Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

Reese Revoultion Hitch

Using a Pull-Rite Hitch with Reese Revolution pin box. Cannot get jaws on hitch to release. Dealer says it is because of the pressure on the jaws because hitch is not recommended with this pin box. Now wants to sell me a Super Glide hitch. Said even a Reese R16K I would have same problems. Cannot believe this to be a true statement.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
WeBGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

So, I just got a 5er this spring and have the Pull-Rite 16K (non-slider, just super 5th) and Revolution (activated since I have a short bed). And I have never had an real issue. Much like with a bumper pull, you may have to relieve pressure on the hitch point by backing up or pulling forward slightly, depending upon slope of ground and where the pin is resting on the jaws. But if I do that and lift the trailer so that I start to see a bit of gap at the front of the king pin plate, I never have an issue. I love the combination and love that the pull rite snaps into place automatically telling me that I'm hitched tight. Took a few times to learn the right height for camper to hitch but now its a piece of cake! And my dealer even recommended the Pull-Rite hitch for me.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
So, I just got a 5er this spring and have the Pull-Rite 16K (non-slider, just super 5th) and Revolution (activated since I have a short bed). And I have never had an real issue. Much like with a bumper pull, you may have to relieve pressure on the hitch point by backing up or pulling forward slightly, depending upon slope of ground and where the pin is resting on the jaws. But if I do that and lift the trailer so that I start to see a bit of gap at the front of the king pin plate, I never have an issue. I love the combination and love that the pull rite snaps into place automatically telling me that I'm hitched tight. Took a few times to learn the right height for camper to hitch but now its a piece of cake! And my dealer even recommended the Pull-Rite hitch for me.
I have the Reese 16K hitch and use the activated Reese Revolution. As tomjsas says, you have to relieve the pressure on the hitch, which I do by installing the Bal X Chocks on both sides, shift the truck into neutral and let the truck move, set the emergency brake and try the hitch release. Most times, I have to raise the trailer as tomjsas says to a point where there is about 1/8" clearance between the pin box and the hitch plate. The latch pulls very easily then.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #4

I have the 5th Airborne Sidewinder and have the same issues. I put a grinder to the wedge and knocked out the angels and rounded it off on the bottom, in all I probably took off less than an 1/8". This did help some, but there is a trick I figured out that works well to release and close the jaws. The kingpin has to be in the perfect spot to open or close the jaws, when I need to open the jaws I pull slightly on my release handle while raising or lowering the landing gear, and when it hits the sweet spot the jaws open.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

I have the Pro-Series, 16k which I'm told is made by the good people at Reese. My revolution gets stuck too. I'll just bump it into drive and reverse (like a bump test when you first hook up) and it will come free.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Site Team

I have 16 k Reese slider with revolution hitch. The only time it has jammed was when I had jacked RV up too high before pulling release handle. Lowered the pin back onto hitch and release pulled easily. Hope you get it worked out.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #7

Thank you gentlemen for all of your suggestions. I did finally take it to the dealer because nothing. Low and behold, the hitch was defective. Jaws were bound by piece of metal that broke off. Not a real warm and fuzzy feeling considering all of the "bad" images that pop into your mind when someone says "hitch is defective". Anyway they replaced it and it seems t be working good now. I think they can remove the defibrillator now!!!!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
WeBGone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch