Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #1

Reese Sidewinder concern

I saw this picture on another board, and believe it is a Reese Sidewinder, the type that pivots at the back instead of at the hitch.
What concerns me is that gap at the back of the pivot plate. The forces on the pivot pin must be extraordinary to cause a fairly new hitch to already have that much slop in it. And all of the pressure is now on the very front of that pivot plate.
To me, it seems like the wear on this type of hitch would be many times that of a normal fifth wheel hitch setup, as the forces acting on that small contact area would be a multiple of normal pressure.
Now I know that Reece will have designed this thing to the max, and failure is most likely out of the question, but that gap just bothers me.
Has anyone had one a long time?
Is there a anti-friction wear disk at the pivot point?
If so, has anyone had to change that wear disk on a regular basis?
I don't know how long they have been out, maybe not long enough for much feedback.
I just thought it was worth asking about.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

Have one on a CC and the gap does not look right, there are no gaps on mine and we are very happy with it. Is it me or does the picture make it look like its on backwards or is that a cover of some type.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
Have one on a CC and the gap does not look right, there are no gaps on mine and we are very happy with it. Is it me or does the picture make it look like its on backwards or is that a cover of some type.
It is correctly faced as you can see the body of the camper to the left. That is a cover on the bed of the truck since the pin box itself does not move around. A porthole in the top is all that is needed.

All I can say is you better back in straight when hooking up!

That hitch looks broken to me too.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

The picture was taken when there was still pressure on it from hitching. As soon as the pressure is removed, the gap closes. While towing there is no gap. The gap only appears when extra pressure is applied going back. Don't know if it is correct, as it only has about 200 miles on it. There is a wear plate which does not require lubrication from what I was told other than maybe spray silicone if it makes noise. First 5th wheel, so it is a definite learning process. Still don't feel comfortable with the hitch lock like I was with the tongue trailer.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Don't fret guys. This is perfectly normal. The wear plate and pivot contact is only on the front 1/2 of what you see. I have attached some pics that may hopefully demonstrate this. The wear plate does not require lubrication. At least that is the info from the dealer. I have used the Reese Revolution from the start and I am very pleased with its functionality. It moves the pivot point some 20 " back , thus eliminating the need for a sliding hitch. My truck bed is 6'4" and I can turn in excess of 90 degrees. The pics below were taken when not connected to truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120417-00565.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	12300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120417-00566.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	12301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120417-00567.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	12302  
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #6

It sounds as if there is just some variation in manufacturing, some may be tighter than others. I wonder how the ones that are a tad more loose handle 'chucking'? Noticed a poster with a new Sabre having those issues.
But I suppose nothing is ever perfect, and this design does give the short-box crowd a great alternative to the slider hitches.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

The dealer originally installed a slider in my truck and the Sidewinder was dis-abled. As soon as we pulled up to the first stop, we knew we didn't like all the slop and banging the hitch made. As soon as we got home, I called the dealer and talked to the mechanic who said that the banging was inherent with sliders. I ask if I had to have it and he said "No", I can exchange it and activate the Sidewinder, but you have to be more accurate in lining up to hitch. Made the exchange and now there is no banging whatsoever or chucking or whatever it is called. So far, no problem hitching.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
The dealer originally installed a slider in my truck and the Sidewinder was dis-abled. As soon as we pulled up to the first stop, we knew we didn't like all the slop and banging the hitch made. As soon as we got home, I called the dealer and talked to the mechanic who said that the banging was inherent with sliders. I ask if I had to have it and he said "No", I can exchange it and activate the Sidewinder, but you have to be more accurate in lining up to hitch. Made the exchange and now there is no banging whatsoever or chucking or whatever it is called. So far, no problem hitching.

I was told that after some use, you should be able to move the sidewinder by hand which will mean, it doesn't matter what angle you back the truck in; you just make the adjustment manually. Another benefit. Mine hasn't loosened up to that extent yet.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Haven't heard of any complaints or problems. Doubt if there is much variation in the hitch tighteness as there is a torque requirement on the pivot bolt and it is a 1-1/2" bolt/castellated nut. Will definitely have to have the dealer replace the wear plate when the time comes as I my torque wrench only goes to 300 lb/ft.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Haven't heard of any complaints or problems. Doubt if there is much variation in the hitch tighteness as there is a torque requirement on the pivot bolt and it is a 1-1/2" bolt/castellated nut. Will definitely have to have the dealer replace the wear plate when the time comes as I my torque wrench only goes to 300 lb/ft.
I got one that goes to 600 ftlbs!
road trip! A ha a ha that's the way I like it!