Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #81
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
And no way to lock them in the latched position? If I didn't have the tonneau cover on mine plus the locking feature, that would scare me that some jerk would somehow move the lever into the unlatch position and me being infected with CRS wouldn't notice it and drive off with the 5er tearing the heck out of itself and my old broken down truck.

BTW, that Colorado Kool Aid is OK, just don't use very much of it. Maybe a 6pak in the last 30 yrs.
Well I can see what you are concerned about - but it has been our experience when unhooking that you can never simply pull the handle all the way out without first either backing the TV up a bit or moving the TV forward a bit before getting the handle all the way out showing red and the green pin retracting.

I like it that way as it gives you another oportunity to check that everything is ready for you to unhook.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #82
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Well I can see what you are concerned about - but it has been our experience when unhooking that you can never simply pull the handle all the way out without first either backing the TV up a bit or moving the TV forward a bit before getting the handle all the way out showing red and the green pin retracting.

I like it that way as it gives you another oportunity to check that everything is ready for you to unhook.
May be , but in the chance that everything worked against you while parked at a restaurant and someone pulled the handle and was un-noticed by you and you get in the truck, take off and BANG!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #83
Snowsail

Here are the instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10K Revolution Sidewinder Instructions.pdf (530.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #84
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Similar to mine except I just have one pull handle (your top one). if I have to move the whole assembly, I have to remove 4 pins that attach the hitch plate assembly to the bed rails.

Do you have some sort of green pin that protudes when you are properly engaged?

PS - a man of your standing really needs to drink a better beer than that "Colorado Kool Aid" junk.
colorado kool aid !

My drink of choice is from Wisconsin called point special but I cant get it unless I am there which will be in three weeks !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #85
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
And no way to lock them in the latched position? If I didn't have the tonneau cover on mine plus the locking feature, that would scare me that some jerk would somehow move the lever into the unlatch position and me being infected with CRS wouldn't notice it and drive off with the 5er tearing the heck out of itself and my old broken down truck.

BTW, that Colorado Kool Aid is OK, just don't use very much of it. Maybe a 6pak in the last 30 yrs.
mine locks with a padlock when latched to keep from coming open .
Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Ditto that. The $10 padlock was worth it to me for the peace of mind.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #87
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
Ditto that. The $10 padlock was worth it to me for the peace of mind.
Ditto that, the padlock plus the locked tonneau cover for me. Paranoid in my old age plus CRS.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #88
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120718_201006.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	16749

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120718_201016.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	16750
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #89
Mod free 5er

If I had a hitch that didn't come with a factory locking device of some sort, you can bet your sweet petunia it would have one before it left my driveway. Either bolted on or welded on, but it would have one!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #90
B47

Quote:
May be , but in the chance that everything worked against you while parked at a restaurant and someone pulled the handle and was un-noticed by you and you get in the truck, take off and BANG!
I guess almost anything is possible - but we always check the hitch after each stop and if the handle is showing red in addition to not being fully retracted plus the green pin not showing and if we don't see green and we do see red, then we surely would investigate further.

I hope that in our future travels, someone pulling the handle while we are parked is the most I will have to contend with.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #91
B47

Quote:
Isn't this similar to the mod that Herk was talking about recently that he installed?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #92
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsail View Post
Here are the instructions.
Where in these instructions does it show or mention some sort of a lock to be installed after hooking up? I see nothing in the parts list or the instructions.

Under the "Unhooking Procedure" it says in step 6 "Remove bail pin from hole in handle." Is this the so called lock that some of you mentioned?

If it is, then I guess you don't install the lock, but be sure to remove it before unhooking.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #93
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Where in these instructions does it show or mention some sort of a lock to be installed after hooking up? I see nothing in the parts list or the instructions.

Under the "Unhooking Procedure" it says in step 6 "Remove bail pin from hole in handle." Is this the so called lock that some of you mentioned?

If it is, then I guess you don't install the lock, but be sure to remove it before unhooking.
First off, those are the instructions for the Sidewinder Pin Box, not the 16K Hitch. There is no lock on the pin box. The lock is on the hitch itself.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #94
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Isn't this similar to the mod that Herk was talking about recently that he installed?
No, Herk was talking and showing a pin catcher in the case the latch inadvertently does not latch and the pin being caught before it drops down and damaging the truck & trailer. Page 7 figure 16 shows the latch closed. You put the padlock in the closed latch which locks the handle from being pulled out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reese 16K Hitch Manual.pdf (375.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #95
B47

Quote:
No, Herk was talking and showing a pin catcher in the case the latch inadvertently does not latch and the pin being caught before it drops down and damaging the truck & trailer. Page 7 figure 16 shows the latch closed. You put the padlock in the closed latch which locks the handle from being pulled out.
Thanks - I see the latch, but the instructions or parts list doesn't mention or show a lock being installed and being a guy who believes that instuctions should do just that - instruct.

However, I now believe I know as much about the Reese Sidewinder and associated hitch as I want to I won't be posting on this thread again.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #96
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47

Thanks - I see the latch, but the instructions or parts list doesn't mention or show a lock being installed and being a guy who believes that instuctions should do just that - instruct.

However, I now believe I know as much about the Reese Sidewinder and associated hitch as I want to I won't be posting on this thread again.

Thanks again.
Instruction manuals are just another mans opinion. Imo respectively!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #97
B47

Quote:
Instruction manuals are just another mans opinion. Imo respectively!
Well at the risk of breaking my word, I must say that in the world of U.S. civil avaiation aircraft maintenance ( and i believe military maintenance also) that your opinion could cost you fines and possible suspension or revocation of your FAA mechanics certificate (if you had one) and in the most extreme cases jail time by not following instructions furnished by an aviation manufacturer of parts or an aircraft builder when performing maintenance on a U.S. registered civil aircraft or component thereof.

I have personally been involved as a FAA maintenance inspector in bringing enforcement action against persons and corportations doing maintenance and not following the manufacturer's manual instructions or the air carrier they were employed by and not following the manual.

I will not go into this any further here, but if you want to PM me I will show you the rules.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #98
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Well at the risk of breaking my word, I must say that in the world of U.S. civil avaiation aircraft maintenance ( and i believe military maintenance also) that your opinion could cost you fines and possible suspension
Wow, 1st ammendment just got thrown out the window with the U.S. civil aviation. f1100 you can't even have an opinion with those dudes.

Don't really see the correlation between the U.S. civil aviation and a simple latch on a hitch and a padlock.
Maybe f1100turbo understands.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #99
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm just going to giggle out loud!
And thank god I'm breathing today!
Without the humor from frf id be lost.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #100

Theres a manual ? Why ? The dealer knows it all and shares that knowledge during the non stressed first time you hook up at the dealer with absolutly nothing else on your mind at the time. Manual shmanual.. Trust the dealer... from manufacturers mouth to the dealers... ok I will stop. All that to say I never knew there was a manual until I went on line.
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote