Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #101
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike101 View Post
Theres a manual ? Why ? The dealer knows it all and shares that knowledge during the non stressed first time you hook up at the dealer with absolutly nothing else on your mind at the time. Manual shmanual.. Trust the dealer... from manufacturers mouth to the dealers... ok I will stop. All that to say I never knew there was a manual until I went on line.
The Tom Johnson Camping Center tech in Concord, NC handed me both manuals and a very thorough explanation of both the Sidewinder, the 16K hitch and the whole trailer. He was very good. Also drilled the 8 holes in the axle supports,installed the gr 8 1/2" bolts, washers and nuts to insure the axles didn't tilt down(4 hrs). Couldn't have had a more complete PDI.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #102
Snowsail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
The Tom Johnson Camping Center tech in Concord, NC handed me both manuals and a very thorough explanation of both the Sidewinder, the 16K hitch and the whole trailer. He was very good. Also drilled the 8 holes in the axle supports,installed the gr 8 1/2" bolts, washers and nuts to insure the axles didn't tilt down(4 hrs). Couldn't have had a more complete PDI.
Quote:
First off, those are the instructions for the Sidewinder Pin Box, not the 16K Hitch. There is no lock on the pin box. The lock is on the hitch itself.
Sorry for the mistake, here are the instructions for the Husky 16K.There is No place on mine to lock it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HUSKY 16K HITCH INSTRUCTIONS.pdf (606.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #103
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsail View Post
Sorry for the mistake, here are the instructions for the Husky 16K.There is No place on mine to lock it.
No problem Snowsail, I would want to add some method of locking the hitch to keep someone from tampering with it. I made a "T" handle for mine so I could use the tonneau cover with locks in addition to padlocking the hitch. Guess I am just too paranoid about someone playing dirty tricks and me being infected with CRS and not checking the hitch when leaving a restaurant, etc.

I guess old age makes some of us like that.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #104

After reading the posts about locks I checked my Kurt 16K no lock. I will have to figure something out to lock it. I never but much thought into it before I read this thread. You guys got me all Paranoid.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #105
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
After reading the posts about locks I checked my Kurt 16K no lock. I will have to figure something out to lock it. I never but much thought into it before I read this thread. You guys got me all Paranoid.
You say you have a Curt 16k, which model?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #106
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
These guys getting you "all paranold." - I know the feeling! Just ask me about the Trail Express tires.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #107
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
These guys getting you "all paranold." - I know the feeling! Just ask me about the Trail Express tires.
Quote:
You say you have a Curt 16k, which model?

Not meant to make anyone paranoid, just some voices of experience from at least one old coot with too many years of camping to take anymore chances/risks than necessary.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #108
B47

Quote:
Not meant to make anyone paranoid, just some voices of experience from at least one old coot with too many years of camping to take anymore chances/risks than necessary.
And I Sir say - keep 'em coming!
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #109

We will be picking up our 2010 305VRET VCross on Saturday. I could pick it up on Wednesday but I am still nervous about towing a "building" behind me. From what I have been hearing from others it will be hardly noticeable.
3rdjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #110

Quote:
Just got these from Reese Tech Support for the 10K & 16K Sidewinders that are factory installed from Forest River. Interesting that the 1-1/2" castellated nut is only tightened to 80 lb/ft and then tightened to the next slot to install the cotter pin. These hitches do not have the 4 bolts on top of the pivot.
Good evening everyone,
I'm new to the forum and glad to be here. I own an EverGreen Eco-Lite (UK brand name) 5th wheel.
My trailer is fitted with the Reese Revolution, and because of my short bed truck I have decided to use the sidewinder feature. Having removed the 2 large bolts at the rear of the pin box, i was fully expecting the head to rotate. It will not budge. I even tried knocking the front with a Hide Hammer. I sprayed some white grease into the hairline gap and knocked it again. It did move slightly. However, it is really tight. Is this right? Will it free up in time? Is it safe to tow?
Any advice would be welcome.
Many thanks in advance
afp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by afp001 View Post
Good evening everyone,
I'm new to the forum and glad to be here. I own an EverGreen Eco-Lite (UK brand name) 5th wheel.
My trailer is fitted with the Reese Revolution, and because of my short bed truck I have decided to use the sidewinder feature. Having removed the 2 large bolts at the rear of the pin box, i was fully expecting the head to rotate. It will not budge. I even tried knocking the front with a Hide Hammer. I sprayed some white grease into the hairline gap and knocked it again. It did move slightly. However, it is really tight. Is this right? Will it free up in time? Is it safe to tow?
Many thanks in advance
Mine was the same way it will free up when you start using it. Mine still has a little resistance but I can move it by hand with a little effort.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #112
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Good evening everyone,
Many thanks in advance
I have towed ours over 2500 miles and it hasn't loosened yet. I did get it to turn 90° by hooking my truck to it and with a 5000# cargo strap pull it to the side. Had to pull it back straight the same way. Make sure you install the wedge behind the hitchpin before you tow the trailer, otherwise you will have a double swivel joint and BIG problems.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #113

Quote:
Good evening everyone,
Many thanks in advance
Mine took about 500 miles of towing and now I can turn it by hand.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #114

Thank you gents. You've made an Englishman very happy.
afp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #115

Quote:
Good evening everyone,
Many thanks in advance
I use my Reese Revol. also, I have a Rookwood 8289WS. I have also called and they told me the same. I have traveled over 8000 miles with this set up. They say after about 500 miles it will turn a little eaiser. Mine did during my trip where I could push it by hand. I have not used it now in a month or two and tried to move it. I couldn't. I had it checked at the dealer and they said it was fine and at the right 80lbs. When you start to use it spay a little wd 40 on the pad. Trust me I could not budget it by hand but I had no problem when I took it to the dealer to check. I liked when I was able to move it by hand and get it out of the way at the camp ground. If mine stay's tight I will back that nut off one space at a time. You will see a small gap at the rear end. Do not worry that is normal. I think it is the best thing ever. I made u turns when I went down the wrong roads it will turn on a dime without flexing your tires to do it. Hope this help I'm sure you will enjoy it........
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #116
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I use my Reese Revol. also, I have a Rookwood 8289WS. I have also called and they told me the same. I have traveled over 8000 miles with this set up. They say after about 500 miles it will turn a little eaiser. Mine did during my trip where I could push it by hand. I have not used it now in a month or two and tried to move it. I couldn't. I had it checked at the dealer and they said it was fine and at the right 80lbs. When you start to use it spay a little wd 40 on the pad. Trust me I could not budget it by hand but I had no problem when I took it to the dealer to check. I liked when I was able to move it by hand and get it out of the way at the camp ground. If mine stay's tight I will back that nut off one space at a time. You will see a small gap at the rear end. Do not worry that is normal. I think it is the best thing ever. I made u turns when I went down the wrong roads it will turn on a dime without flexing your tires to do it. Hope this help I'm sure you will enjoy it........
I have sprayed mine with WD40, lithium, silcone and everything else I could think of except gasoline. I even sprayed some diesel fuel on it and it will not turn by hand even when we towed straight thru from Orlando to Concord, NC. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if it turns by hand as I use it to hold Old Glory and it's light. I will not be loosening the nut, regardless as the designers know a lot more about what is required than I do. I removed the nut entirely and still couldn't move it without the truck and cargo strap. I finally just tightened it back to 80 lb/ft and re-installed the cotter pin.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
...it will turn on a dime without flexing your tires to do it.
Not true...it still flexes your tires as it would on a sharp turn with any tandem axle trailer.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #118
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
Not true...it still flexes your tires as it would on a sharp turn with any tandem axle trailer.
X2, the hitch has nothing to do with the tires flexing. They will flex regardless of the hitch, even a tongue trailer tires flex in a turn.