Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Leaf Piners View Post
We traveled with a SuperGlide for several years with an Alpen Valhalla and at 14k, it pulled like a dream with our shortbeded F250. Traded to a 2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS--lighter, but equipped with the Sidewinder/Revolution pinbox...so we traded out for a 14K standard hitch.
While the Superglide was always easy to hitch up on the Valhalla, the Revolution required a very lined up orientation in order to lock in clearly. We had learned to work with this, but found it to be an on-going hassle.
But, ultimately (by May, 2015) the pinbox actually sheared a welded nut inside the nose of the Revolution pinbox and we could only tighten one of the two bolts for the wedge. Under tow, this broken nut could have lead to two swivel points on the hitch & pinbox--and untenable situation.
We were stranded, but near Tom Johnson's in Marion, NC, where we had originally bought our Flagstaff.
So, under their advice, we unhitched & locked the Revolution back into its "Transport" mode--basically turning it back into a standard pinbox. In order to tow, we ultimately replaced our 14K Reese with a new Superglide (now smaller and fitting on the already installed universal bed rails) and continued traveling extensively through October, 2015. Easier to hitch, pulls easy, straight, and confidently.
I just felt you needed another view of the Revolution--Tom Johnson's repair group said that they had seen that shearing of the welded nut only once or twice before.
The same nut sheared off of mine, OC was able to get it reinstalled being I had it locked out and was at his house where he and his Son installed some 5" post (2) under the trailer. I don't know how he did it, but we got it back on and torqued to 150 lbs. We took pictures of the nut showing rust and the 2 tacks only holding it. Well I got home and called Cequents they asked for the pictures, I emailed them and had a call in an hour saying they where sending me a complete new hitch. Had them send it to a non-FR service center. In a week they had a brand new one which they installed. Remember my unit is 4 years old. They didn't even question it. The new one installed I still can not turn it by hand. Some people can and I guess some of us can't. It is really easier to hook to when you can't. But that is just my opinion. Once that wedge starts to go into the chute it will move it so I can hook-up and don't really need to back directly into it as some...

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #22

sidewinder

when we bought our new 2014 classic super light they told us the sidewinder hitch was a bear to hook up and not bother using it...stick with original hook up. so is it hard to hook to your vehicle

Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #23

Not hard to hook up on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
More clearance-----------

With the new sidewinder I have more clearance between the cab and front cap. I could turn 90° with the Pul Right hitch and likewise with the sidewinder. With the sidewinder I have more clearance between the corner
of the fifth wheel and truck cab than I did with the Pul Right. I have the short bed F-250.

If people can turn their sidewinder by hand, it is not torqued to 45 ft lb as the specs calls for.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by john219bledsoe View Post
when we bought our new 2014 classic super light they told us the sidewinder hitch was a bear to hook up and not bother using it...stick with original hook up. so is it hard to hook to your vehicle
Sometimes if you only use the Reese Generic wedge it can be depending if your hooking into a non reese hitch. If you get the recommended wedge for your hitch it is no harder then not using it. On the bottom side you will see a bunch of hitch manufacturers and the wedge # needed. Etrailer sells them all around $45.00 bucks.....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #26

I had a wedge custom made for my hitch, no trouble at all hitching up. I have a dent on either side of the cabs rear window from the Cougar we use to have. Lucky it didn't take out the window. Never comes close to the cab with the Revolution.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Hooking up is easier if you have the pin box totally straight, and you are following the suggested height differential by having the pin box a bit lower (1 /2inch) than the hitch. Regarding lube, the recommendation is a light coat of lube on the wedge and the pin box and king pin and also on the hitch. It made a big difference for me. No noise and not too much mess. When you are hooking up and it won't release the hitch handle, try to back up and hold and I've found the handle will seat in the hitch. When unhooking I've found you can back into the pin box and hold and the handle will release.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacdan45 View Post
Hooking up is easier if you have the pin box totally straight, and you are following the suggested height differential by having the pin box a bit lower (1 /2inch) than the hitch. Regarding lube, the recommendation is a light coat of lube on the wedge and the pin box and king pin and also on the hitch. It made a big difference for me. No noise and not too much mess. When you are hooking up and it won't release the hitch handle, try to back up and hold and I've found the handle will seat in the hitch. When unhooking I've found you can back into the pin box and hold and the handle will release.
X'2 That is exactly what I have found. I always load that same way and I get a positive hitch everytime. When I was at the lippert factory, I got out and blocked my rear wheel to bump back and release the pressure off the pin and bar. The mechanic saw me do it and said why do you do it that way? He said here's a trick for you, just drop your legs down and start to raise the pin box from the hitch, he said that would release the pressure automatically. He did it and it worked, but I still block my tires first. You have to block them anyway so I just do it my way and I know then it will not move back once I disconnect...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
New Sidewinder

I have been having trouble connecting up to the sidewinder, I have the custom wedge. Maybe I'm just not completely straight with the hitch and
pin box. Sometimes no problem connects on first try and again two or three tries before it connects.
I will keep in mind about being exactly straight.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #30

When we first got our 5 er,the dealer installed the Sidewinder.We were having problems getting it to latch.I reversed the wedge,per the picture on the instruction sheet,haven't had any problems since. I always am just a little crooked on hitch.Especially at home.Just the way I have to park.I never,well,almost never have any problems hooking up. I try to have the height about halfway up the slide part of the hitch. That way it picks up the 5er just a litlle and it just works for me.