Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #61
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
Like anything else, if set up properly, there should be no issues. I've had no issues with mine at all. I bought a wedge for $35, had it installed when I picked up the trailer, and the only thing I have done since is to grease it and spray a little WD-40 where it pivots.

The issues that I have seen seem to be due to improper set up.
Just what is this "custom wedge" or "wedge" that I am seeing regarding this hitch?

I don't have one and was never told I needed one and the Husky manual doesn't refer to one.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #62
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
The more I read about the issues with the Reese Sidewinder, the more satisfied I am with my Husky 16 KS hitch - no need for custom wedges and all the other added things that need to be done before the Sidewinder worls properly.

The only thing I added to my Husky is a lube plate.

When I am properly hooked up, the red portion of the handle is pulled in and no longer visible and a short pin painted green protrudes out telling me I am good to go - just make the electrical hook up and connect the breakaway cable.
FYI, the Sidewinder doesn't even require a lube plate. The Sidewinder has nothing to do with the hitch. Any hitch will work with the Sidewinder. It just has to be set up properly and comes with everything you need. The dealers just need to do something really out of the ordinary. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. My Reese 16K works just fine, as do 99% of all the hitches. When I hitch, the handle comes out and goes in, flip the lock and that's it.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #63

Quote:
Just what is this "custom wedge" or "wedge" that I am seeing regarding this hitch?

I don't have one and was never told I needed one and the Husky manual doesn't refer to one.
B47, it sounds like you are not familiar with the SideWinder. Go to the following link, and watch the video: Pin Boxes - Reese

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #64
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
FYI, the Sidewinder doesn't even require a lube plate. The Sidewinder has nothing to do with the hitch. Any hitch will work with the Sidewinder. It just has to be set up properly and comes with everything you need. The dealers just need to do something really out of the ordinary. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. My Reese 16K works just fine, as do 99% of all the hitches. When I hitch, the handle comes out and goes in, flip the lock and that's it.
dunnnc - don't misunderstand me here, but lately there have been several complains (and some non complaints) about this hitch and I am just trying to learn about the hitch.

What lock do you "flip" when hooking up? Mine is automatic - the red handle goes retracted and the green pin protrudes.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #65
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
B47, it sounds like you are not familiar with the SideWinder. Go to the following link, and watch the video: Pin Boxes - Reese
fordman - thanks for link. I guess the reason I didn't know about the Sidewinder is because our RV salesman said to be sure to buy a TV with at least a 6 foot bed for towing our Silverback 29rk. We listened and brought a 2012 Ram 2500 with a 6 foot bed and it works great.

The video said the Sidewinder was for shortbed TV's. Just trying to learn and once again - my Husky works great.

BTW - our Silverback has a factory installed decal on the front cap saying "90 degrees plus turns"
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #66
Mod free 5er

Quote:
dunnnc - don't misunderstand me here, but lately there have been several complains (and some non complaints) about this hitch and I am just trying to learn about the hitch.

What lock do you "flip" when hooking up? Mine is automatic - the red handle goes retracted and the green pin protrudes.
It is a little tab that you can flip over and insert a lock in to keep inquisitive fingers/hands from doing things that shouldn't be done. I take it that yours has no such safety device?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #67
B47

Quote:
It is a little tab that you can flip over and insert a lock in to keep inquisitive fingers/hands from doing things that shouldn't be done. I take it that yours has no such safety device?
Boy the things a guy can learn on this forum.

I don't recall seeing or reading about a flip tab on mine. I will check again.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #68
Mod free 5er

Quote:
fordman - thanks for link. I guess the reason I didn't know about the Sidewinder is because our RV salesman said to be sure to buy a TV with at least a 6 foot bed for towing our Silverback 29rk. We listened and brought a 2012 Ram 2500 with a 6 foot bed and it works great.

The video said the Sidewinder was for shortbed TV's. Just trying to learn and once again - my Husky works great.

BTW - our Silverback has a factory installed decal on the front cap saying "90 degrees plus turns"
B47 you need to understand that the Sidewinder does not come as an "Add on" feature, it is standard equipment on our trailers. Don't understand the comments and comparisons without a working knowledge of both.

The advantage to the Sidewinder is it does not require a slider, automatic or manual, which in most folks mind is a big advantage.

Oh, and I have a 6.5' bed and pull with a full hard cover tonneau cover in place.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sidewinder in affect moves your pivot point rearward in bed to simulate a slider hitch in maneuver position.
Instead of the camper pivoting at the hitch it pivots 2 foot back under the pin box.
This help?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #70
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Sidewinder in affect moves your pivot point rearward in bed to simulate a slider hitch in maneuver position.
Instead of the camper pivoting at the hitch it pivots 2 foot back under the pin box.
This help?
20" to the rear to be exact.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #71
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

20" to the rear to be exact.
Lol see I knew you'd have it down to the inch!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #72
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Lol see I knew you'd have it down to the inch!
4" means a lot. even 2"

Just re-read the manual it is 20" on a regular Sidewinder replacement hitch and 22" on the Reese Revolution like is the factory install, according to the manual.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #73
B47

Quote:
This help?
Thanks to you all that have provided imformation about the Sidewinder. I know now a bit more about them than before.

As I said earlier - I don't have an opinion, good or bad , about them, but decided to ask some questions.

I am still glad I have the Husky - no more than necessary moving parts and simple operation.

Once again - thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks to you all that have provided imformation about the Sidewinder. I know now a bit more about them than before... no more than necessary moving parts and simple operation.
Once again - thanks.
But, you have a slider, whether you need it or not, which we don't have, so you have more parts than needed with the Sidewinder.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #75
B47

Quote:
But, you have a slider, whether you need it or not, which we don't have, so you have more parts than needed with the Sidewinder.
If by saying I have a slider, you mean I can move the hitch plate fore and aft, then you are correct.

But to do that, I would have to remove the bed rail pins, move the hitch plate assembly fore or aft and reinstall the bed rail pins. I never anticipate having to do that with my present combination of TV and FW.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #76
Mod free 5er

Quote:
If by saying I have a slider, you mean I can move the hitch plate fore and aft, then you are correct.

But to do that, I would have to remove the bed rail pins, move the hitch plate assembly fore or aft and reinstall the bed rail pins. I never anticipate having to do that with my present combination of TV and FW.
My mistake, I thought you had the 16K S EZ ROLLER. Looking at the instruction manual on the 16ks, I don't see any means to lock the hitch to prevent some scoundrel from moving it into the unhitch mode.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #77
B47

Quote:
My mistake, I thought you had the 16K S EZ ROLLER. Looking at the instruction manual on the 16ks, I don't see any means to lock the hitch to prevent some scoundrel from moving it into the unhitch mode.
Thanks for clearing this up - you just saved me from having to look in my Husky manual to see what you were talking about. Yes I have the Husky 16 KS hitch.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #78
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mine just has a lever that I guess I have to move for and aft to slide but I have yet to move it .
I use it to dry out my beer koozies when there wet
Click image for larger version

Name:	30096.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	16744
Click image for larger version

Name:	img2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	16745
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #79
B47

Quote:
Mine just has a lever that I guess I have to move for and aft to slide but I have yet to move it .
I use it to dry out my beer koozies when there wet
Attachment 16744
Attachment 16745
Similar to mine except I just have one pull handle (your top one). if I have to move the whole assembly, I have to remove 4 pins that attach the hitch plate assembly to the bed rails.

Do you have some sort of green pin that protudes when you are properly engaged?

PS - a man of your standing really needs to drink a better beer than that "Colorado Kool Aid" junk.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #80
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Similar to mine except I just have one pull handle (your top one). if I have to move the whole assembly, I have to remove 4 pins that attach the hitch plate assembly to the bed rails.

Do you have some sort of green pin that protudes when you are properly engaged?

PS - a man of your standing really needs to drink a better beer than that "Colorado Kool Aid" junk.
And no way to lock them in the latched position? If I didn't have the tonneau cover on mine plus the locking feature, that would scare me that some jerk would somehow move the lever into the unlatch position and me being infected with CRS wouldn't notice it and drive off with the 5er tearing the heck out of itself and my old broken down truck.

BTW, that Colorado Kool Aid is OK, just don't use very much of it. Maybe a 6pak in the last 30 yrs.