Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Heck, I am too old to pull 300. I usually quit @ 140-150 and get my son to pull it if it's over 150, sometimes if it's over 125 and I refuse to put a cheater bar on my calibrated wrench

Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #12

As I said before we have one on our CC, also have a slider hitch in the truck bed that has never been used. We pulled from TN to Fl then to DC, around 1500 miles with no problems at all. The unit did looseing up a little, the four bolts holding the unit are only torqued to 40 to 45 ft lbs, the pin box bolts are at 210 ft lbs. I did retorque the four bolts after 700 miles and will check them again before heading out again next week. To me the chucking was reduced after putting the sidewinder on. The only thing I wish I had done was got the 5th Airborne Sidewinder because of the air ride.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

I installed a 0.075" thick steel shim under each leg of the hitch which took all the slack out of the mounting rail pin/hitch leg joints and what little chucking was there before disappeared entirely. The hitch is tight in the bed of the truck now.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

What 4 bolts were 40-45? That is really loose! The 4 bolts on mine are 5/8 gr 5 and are torqued to 140-150. I'm debating on changing them out for gr 8.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #15

Went back and double checked the Reese installation instructions on the 19K Sidewinder and also went to web site to insure I read it right. The 4 GR-8 cap bolts attaching the sidewinder to the turret, after insuring the slip ring and plate are stright and coated with white lithium grease should be torqued to 45 ft lbs each in a cross patterning 1-3-2-4. The turret bolts attaching it to the pin box are 3/4 GR-5 at 275 ft lbs and the wedge is 150 ft lbs. This info can be found at the Reese site or Trailer Hitch Instructions For DrawTite, Reese, Hidden Hitch & More - etrailer.com
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

I haven't taken mine apart. Didn't get any installation instructions or manual of any kind. Therefore was not aware of the 3/8" bolts inside. Thanks for the info. May take it apart and check things out just to make sure.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #17

"May take it apart and check things out just to make sure."
=====================================
I often take new things apart just so I know for myself exactly how things are constructed and function. That often shows me where to look for potential problem areas long before any issues arise.

By the way dunnnc, the 'chucking' people refer to is not due to the slop in the hitch, but is caused by some mysterious combination of suspension dynamics and road construction. You can have 'chucking' with a perfectly tight hitch. I don't think anyone has found the exact cause, nor a solution to it.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Just got these from Reese Tech Support for the 10K & 16K Sidewinders that are factory installed from Forest River. Interesting that the 1-1/2" castellated nut is only tightened to 80 lb/ft and then tightened to the next slot to install the cotter pin. These hitches do not have the 4 bolts on top of the pivot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10K Revolution Sidewinder Instructions.pdf (530.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: pdf 16K Revolution Sidewinder Instructions.pdf (532.0 KB, 458 views)
Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #19

My Sidewinder doesn't have quite the gap that the pictures have, but there is a bit more gap in back than in front when hooked to the truck. The only issue I have had after almost one year of ownership (~1500 towing miles) is a horrible squeaking when turning. I think it was just some grit on the wear plate, and some WD-40 squirted in fixed it.

Also, ours has loosened up so that I can turn it by hand. I usually turn it around under the trailer when parked to avoid someone running into it (we have 3 kids under 9). So far, I love the Sidewinder, and I love the fact I don't need a sliding hitch and could go with the B&W Patriot...it's an awesome hitch!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #20

fordman, I also have the Patriot 16K hitch. I have not picked up new 5ver yet
I thought the Patriot looked like a good hitch. (My First 5th wheel) Do you think the rubber mounts under the head make it a smoother ride? Do you put any lube on those rubber mounts?? Did you need any special wedge on the siderwindwer?

Paul J S is offline   Reply With Quote