experience with sway. Then a 9000lb wildcat for 4 years with a half ton and regular hitch. No away ever.
Now I pull a 8000lb rockwood with revolution pin. Maybe, maybe on one or two occasions, I felt a big rig pass. Very little movement. I doubt at all that you will feel anything with a one ton truck. I love the revolution on my short bed.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Site Team

Wow. Just watched the video. While the concept is accurate (moving a hitch to the rear of the axle allows sway) it has nothing to do with the revolution setup. The hitch has not been moved back. The weight is in the same place as any other hitch. Either pull rite has never seen a revolution pin box, or they are intentionally misleading buyers. I think its just a scare tactic. I tried to get a pull rite back in 2009. They kept telling me it did not fit my truck, but I'd see them mounted in same model. And, the pull rite moves the pivot point behind the Axel every time you turn. And, you can pull any 5er with a regular pin with your standard hitch. You can only pull a pullrite setup 5er with a pull rite hitch. Jmo

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

I think the video is a great cartoon developed by a company feeling the hurt from the introduction of the Reese revolution designed for short bed trucks. I used my reese revolution with both setups and have noticed no change in the towing dynamics of my 9000lb fifth wheel. The positive is that I have the comfort of that added clearance between camper and truck.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
Always Learning

I've yet to hear an actual owner of a Reese Revolution mention sway, much less complain of it. If I had a short bed, it's definitely what I would be installing.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Reese Revolution and 5W Trailer Sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill n Diana View Post
Folks,

As always thanks for your sharing your immense collective wisdom.

The wife and I recently began the transition to a much more capable TV. Specifically, we purchased a lightly used 2014 Dodge 3500 Ram with 6.7 CTD. The new truck however is a short bed truck.

Because our 5W has a Reese Revolution pin box we have been working towards getting a matching rail kit installed that will allow the hitch from our 2500 to be moved to our 3500. We beleive we can do this by activating the sidewinder function within our trailer.

My issue is at this point I came across a youtube video I beleive was sponsored by (or produced by) Pull-Rite which talks about this inducing trailer sway back into the 5W towing situation by moving the pivot point to the rear.

My review of some of the posts/threads within the forum indicate that some senior (more experienced) members of the forum use this function with their short-bed tow vehicles and I hope that you can share your experiences (or lack of bad experiences) with 5W trailer sway while towing with the Reese Revolution system activated.

The video link is:

As always, thanks for sharing your collective wisdom and overall friendliness.

Happy Trails.

B n D

Bill,

I have LOTS of sway/vortex experience towing a TT. When we upgraded to a 5er last year, we found even with a 6 1/2' bed, we would need some sort of moving hitch. Our dealer (Dandy RV in Anniston, AL...best in the world IMHO ) recommended the Reese 16K with the revolution kingpin over the Pull-Rite. When I asked why, we were flatly told it was overpriced and in their opinion not constructed as well as a Reese. We listened to our dealer and got the Reese.

Caveat: make SURE your installer knows the Sidewinder....our first installation resulted in having to get a different wedge before the sidewinder worked correctly.

Another benefit of a sidewinder: you do not have to be so ~precise~ when you back up to hookup. One of you guys back the truck and when close the other can move the sidewinder left/right to align it with the receiver - easy peasy!

Oh, and back to your original question...just got back form a 350 mile all interstate trip. Didn't even know the 5er was behind us and yes, we had a lot of trucks blast past us at 95MPH. Nary a wiggle
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

The hitches for the Revolution are not moved behind the axle as depicted on the video, they are mounted ahead of the axles just as any 5th wheel hitch is located so the pin load is still ahead of the axle.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

OC,

True, but the pivot point HAS been changed. Has that change caused and/or have you noticed any sway while pulling the way you do... BTW I am leaning more towards using the reese revolution in sidewinder mode rather than buying a "SLIDER" hitch for the 3500.

Thanks to all.

Anyone else have any comments?

Happy Trails,

B n D
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill n Diana View Post
OC,

True, but the pivot point HAS been changed. Has that change caused and/or have you noticed any sway while pulling the way you do... BTW I am leaning more towards using the reese revolution in sidewinder mode rather than buying a "SLIDER" hitch for the 3500.

Thanks to all.

Anyone else have any comments?

Happy Trails,

B n D
Yes, the trailer pivot has changed but the pin load has not as is depicted incorrectly in the video. I haven't noticed any sway other than on a few occasions a bus or semi passes me doing at least 15 mph faster than me. Nothing more than a slight wiggle and certainly not white knuckle. I notice the same sway following semi's when they get passed by another semi doing 15+ mph faster.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #10

OC,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps much!

B n D
Old 04-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Site Team

"Another benefit of a sidewinder: you do not have to be so ~precise~ when you back up to hookup. One of you guys back the truck and when close the other can move the sidewinder left/right to align it with the receiver - easy peasy!"

While agree with most of your take on the revolution pin, the above statement has not been my experience. It seems that I have to be more accurate than before for 2 reasons.
1. I can't move my pin by hand. Its too stiff.
2. If not in perfect alignment the wedge won't slide into the hitch.
Perhaps my wedge is too snug a fit but it is as manual describes.
Wish mine was like yours.
: '(

Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

That video is very miss leading
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
X2 to say the least.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
"Another benefit of a sidewinder: you do not have to be so ~precise~ when you back up to hookup. One of you guys back the truck and when close the other can move the sidewinder left/right to align it with the receiver - easy peasy!"

While agree with most of your take on the revolution pin, the above statement has not been my experience. It seems that I have to be more accurate than before for 2 reasons.
1. I can't move my pin by hand. Its too stiff.
2. If not in perfect alignment the wedge won't slide into the hitch.
Perhaps my wedge is too snug a fit but it is as manual describes.
Wish mine was like yours.
: '(

Hmmm...so it seems @ 50% of us (you and OC included) *can't* move the sidewinder arm while the rest of us (myself included) can. One has said he used to be able to move it but now cannot.

This drives the Scientist in me CrAzY!!

So, off to Reese I went and got this:
How the Sidewinder Works
  1. Sidewinder Pivot Point - 22" behind the king pin
  2. Rotating Turret - king pin specific, it attaches to the pin box on the trailer
  3. Universal King Pin Wedge (not pictured) - prevents pivot at fifth wheel hitch
  4. Fifth Wheel King Pin - attaches to the hitch in the truck bed for towing
  5. Sidewinder Arm - is universal and available in 4 styles (16K, 16K with Air-Ride, 19K and 19.5K w/air-ride)
Now, since a sidewinder is meant to pivot at the turret (#2 in the picture), it stands to reason that it should turn freely (as long as that does not result in vertical movement)

Then again, I am not a Reese engineer.

Folks, I think this would be a EXCELLENT discussion topic at Goshen - as OC mentioned, the Reese Engineers are in attendance - so who do we have to suggest this topic to in order for it to be put on the Agenda?
Attached Images

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #15

I have been using the Reese revolution for two years; I have never noticed any sway. I think the video is miss leading.
Gary & Jan
2012 8289WS
2012 F250 King Ranch
galexander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #16

I have a feeling that video was made by pull rite
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #17

Yes, I do beleive and think I stated upfront that the video came from Pull-Rite.

Happy Trails,

B n D
Old 04-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #18

I am strongly considering sidewinder as well for my dodge short bed but I already have a curt Q20 hitch with out the slider and it says the sidewinder will NOT work with the q20 so do I buy different hitch and sidewinder or buy sliding mechanism for the Q20???
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
Especially the narration.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyED View Post
I am strongly considering sidewinder as well for my dodge short bed but I already have a curt Q20 hitch with out the slider and it says the sidewinder will NOT work with the q20 so do I buy different hitch and sidewinder or buy sliding mechanism for the Q20???

I would buy a Q20 slider and sell the other Q20

Tags
sway, trailer

« Trucks | Towing? »