Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

Reese Revolution Question - Wedge Issue?

Have noticed since day one that when pulling the 5th wheel straight ahead on level ground that the Reese Revolution pin box arm is not perpendicular to the front of the trailer but is canted slightly to the passenger side (right side) of the truck. A bit hard to see in the attached photo but attached it.

Would misadjustment of the wedge cause this to happen?

Wanted the Reese techs to look at this at Goshen, but, they were not available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	86028  
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

Spoke to an engineer at Reese. Told me to loosen the wedge and reinstall. The wedge could be slightly cocked due to a bit of play between the capscrews and the width of the slot in the wedge. (Late Add..... After looking, I am using the custom wedge which does not have a slot and not the universal wedge. But maybe there is still a bit of play. Hmmmm?)

Will give it a try. BUT looking at the manual have a question for the Revolution/Sidewinder folks.

Should the kingpin be as far forward or far rearward (is a bit of play fore and aft between the jaws and the kingpin) when tightening the wedge capscrew. In other words, back in, allow the jaws to close, set the brakes so the kingpin is far forward OR then pull forward so the kingpin is far rearward (then tighten the wedge capscrew).
Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

I would mark the far forward and the far rearward and try for half way in between. If you are using the universal factory wedge, I would STRONGLY suggest buying a new wedge made for your hitch. The factory wedges are junk with the slots. Besides the slots are too large for the bolts and you cannot tighten them enough to keep the wedge from moving.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

Thanks. Just checked the photo, I am using the custom wedge for my Reese R16 (does not have a long slot, but looking in the catalog, it has two short slots) and not the universal wedge (with the long slot). But maybe there is still some play? Hmmm?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #5

In addition to my alignment issue when towing, I failed to mention it is getting harder and harder to hitch and unhitch. Called etrailer.com and asked what wedge I should be using with the Reese R16 (now called a Titan 16K) and the 10K Revolution/Sidewinder pin box.

Told me I need a RP30865.
Sidewinder Wedge for Reese Titan 5th Wheel Trailer Hitches Reese Accessories and Parts RP30865

Believe the dealer installed a 30850, looking at my photo.
Sidewinder Wedge Kit for Pro Series 15K, 16K & 20K (2009 and newer) Reese Accessories and Parts 30850

Maybe Reese is now manufacturing a new wedge or maybe the dealer installed the wrong wedge? Cannot find anything else on the net showing hitch vs. wedge applications. Anyone?

And, the installation instructions have been revised. Paraphrasing, say back into the hitch to latch, pull foward with the trailer tires blocked, tap the wedge into postion, torque to 160 ft-lbs.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #6

I see ALOT of posts about this issue with the Reese Revolution hitches.
Almost ended up with one on my 5th wheel. But opted for something else.
Sure glad I did that as I haven't had any issues.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #7

I really like the Revolution hitch despite the minor issues. Much more convenient than a slider. The wedge I mentioned is a brand new part from Reese, per my phone call with Cequent/Reese an hour ago and will not be available until the end of September. Called Reese cause no one had it in stock.

The new design may have been prompted by user feedback.

Have it on backorder with etrailer.com. Will report after I get it and install it.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #8

I also have the 30850 wedge and have one heck of a time hooking up and aligning. It was easier for me to not use the sidewinder. I think I may order the RP30865 and give it a shot.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

One person I talked to indicated trouble hitching and unhitching could be due to how the wedge was installed.

The new instructions tell us to have the wedge bolting finger tight, hitch the trailer, block the trailer wheels and pull the truck forward to straighten the hitch (eliminate any fore/aft play) and set the truck brake. Then tap the wedge in place (was told not to beat on it) and tighten. Then torque the bolting.

Would seem to me pulling the truck forward may be a key item. Would eliminate any play and the trailer kingpin would be most rearward. When the wedge is driven and hits the kingpin, the wedge would be most rearward. As a result the kingpin capture area would be the largest.

And then was told to lubricate the wedge and the rear surface of the kingpin with a high viscosity lithium based grease. The lubrication points are shown in the manual.

Opinions?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
And then was told to lubricate the wedge and the rear surface of the kingpin with a high viscosity lithium based grease. The lubrication points are shown in the manual.
That's the way I lub mine.That takes all the noise,except the occasional clunk.I still use mine,even though we just traded into a 3500 w/ a 6 1/2 ft.bed.No worries about ever hitting the cab. I really do like the hitch and don't have any trouble hitching,straight or at a angle.

Back to the OP's question,I really don't see how the wedge could do this.Unless it's drilled and taped crooked.I would be doing some measuring to see if the whole hitch is straight.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Lube, Lube Lube!! Clean it off mid season with mineral spirits and relube. Works great when lubed. Also hitch specific wedge. I used the universal wedge for the first 2 seasons. This year no go, bought a Reese wedge. Back to working great!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Reese Revolution

The conventional wisdom is that the pin box, since it is the rotation point instead of the hitch (with the wedge installed) a light application on the edge of the wedge and the side of the pin box below will help the hitching process. Also recommended is a application of WD 40 to the hitch lever.

There is a good video out there on the correct way to hook up the wedge.

From my experience I've found that making sure the pin box is perfectly straight when hitching makes it easier. Also we've found that sometimes you have to back into the trailer a bit to hitch it or unhitch. We eliminated a lot of frustration eventually so that now it's a snap. The video says to torque to 150 ft lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 3.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	86511  

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #13

Received an e-mail and the new wedge has been shipped.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #14
yaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
Received an e-mail and the new wedge has been shipped.
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm hoping the OP is still around to comment on the new wedge. I'm facing this exact same issue. I have the old style wedge, and wonder if the new wedge solved this issue?
yaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #15

I have the turning point on my Rockwood Ultra lite ... my hitch is a B&W 18K Patriot I bought the wedge to match ... works great ... I use a little white lithium and checked the torque on wedge calls for 200lbs ... set up is super quiet ... checked torque on base rail and all bolts on hitch a few were a little short been about 7 weeks since it was installed ... really like the way the turning point tracks ....
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #16

Reese Revolution Question - Wedge Issue?

When I originally installed the custom wedge for mine, I moved the rig into the street, loosened the wedge slightly, then pulled in a straight line down the street. I stopped in the street, tapped the wedge forward with a ball peen hammer, tightened and torqued the bolts, and haven’t touched it since. 16,000 miles.
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #17
yaw

I ended up doing pretty much that. I called Reese. They confirmed that the old style wedge that I purchased (30850) is the correct wedge for my 16k hitch. After resetting the wedge there have been no further issues. I plan on taking the pinbox apart and greasing it later this year. I suspect that should further improve things.
yaw is offline   Reply With Quote