Old 06-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #11

I got the answer from Reese I expected but not what anyone wants to hear, check it out:

Attention: Technical Support

Subject: Reese Revolution Pin Box Problem

Have a Reese Revolution pin box on my 2013, 26.5' Rockwood 5th wheel. Can't budge it by hand which makes hook ups with the wedge installed difficult, I have a short bed 2013 Chevy 2500 HD. The pin box could be positioned by hand when I went on vacation last week but had to use the truck to pull it straight to hook up and come home. Can you suggest a solution to loosen up the pin box. Is the retaining nut torque too tight? Any suggestion will be gratefully appreciated.John,

From: reesewebsite@reeseprod.com [mailto:reesewebsite@reeseprod.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:09 PM
To: Tech Support
Subject: Reese® Website : Contact Form Message (Technical Support)

The following message has been sent from the Reese® website:

The castle nut should be torqued to 80 ft. lbs. and to the next hole location, if needed. We would not expect the arm to be moveable by hand.

Thank you for contacting the Technical Group

Cequent Performance Products

Just as I thought, you get what you get. Good luck all.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #12

I installed my 5th airborne sidewinder last July and still cannot move it by hand. I also have had issues with the 5th wheel locking in the king pin due to the wedge not having much wiggle room. What I did to make it easier was grind down the edges on the wedge about 3/16” to give me a little more clearance, 3/16” does not seem like much but it did help a little. Once I back up to the pin box and the wedge is in the hitch, the jaws close but do not lock. What I do is have the wife raise or lower the landing gear while I slightly pull on the 5th wheel lever, the jaws then lock when it gets to the “perfect” position. If the wife is not around I have a stick that is about 3’ and I can tug on the 5th wheel lever while operating the landing gear button. Now that is what I call coona$$ ingenuity.

2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
I installed my 5th airborne sidewinder last July and still cannot move it by hand. I also have had issues with the 5th wheel locking in the king pin due to the wedge not having much wiggle room. What I did to make it easier was grind down the edges on the wedge about 3/16” to give me a little more clearance, 3/16” does not seem like much but it did help a little. Once I back up to the pin box and the wedge is in the hitch, the jaws close but do not lock. What I do is have the wife raise or lower the landing gear while I slightly pull on the 5th wheel lever, the jaws then lock when it gets to the “perfect” position. If the wife is not around I have a stick that is about 3’ and I can tug on the 5th wheel lever while operating the landing gear button. Now that is what I call coona$$ ingenuity.
I find the same problem both hooking up and detaching. I brushed on a little bearing grease on the 5th wheel and pin. I find that hooking up is a little easier with the pin box about 1/8" above the 5th wheel. I do the same thing as above disconnecting where I have to raise/lower and pull the handle until the lock is freed. I guess we'll get used to it.

Thanks Jmarl1253 for your communication.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
I find the same problem both hooking up and detaching. I brushed on a little bearing grease on the 5th wheel and pin. I find that hooking up is a little easier with the pin box about 1/8" above the 5th wheel. I do the same thing as above disconnecting where I have to raise/lower and pull the handle until the lock is freed. I guess we'll get used to it.

Thanks Jmarl1253 for your communication.
I have found that a little grease on the sides of the wedge and the pin helps quite a bit. I also took an air sander and smoothed the sides of the ramp slot and rounded the top edges. My pin box will not move by hand after 2 trips to FL and a few around home. No problem hooking up even if not aligned exactly straight with the hitch tho.